Help! Let's Solve This For Once & All.

What would you recommed to fly for an absolute beginner?

• Total voters

TheOldMonk

What would you recommed to fly for an absolute first time. Building is no problem - Flight First Timer.

1. Tutor.
2. Tiny Trainer.
3. Scout.
4. Storch with 2213 935kv EMax.
5. Explorer.

Draftman1

Flying lessons go along ways in learning how to fly, It helps keep the crashing and rebuilding to a minimum.

bisco

Elite member
i would suggest an aura gyro. keeps the plane straight and level, preventing rolls and loops. as you progress, you can turn it off.

here's josh with a setup run through:

watch

of the aircraft I have flown, I would recommend either the simple scout with an aura5, or a flyer. The reason I would recommend a flyer is that it is easy to build, and repair, so it is an easy, cheap, and simple way to get into the hobby. If you go that rout expect to crash a lot though.

Foamforce

Tiny Trainer with the Trainer wing and a 2s battery, 800mah or less. It floats and barely requires any input to stay straight. Very light so that crashes don’t damage it much. No landing gear to complicate things. Hand launching it is easier than any other plane.

It has two downsides. The first is that the COG point, as marked in the plans, are too far back, making it tail heavy and very pitchy. You can soften that with expo, but it’s better to balance it a half inch in front of the marked COG point. The second downside is the tendency for new pilots to break props on it. That’s fine, just get a bunch of props to start out with.

TheOldMonk

I got an idea - Let's start with Flyer. Build Crash Repeat. Then Graduate To Scout.
of the aircraft I have flown, I would recommend either the simple scout with an aura5, or a flyer. The reason I would recommend a flyer is that it is easy to build, and repair, so it is an easy, cheap, and simple way to get into the hobby. If you go that rout expect to crash a lot though.
Is Flyer easy to fly as the very first flight?
Does the Scout have Gliding Tendency if I go hands-off?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Properly trimmed and COG in the right place, any plane can have good tendency hands off.

I have a FT Trainer that was built by a friend's daughter at Flite Fest '16. it was an instrumental tool in my transition switching from FPV to LOS. I have cratered, cartwheeled, and otherwise crashed it countless times. A little hot glue from time to time has kept it flying all these years.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
I don't have have an instructor here for RC Flight. Please suggest a plane model to be self-taught. @Merv Any Ideas, Please?
The Scout with the Aura Lite flight controller is hard to beat. We recommend ExpressLRS for radio frequency. For that check out the RadioMaster Pocket with ExpressLRS (the one with the internal multi RF module is great and to get ExpressLRS on that you'll want an external module). If you go with the Aura Lite board, you can use a RadioMaster ExpressLRS SERIAL receiver (e.g. RadioMaster RP1). If you do not use the Aura board you will want a PWM receiver such as the RadioMaster ExpressLRS ER4 or ER5A (I like the ER5A as I use one servo per aileron). The ER4 is great when you use a "Y" connector with the ailerons.

I got an idea - Let's start with Flyer. Build Crash Repeat. Then Graduate To Scout.

Is Flyer easy to fly as the very first flight?
Does the Scout have Gliding Tendency if I go hands-off?
I think graduating to a scout would be a good idea as it takes longer to build and repair. The flyer tends to be stable, but without a gyro, any plane will only keep flying hands off if you take your hands off when the plane is pointed away from the ground. It will glide, but I used what I had on hand, so mine is heavier so its not the best glider. If I had to guess, The flyer would have a good glide slope with the proper power pack and batteries. at the end of the day, you will almost certainty crash it, everyone does when they are learning. I would say it is one of the easier planes that I have flown without a gyro.

Piotrsko

Master member
I fancy bigger over everything else, more places and room to make mistakes, easier to figure out orientation during the dreaded backward turning portion of flight.

TheOldMonk

I fancy bigger over everything else, more places and room to make mistakes, easier to figure out orientation during the dreaded backward turning portion of flight.
Yes Bigger and lighter is better, I understand from this conversation. I do not have gyro or Aura - too expensive by the time it shall reach in India. I have got 5 sheets of foam - that is good for 2 FT Flyers and 1 Simple Scout. Let the self-tutoring begin.

Any guidelines for success in flights? I know crashing is inevitable, but any suggestions on minimizing the hazards of crashing?

Bayboos

1. Pick an airframe that is big, slow and self-stabilizing - helps avoid mistakes, gives time to correct, assist with correction when needed.

2. Do your best to build the plane straight, especially if you don't have anyone to do the maiden flight and trim the plane out for you. There is nothing worse than trying to learn how to fly "straight" when the plane does not do that by itself.

3. Build and fly as light as possible to minimize consequences. That includes using reasonable glue (instead of hot glue, which is heavy) if you can. Build the bare minimum - no accessories like landing gear or anything, as few servos as you can get away with etc.. Try to use the smallest battery you can (e.g. to get the CG correct) - as a first timer, your flight times will be short anyway.

4. Use rubber bands to join parts wherever possible (fuselage with wings, etc) - that helps to dissipate the energy of a crash.

5. Fly only in the perfectly calm weather. For the first 10-20 flights, don't even think about flying in any other conditions.

6. Use the lowest control surface deflections recommended. If you are going to do 5, go even lower than recomended, especially on the elevator. This helps with avoiding pilot-induced oscillations and general loss of orientation.

7. Shallow turns. Preferably below 15 degrees, never exceeding 30 - especially when the plane is flying towards you. That helps keep the orientation and gives time to observe and correct.

8. Most crashes happen on take-off and landing - be patient to learn those properly. More on that later.

9. Try not to fly too far or too high - the farther the plane goes, the more difficult is to see what's going on. And this happens way closer than you think.

10. And do not "panic" - if you get into trouble, just "drop everything" (all controls to neutral, zero power). When you are at the beginning of your journey and make a serious mistake, you are most likely going to make it worse, not better. If you do points 1-3 correctly, your best bet most of the time is to let the plane handle your mistakes itself.

Now, I casted a vote for the Storch - in my opinion it is the best plane ever to learn. But to be honest, I was never 100% "fresh", and neither were any of my "students" - it just so happens that all of us have/had some noticeable experience flying full scale. As a second vote I would choose FT Flyer - classic form factor, easy to (re)build and to do it light, large wing/small wing loading, self-stabilizing. If you can, make it bigger than the original. Also, paint it with some very bright, contrasting colors. It helps more than you think.

For the first flights, I would recommend doing it in few steps:
1 - "glide tests": throw the plane with zero power, straight and level - no up or down, exactly at the horizon, making sure wings are horizontal as well (it's a surprisingly common mistake to throw the plane "banked" to one side). For the short duration of the flight, just focus on keeping the wings level with ailerons (4-channel plane, like Storch) or rudder (3-channel, like Flyer). You may pull the elevator SLIGHTLY just before the plane touches the ground - so called "flare".
2 - progress to powered flight, straight and level, or as I like to call it - "walking the plane" (because you will walk quite a lot between flights): do exactly the same thing as 1, but before you throw, add a little power - very little, not enough to make the plane fly level and definitely not to let it climb. Fly as straight as possible, wings level. KEEP THE POWER CONSTANT during the entire flight. Since the plane will descend slower than in the glide tests, you will notice you don't even need to worry about the flare - just remember to cut off the power to zero just before touch-down.
3 - maintaining level flight: keep adding power before the throw, in small increments, up to the point when the plane maintains level flight, exactly at the height of your eyes. At this point, start practicing changing the power during flight. Just a little bit, back and forth, to let it climb for a moment, then descend, then climb again. Still try to keep the wings level and fly as straight as you can. And don't forget to land the plane while you can still see it.
4 - small turns: when you learn to maintain the altitude, introduce small turns. First, no more than 30-45 degrees to one side (change the side every few flights obviously). Use small bank angles when turning, then return to straight flight (wings level), then land. When this will go smoothly, make the plane turn 90 degrees - but not more, to avoid loosing orientation. Then start to make turns in both directions during one flight - for example 90 degrees left, then 90 right (at this point the plane will fly away from you again). Keep the altitude steady - don't let the plane climb (easy to forget when you are excited about the first controlled turns). At the end of this excercise, you should be able to fly side to side, making 180 deg. turns (after the initial 90 deg.)
5 - and the final step - flying towards yourself. When practicing 4, make/let the plane climb a little, and also to fly away from just a little bit more than usual. Then, start to make 90 degrees turn in one direction, flying in a "square pattern". Keep the bank angle low. Focus on making the turns close to 90 degrees, always in the same direction (again, change directions every few flights, but keep it the same during one flight), and the flight between turns as straight as possible. And try not to fly overhead.

Those 5 steps should get you to the point where you can decide when/where to fly straight or turn, how much and how long, to get the plane to the place you want it to be. And hopefully without many crashes, or at least many repairs/rebuilds. After that you can start expanding your "envelope" by adding elevator (finally! but slowly) to see how the plane reacts, making the turns steeper, using the power more aggressively etc. Please remember that all of this is just an advice - you don't have to follow it if you don't want to. Good luck, and have fun!

TheOldMonk

1. Pick an airframe that is big, slow and self-stabilizing - helps avoid mistakes, gives time to correct, assist with correction when needed.

2. Do your best to build the plane straight, especially if you don't have anyone to do the maiden flight and trim the plane out for you. There is nothing worse than trying to learn how to fly "straight" when the plane does not do that by itself.

3. Build and fly as light as possible to minimize consequences. That includes using reasonable glue (instead of hot glue, which is heavy) if you can. Build the bare minimum - no accessories like landing gear or anything, as few servos as you can get away with etc.. Try to use the smallest battery you can (e.g. to get the CG correct) - as a first timer, your flight times will be short anyway.

4. Use rubber bands to join parts wherever possible (fuselage with wings, etc) - that helps to dissipate the energy of a crash.

5. Fly only in the perfectly calm weather. For the first 10-20 flights, don't even think about flying in any other conditions.

6. Use the lowest control surface deflections recommended. If you are going to do 5, go even lower than recomended, especially on the elevator. This helps with avoiding pilot-induced oscillations and general loss of orientation.

7. Shallow turns. Preferably below 15 degrees, never exceeding 30 - especially when the plane is flying towards you. That helps keep the orientation and gives time to observe and correct.

8. Most crashes happen on take-off and landing - be patient to learn those properly. More on that later.

9. Try not to fly too far or too high - the farther the plane goes, the more difficult is to see what's going on. And this happens way closer than you think.

10. And do not "panic" - if you get into trouble, just "drop everything" (all controls to neutral, zero power). When you are at the beginning of your journey and make a serious mistake, you are most likely going to make it worse, not better. If you do points 1-3 correctly, your best bet most of the time is to let the plane handle your mistakes itself.

Now, I casted a vote for the Storch - in my opinion it is the best plane ever to learn. But to be honest, I was never 100% "fresh", and neither were any of my "students" - it just so happens that all of us have/had some noticeable experience flying full scale. As a second vote I would choose FT Flyer - classic form factor, easy to (re)build and to do it light, large wing/small wing loading, self-stabilizing. If you can, make it bigger than the original. Also, paint it with some very bright, contrasting colors. It helps more than you think.

For the first flights, I would recommend doing it in few steps:
1 - "glide tests": throw the plane with zero power, straight and level - no up or down, exactly at the horizon, making sure wings are horizontal as well (it's a surprisingly common mistake to throw the plane "banked" to one side). For the short duration of the flight, just focus on keeping the wings level with ailerons (4-channel plane, like Storch) or rudder (3-channel, like Flyer). You may pull the elevator SLIGHTLY just before the plane touches the ground - so called "flare".
2 - progress to powered flight, straight and level, or as I like to call it - "walking the plane" (because you will walk quite a lot between flights): do exactly the same thing as 1, but before you throw, add a little power - very little, not enough to make the plane fly level and definitely not to let it climb. Fly as straight as possible, wings level. KEEP THE POWER CONSTANT during the entire flight. Since the plane will descend slower than in the glide tests, you will notice you don't even need to worry about the flare - just remember to cut off the power to zero just before touch-down.
3 - maintaining level flight: keep adding power before the throw, in small increments, up to the point when the plane maintains level flight, exactly at the height of your eyes. At this point, start practicing changing the power during flight. Just a little bit, back and forth, to let it climb for a moment, then descend, then climb again. Still try to keep the wings level and fly as straight as you can. And don't forget to land the plane while you can still see it.
4 - small turns: when you learn to maintain the altitude, introduce small turns. First, no more than 30-45 degrees to one side (change the side every few flights obviously). Use small bank angles when turning, then return to straight flight (wings level), then land. When this will go smoothly, make the plane turn 90 degrees - but not more, to avoid loosing orientation. Then start to make turns in both directions during one flight - for example 90 degrees left, then 90 right (at this point the plane will fly away from you again). Keep the altitude steady - don't let the plane climb (easy to forget when you are excited about the first controlled turns). At the end of this excercise, you should be able to fly side to side, making 180 deg. turns (after the initial 90 deg.)
5 - and the final step - flying towards yourself. When practicing 4, make/let the plane climb a little, and also to fly away from just a little bit more than usual. Then, start to make 90 degrees turn in one direction, flying in a "square pattern". Keep the bank angle low. Focus on making the turns close to 90 degrees, always in the same direction (again, change directions every few flights, but keep it the same during one flight), and the flight between turns as straight as possible. And try not to fly overhead.

Those 5 steps should get you to the point where you can decide when/where to fly straight or turn, how much and how long, to get the plane to the place you want it to be. And hopefully without many crashes, or at least many repairs/rebuilds. After that you can start expanding your "envelope" by adding elevator (finally! but slowly) to see how the plane reacts, making the turns steeper, using the power more aggressively etc. Please remember that all of this is just an advice - you don't have to follow it if you don't want to. Good luck, and have fun!
The Old Monk Boweth to Your Wisdom.

TheOldMonk

I have got the old power pack b motor - 2213 935kv motor with a 113g bagtery. Should that be okay for FT Flyer or should I print plans at 125%?

Asking this from a very first time flyer perspective.

I have got the old power pack b motor - 2213 935kv motor with a 113g bagtery. Should that be okay for FT Flyer or should I print plans at 125%?

Asking this from a very first time flyer perspective.
A power pack B might be to much for the original design. You can scale up the plans, just make sure you maintain all the original proportions, and angles.

TheOldMonk

A power pack B might be to much for the original design. You can scale up the plans, just make sure you maintain all the original proportions, and angles.
I thought so - But then got confused as the FT Flyer Page on this Forum mentions Power Back B.

Would 25% increase be okay? Or should I go 50%?

Attachments

• 400455_e3174c82b3626165c612e99dd46dd04a.pdf
    633.1 KB · Views: 0