First fpv flight

Gatormurica

I am about to fly my drone fpv for the first time. I am just going to be n my yard. I am charging my battery. Any tips?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Unlike planes I do NOT suggest 3 mistakes high..

Start off and I mean this seriously.... with someone holding the quad waist level where the FPV camera is parallel to the ground. Get used to that view. Then have them vary the height closer to the ground so you can see what that looks like and get used to it. Do that for a bit to acclimate yourself to what the world looks like thru the lens and so you get an idea what it looks like when you are very low or close to objects. The FPV lens are VERY different from your eyes and the closer to the edge of the lens the more distorted distance becomes.

Once you have an idea how the world looks like that then I suggest simple hops. Literally.. Lift off and bunny hop a few inches and set it down. I also strongly suggest you set the rates up to be extremely docile. These are the rates I fly on my Gremlin and they will surely work for your first flights on a 5 inch. These are VERY gentle at center stick but will still do a respectable flip. Later as you get better you can always up the RC rate for a faster rotation but still keep a nice curve you are used to flying.

I know you fly KISS gear but the rates work the same just different name structure.

Lastly the deeper the grass you fly over when starting the less damage you will do but the more mess you will need to keep on top of so it does not mess with the electronics.

Profile 2.jpg

Last edited:

Gatormurica

I was nervous but I did try to fly without a spotter and that was not a good idea I hit a tree. It snuck up on me. I got a spotter and flew around for a little bit and that was easier. I recommend a using spotter. I had a blast and I was surprised at how my video signal could go through a tree. I do have some noise tho. It's not bad but Id like to get rid of it. I also might get a wider view lens on that camera.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Still you had success!!! Yer hands stop shaking yet? hahaha. That is such a rush the first few times you fly.

Gatormurica

I still have that bent motor too. My hands were not shaking but I was nervous. That has turned into respect for what drones can do and how involved they can be. I wonder If I could fab a little arm on it to pick up trash when I'm a better pilot.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Make a "Stinger" for it and dress it up as the Betaflight Bee just to push a few peoples buttons hehe.