New Guy saying hello and what the heck is with the FAA and their crazy new rules?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If you mean 55 pounds and above has to be registered with the FAA as an experimental aircraft then yes, that's the law.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ahh yes - the other registration.

Yes, anything between 250 grams and 55 lbs needs to be flown by a pilot registered through that FAA website.

The only good thing about this registration is you do it once as a pilot and put the same number on every plane/aircraft you fly. If you are a commercial drone operator under 107 you need to register each aircraft, but not as a hobby flyer.

spacer

Yes, but the aircraft itself isn't registered. It's the pilot.

What most likely happened, as it does so often, is Big Bureaucracy gets wind of some highly publicized fear mongering (Drones gonna kill us ALL!) and sees an opportunity to grow, as all bureaucracies want to do. It doesn't matter that they don't even understand the field they're regulating... that never stopped FAA before.

wolfie621

Hey All,
F2G (2).jpg imagesP-40Q(2).jpg Built my First FT Speed Kit. I'm new to the hobby and built the FT Corsair and building a plane from scratch now while learning how to use Adobe Illustrator to make a kit for the P-40Q and F2G and P-38. The 40Q and F2G in WW2 never made it to production. But I think they are very interesting versions of the P-40 and F4U.