Flite Test Open House / David's Farewell Party

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Flite Test just announced that they're having a farewell party at the Flite Test HQ this Saturday. Short notice yet again. I'd have to look into some details, but I may attempt to go. Who else is going?

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Sure I'll go. Buy me a plane ticket from Seattle WA and I'll be there. Lol, I really do what to visit the guys, you better go and give'em a hug for me.

rcspaceflight

It's a 10 hour drive for me and I work Friday until 11pm. The open house is Saturday 11am - 3pm. I'm not entirely sure that I'm crazy enough to pull that off. Sleep just sounds so much better than driving all night. I've driven longer with less sleep for less, but I think I'm getting too old for that.

alehed

Välkommen hem till Sverige igen David. Hoppas att vi får se dig i flitetest videorna mycket i framtiden även om det är hemifrån.

Vlad

Uber Noob
Shoot, its about a 3 hour drive for me but I have four other things going on all day. :/

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Välkommen hem till Sverige igen David. Hoppas att vi får se dig i flitetest videorna mycket i framtiden även om det är hemifrån.

"Welcome home to Sweden again David. Hope we'll see you in diligence test videos a lot in the future even if it is away from home."

Well I don't think David reads these much, or he never comments. Yes he is still doing a lot for FT in Sweden. They have mentioned many times in the pod casts that he will be working hard even at his home.

alehed

Thanks Kurt for translating my message to David. I herd in a podcast that he read a lot of the posts on the forum even if he don´t write back in all of them.
I guess you use google translate or something so i correct the mistakes in the translation.

Welcome home to Sweden again David. Hope we'll see you in Flitetest videos a lot in the future even if it is from back home.

rcspaceflight

Apparently I am crazy enough to go because I plan on going. I'm not taking any planes or anything, I'm not sure if they'll have flying or not. I'm sure they will, but not much.

I'm half going because it's David's farewell party and I'm half going because it's a great excuse for a road trip. The winter has been rough and I need to get out of the house.

rcspaceflight

Long story short, I didn't go.

I have a rule that if I set out to do something fun, and it's no longer fun, then I stop doing it. I certainly don't believe in giving up because something is "too difficult", it's just when I'm paying money to do something fun and it starts feeling like work... well, I just can't justify spending money to do work.

The only route I could possibly have taken to get the Flite Test's HQ in time was driving through Chicago, Gary IN, and taking Ohio's tollway. I paid $1.90 to enter IL, which I knew about and was fine with. But then I hit a toll booth well before Chicago and paid $3. I asked the toll booth operator when the next toll was and how much, when he said in 15 miles and it was $1.50, ... well paying a bunch of tolls, driving through a bunch of cities, trying to follow set directions, and hoping I don't miss a turn just didn't sound like fun. I'm not really the type to plan "vacations" anyway. That's just not me.

In all honesty, I was more looking forward to the drive home portion of the trip. Just driving back roads and taking my time. So I decided to just skip the long boring drive at the beginning. I think I would have been too exhausted to fully enjoy the open house anyway.

I ended up turning off of the interstate and I had an amazing day of driving back roads all day through Illinois and Iowa. I didn't take a map with me on purpose. Again, that's just not me. So I ended up taking a rather long but very scenic way home. Which was a blessing because I ended up driving over the scariest bridge I've driven in my life and I happened upon President Grants house and a civil war reenactment. Which I only drove past because staying up over 24 hours straight is exhausting.

Moral of the story, if something isn't "fun", then turn it into something fun. That's what I did. Also, nothing ever goes as planned. At least not for me. :p