2017/2018 Balsa Build Along!

I have a comet sbd dauntless, rubber free flight kit from 1981 or so. One wing is partially built. Every time I see the box I say "I need to finish that"!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
so what's the longest amount of time someone has put off a "kit"?

I only got back into the hobby in 2015, but built a whole bunch of free flight balsa and tissue Guillows kits in the 80's. I still have a couple of sheet balsa chuck gliders I built from magazine plans from then too. Nothing else survived the 7 or 8 cross state lines moves I've made since then. So my current procrastination record is just a beautiful Stevens Aeromodel Ricci Triplane I got for Christmas in 2015 - just coming up on 3 years :)

DarkFire

Also, rover, I vote the Artic Tern. I recently saw an old magazine article from when the plans were first released and it looks pretty dang cool on skis and floats. Joker, I vote the Great Planes Zero. Always loved the looks of that plane

DarkFire

I find it great to know that there is always a project waiting for me and that I don’t need to go out and buy a new kit when I finish a build.

I started to have the same problem with foam planes, but then my mom started to notice the oozing of projects onto the kitchen counter :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Joker, I vote the Great Planes Zero. Always loved the looks of that plane

The Zero actually needs very little work, and it's on the bench right now! Tomorrow I should take delivery on the new fuel line I need, along with a fuel pump so I can actually get the glow fuel into the tank. At that point it should be ready to test-fire. The guy I got it from said it was run and tuned a bit, but never flown. From what I can see it wasn't completed enough to have been able to fly so I don't think he was lying. I'd love to finish it up and maybe get another one done before the Build Along actually starts, but that may be pretty optimistic thinking. :)

IMG_5958.JPG

The Arctic Tern. Built to the original RCM plans. It's a little pudgy, and built for glow.
IMG_0281.JPG

I'd probably do my Tritle inspired rendition rather than finish this one. I have one wing framed up for the lite weight version, and with the framed up flap and aileron, minus hinges, servos, etc. it's 1.35 oz. The framed up RCM wing is 3 oz. I am shooting for about 16 oz with the lite weight. I think the RCM would come in around 2.5 lbs. at just over 50" span, that's a huge difference.

The 195
IMG_0265.JPG

For some reason, I can't get any other pictures to attach.... the forum software really doesn't seem to like apple devices.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I am officially entering with the Rockyboy sponsored build of a Mountain Models MercurE Mini! (Ps for Rockyboy: thanks for the covering and electronics and plane) MM MercurE.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I am officially entering with the Rockyboy sponsored build of a Mountain Models MercurE Mini! (Ps for Rockyboy: thanks for the covering and electronics and plane)

You're welcome! It should be a nice companion in the hanger for the FT Pietenpol :cool:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Getting ready to start the Hog build on the first and the accumulation of parts for the electric conversion is comming along well. Also got some progress done on the bathroom remodel so the wife should be cooperative when I start the Hog build.

Just need to tile, do the floor, install toilet, vanity and finish work...arggg...Along with learning how to build airplanes I have been teaching myself how to remodel a bathroom...

IMG_3365.JPG

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Lol seems like a fair trade to me :)

I'm going to be starting my build a little early. Probably tonight. I just got the plans scanned to PDF and so I'm ready to start building. I'll put up a build thread sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Getting ready to start the Hog build on the first and the accumulation of parts for the electric conversion is comming along well. Also got some progress done on the bathroom remodel so the wife should be cooperative when I start the Hog build.

Just need to tile, do the floor, install toilet, vanity and finish work...arggg...Along with learning how to build airplanes I have been teaching myself how to remodel a bathroom...

I used to like it, but now hate remodel work - especially bathrooms. Waterproofing is your friend, 100% silicone caulk, water barriers, etc. Now I just noticed that I've got a small spot of drywall from work I did 8 years ago that needs to be replaced - yay...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Ya, I am a mechanic, not a carpenter, so this is not my area of experitise. All that blue stuff is the water proof membrane paint on material, it is pretty cool and worked great, ready for tile now.