3D Printed / Foamboard Auto-gyros

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
3D Printed / Foamboard Auto-Gyro Stuff

Auto-gyros are awesome. I've wanted to build a full scale one before I ever got into RC. Since that's still kinda out of reach, I figured I might as well build a few out of foam first.

Recently got a 3D printer, so I decided to do something useful with it and start making auto-gyro components. My goal is to make easily printable parts like rotor heads, start assist gearboxes, and blade leading edges that can be swapped into just about any small to medium sized auto-gyro frame. Hopefully I'll have worked up to a Pitcairne in time for FliteFest East 2017.

I want the 3d printed parts to work on just about any FDM printer with a standard .4mm nozzle. I also plan to use readily available filaments than can be printed on most machines. I hope that everything can be printed in PLA, PETG, or ABS.

For parts that aren't 3D printed or made of foamboard, I want them to be cheap and easily available.

I'll be releasing all the STL's and such for use by anybody when the parts are ready for prime time.

****************************************************************************************************

I've tackled what I figure is the most complicated part first, the start assist gearbox. For those of you unfamiliar with how an auto-gyro works, in place of a wing, there's a set of unpowered auto-rotating blades that provide lift. These blades auto rotate as the craft moves through the air. At RC scale, it can be difficult to get that auto-rotation momentum up and going, so a start assist makes takeoffs much simpler.

Basic pusher Auto-gyro for Reference:
Autogyro_MT-03_(D-MTBI)_06.jpg

First step was to draw up all the 3D parts I would need. I started with gears and went through several renditions and tooth counts before I found something that would come out ok in my slicer program. Best I could do without making the physical size of the gears bigger was a 12/36 tooth arrangement. I plan to power the start assist with an F or A pack motor, and so opted for a 9 to 1 reduction. That's (36/12)*(36/12).

Autogyro Start Assist Gearbox.png

F Pack motor with 12 tooth gear installed. An A pack will also bolt into the housing. Gears are all Taulman Tech-G (PETG filament), and the housing parts are all orange Hatchbox PLA.
Gearbox1.png

Next I've installed the 36/12 tooth gear combo. I'm using a bit of 3/16" tig welding rod to hold it in place. I think I'll probably upgrade that to 3mm landing gear wire as it's very common in the RC world.
Gearbox2.png

Then you can see the 36 tooth gear attached to a piece of 3mm landing gear wire with some CA. I modeled in some set screw mounts, but thought I would try and see if roughing up the rod with some sand paper and using glue would be enough to hold it.
Gearbox3.png

Quick video of parts printing and a test runup.

As you can see, it works! It is a bit noisy though, even after adding some silicone grease. I think I'm going to add a couple 623ZZ bearings on the output shaft. That will help out a lot for longevity, and who knows, it might also be quieter. They're also super cheap and available pretty much anyway. I ordered a 10 pack off of amazon a while back for RC projects.

Several other things will be changing. I'm going to be using flexible driveshaft material between the gearbox and the rotor head so that aileron control will be an option, and I need to figure out how to make the blades freewheel. The powered start assist will only be on long enough to get you in the air. As things work right now, when you cut the motor, the blades slow down massively and have drag from the gears to overcome. No bueno if you want your craft to keep flying. :D

After I add bearing mounts to the casing, I'm going to get started on blade leading edges. I think that 3D printable leading edges added to foamboard blades will be easy, cheap, fast, and hopefully strong enough to carry the craft through the air.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Oh dear.... Now I see an autogyro build coming to an addict named LitterBug....

Cheers!
LitterBug

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
GearboxSimplify3D.png

Revised the case to accept 623zz bearings and the sprag clutch is printing as I type. If the clutch works out well I'll resize it and test a version that will be integrated into the case. A 3d printed clutch will be too big to be part of the rotor, but that's no big deal. The driveshaft will simply be a piece of flexible 4mm rc boat driveline.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Ok, so I redrew the trapped roller clutch in sketchup and went though a couple different size variations to try and make things work. Here's what my final test looked like:

TrappedRollerBearingClutch.png

The one above was taller than my first rendition, which I made short hoping to reduce drag and weight.

For both sizes I experimented with "springs" so that it would function like a real one way bearing. You can see here I glued in some pieces of ninjaflex filament that will force the rollers out until they just contact the side wall of the bearing. I also gave bits of rubber band a try, as they're more springy. Neither worked reliably enough for this project. I think the big issue here is that FDM 3D printed parts just aren't consistent enough at this scale, even with a good printer.

Clutch-1.png

Clutch-2.png

The plastic is both too rough, and too slippery at the same time. The amount of force you need to output with the "springs" to make the clutch function leaves way too much drag in freewheel mode to be viable.

At least it looked cool lol.

Clutch-3.png

I think this could be made to function if I doubled or tripled the width, but that becomes too big and awkward to try and mount to an RC plane.

Maybe a version with actual sprags?

sprag clutch.png

The other option would be a solenoid operated engagement assembly like on a car starter, but I don't really want to add the complexity of another electronics component.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Sounds like you had the same results as me. Also ound this one that uses BBs that has a couple variants in the files. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:207389Getting ready to print it off.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Cool, the BB version looks promising. If it works well enough it would be great for people who have a tin of BB's on hand. I think I still have some somewhere....

I stared at lots of pictures of various sprag clutches, and then decided I should try and go full on ratchet. Why not? It might click, but I'm hoping it will be low drag.

Drew this up quickly and have it printing now. Plan to use a small rubberband as a spring, but I think a 3d printed spring could also be an option.

RatchetClutch.png

We'll see how this does. Might try something with more teeth as well.

Would be cool to have a bunch of different options to accomplish the same task. That way anybody can print whichever part fits what they have on hand.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
ratchetclutch2.png

Looks like things will work, just came out a bit small and fiddly. I'm a little concerned that not all printers will handle some of the parts well, and I need mods to attach the rubber band.

Scaled things up by 20% and tweaked some other dimensions a bit. Version 2 is printing now.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Why not go with a standard centrifugal clutch off any nitro powered car or truck? the metal bell would be less susceptible to explosion during prolonged or high rpm spinning AND it would kinda act like a fly wheel to help keep the blades moving and not stall. Not to mention they are already proven to function and last as well as be very light and made for high rpm. They have 2,3 and 4 arm setups with various springs for engagement so you could easily match it to your needs. This will also remove any need for a separate engage / disengage mechanism.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Why not go with a standard centrifugal clutch off any nitro powered car or truck? the metal bell would be less susceptible to explosion during prolonged or high rpm spinning AND it would kinda act like a fly wheel to help keep the blades moving and not stall. Not to mention they are already proven to function and last as well as be very light and made for high rpm. They have 2,3 and 4 arm setups with various springs for engagement so you could easily match it to your needs. This will also remove any need for a separate engage / disengage mechanism.

That could be another option. Got a link to these? How much do they weigh?

I've also discovered that hobbyking carries a ton of small lightweight metal one way bearings for use in helicopters. If a good readily available cheap option is out there I can make mounts to adapt it to the other parts.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Start here and root around. This will give you a good visual. Maybe even make the flywheel and clutch assembly from 3d printing and just use the aluminum bell if ~ 50 grams AUW for the assembly is too much. You could search specific hobby shops as well for various scale sizes

https://www.amazon.com/RCAWD-Springs-Flywheel-Bearings-Traxxas/dp/B01N8QACM0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1489360259&sr=1-4-fkmr1&keywords=1%2F10th+scale+flywheel+and+clutch+bell

So those things just use centrifugal force to push the clutch material against the flywheel? Could possibly make something 3d printed for all of that.

Metal parts are certainly heavier than I would like. The ratchet clutch I'm working on now should weigh less than 15 grams.

How fast is the output on most of these clutches? Wondering if high RPM's are needed or if it doesn't have to be crazy.

RPM output for my 9 to 1 reduction gearbox is like 2600 rpms.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
All depends on the spring weights as to how soon or how delayed they engage which is determined by rpm obviously. For the clutch on my Ofna race motor I use really light springs when I have teh tiny buggy tires on it but when I got with the monster truck tires I use much heavier springs so the motor gets to spool up a bit more before the resistance starts as the clutch engages.

The heavier the pads and the lighter the spring the faster it will engage. But there is a spot where grip of the pads to the bell is not quite enough and can glaze the bell making it hard as anything to grip until sanded out again.

The reason I say to use these vs 3d printing is specifically because of the friction and you may actually be able to weld the plastic you are designing with.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
All depends on the spring weights as to how soon or how delayed they engage which is determined by rpm obviously. For the clutch on my Ofna race motor I use really light springs when I have teh tiny buggy tires on it but when I got with the monster truck tires I use much heavier springs so the motor gets to spool up a bit more before the resistance starts as the clutch engages.

The heavier the pads and the lighter the spring the faster it will engage. But there is a spot where grip of the pads to the bell is not quite enough and can glaze the bell making it hard as anything to grip until sanded out again.

The reason I say to use these vs 3d printing is specifically because of the friction and you may actually be able to weld the plastic you are designing with.

Ah ok, adding weight in there makes a lot more sense. And yeah, if it didn't grab right away you could generate a lot of heat. I'd have to print the contact parts in something like polycarbonate to keep from having issues. I can do that, but a lot of other printers won't so perhaps it's best to find another method.

My ratchet clutch prototype was successful. Hopefully I'll have video of it in action up soon. Super light weight, and solid lock up. Drag is minimal though it does click. I ran it backwards for about a minute with the motor to simulate the rotor moving and couldn't detect any wear. That's a good sign but I'll need real world testing to be sure.

I'm currently printing some leading edge test pieces for the rotor blades. 3 segments are needed per blade and it looks like total weight of 3 is 8 grams. A piece of DTF will be fitted to the 3D part to complete the blade.

rotorblade segments test 1.png

While that stuff is printing I'm working on rotor head parts.

CartCurt

Have you thought about using the Durafly Auto-G2 Complete Auto-Start system from HobbyKing? This would keep you from needing to redesign the wheel. Cost is $17.75 from US warehouse. The site says 135g weight total. This system includes the DC motor, gearbox, flex shaft, DC ESC, plus some hardware.
Could also be used to give you ideas for your own design.

Curtis

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Could use a bit of lube to reduce friction and heat on the ratchet. May quiet down the clicking too, not that it's a bad thing.

Cheers!
LitterBug

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Why is it that every time I think I have my list of aircraft for FF narrowed down someone comes out with an awesome new addition that I want to bring along? Watching carefully!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Have you thought about using the Durafly Auto-G2 Complete Auto-Start system from HobbyKing? This would keep you from needing to redesign the wheel. Cost is $17.75 from US warehouse. The site says 135g weight total. This system includes the DC motor, gearbox, flex shaft, DC ESC, plus some hardware.
Could also be used to give you ideas for your own design.

Curtis

That's cheating lol! Actually, it's a really good deal, I had looked for parts for those in the past and they were always out of stock. Wonder how long they'll have them around.

I still like the 3D printer approach. Much easier to repair or replace stuff. I think an added benefit may be the brushless motor. The autostart should have enough power and durability to operate as an "Oh Crap" switch as well.

Could use a bit of lube to reduce friction and heat on the ratchet. May quiet down the clicking too, not that it's a bad thing.

Should also be able to make an omnidirectional rotor head. Pitch and roll all from the rotor blades would be cool.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Yeah, I'll probably dab in some grease. Think I still have some aeroshell someplace, it's very light weight. I noticed that the silicone grease I added to the gears is really sticky and probably just slowed things down more than anything else.

Did the BB thing print successfully?

Why is it that every time I think I have my list of aircraft for FF narrowed down someone comes out with an awesome new addition that I want to bring along? Watching carefully!

Pitcairn Pylon Race!! lol. Last one to finish a lap wins.