3dlabprint Cessna 152 Build log..

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I baught a 3d printer for a couple of reasons. 1. to print rc parts 2. to print an airplane. 3. Just for fun and useful other stuff. I got a monoprice select v2.1 printed right out of the box took like 10 min to setup. Was worth the extra price from the anet a8..

Been great tinkered a while before trying an airplane. It has not been easy at all. What I found out is nail down your settings its not easiy. Some parts print other than others. I end up getting gaps in layers. I have some what resolved this but still issues. I get some leftover inside the print but its usable.

They say it will take about 40 hours to print not sure about that if you add in tinkering and changing settings its more like 80 hours. LOL.. Well unless you have a prusa i3 and can use the gcode files. Its gonna take some trial and error. Which has actually made me learn my printer more.

You can try their test file with from thingverse. They gave it so you can make sure you can print it prior to buying.

I had some issues ar first finnaly got a usable part i used ca to fill in weak spots lol. IMG_2553.JPG

I finished the wing with minor holes. Im amazed at engineering on it.
IMG_2589.JPG

So far I got 1 wing and allot of the fuse done. I am finding it takes about 1.5 ->2kg of filiment if you add in mistake prints + I did not have a full roll. I am hopeing to get all the fuse and tail done in blue and part of the gear. And then the other 1/2 of the wing in white along with the rest of the gear. I am going to spray part of the fuse white..
IMG_2639.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2639.JPG
    IMG_2639.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Very nice :) I plan on printing and building their Cessna this winter, as well as the Edge for a buddy.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Very nice!!! And you did this on a Monoprice Select? What's your print bed size? I'm wondering if it's the same one as mine, as I didn't think I could print the parts on it with the print bed as small as mine is...

That said, it looks like it's going to be a great build - my dad bought a Prusa i3 MK2S earlier this year and printed the Spitfire, but has yet to get it glued together for flight. I'm wanting to make the P-38, myself...I know it'll require a 6 channel receiver/transmitter if I want the gears and flaps (which, OF COURSE I do...)

We'll see - I gotta buy the plans and the filament for that one first!

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Very nice!!! And you did this on a Monoprice Select? What's your print bed size? I'm wondering if it's the same one as mine, as I didn't think I could print the parts on it with the print bed as small as mine is...

That said, it looks like it's going to be a great build - my dad bought a Prusa i3 MK2S earlier this year and printed the Spitfire, but has yet to get it glued together for flight. I'm wanting to make the P-38, myself...I know it'll require a 6 channel receiver/transmitter if I want the gears and flaps (which, OF COURSE I do...)

We'll see - I gotta buy the plans and the filament for that one first!

I have the monoprice maker select v2. Some one on the furtm said they could not print the strut. I was able to fine just had to tweek the rotation some. It took alot of tinkering i have simplify3d. I tryed in cura forget about it. Maby you can get it to work but i gave up. I will post my settings if you need them What I do is I open the factory file then remove the stl's and add one at a time. I then change the settings. I have had on a few like the flaps and so on had to go in meshmixer and split it out into seperate parts and print one at a time. Makes a cleaner print.. I had to also on some prints that fail change the layer heigh from .25 to .18... My extra retract distance i moved to 50. retraction speed went to 3000. You have to run at a higher tempature than the flimiment is rated LOL. This makes better layer adheasion. However I went to high and melted my tube in the extruder and got a massive clog opps.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13860

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The engineering on these planes is pretty remarkable. I built one of their's and I have to say it's amazing how easy they go together, and how strong they are!

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
The engineering on these planes is pretty remarkable. I built one of their's and I have to say it's amazing how easy they go together, and how strong they are!

Is it about as durable as a balsa plane with landings? I started on those... Im worried about the gear. Was pondering thinking epoxi and coating the gear.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
All the fuse done besides the gear's im basicly out of blue no way to tackle the large pieces. Iv decided to paint the bottom white so mabye i will have enough white filiment if not i plan to buy my next roll white.
IMG_2649.JPG

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Looking good! I really need to finish my MAX0001. Started it last winter and just need to re-print the left wing. I ran out of the clear used on the rest and tried printing with black. Had a bunch of problems with that filament with lots of gaps making it very weak. Simplify3D is definitely worth it in my book too. I have a really crappy proprietary XYZ printer so it was about the only option unless I hack the firmware to Repetier(which I plan on doing once it's out of warranty).

Cheers!
LitterBug

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Ok so I upgraded to a microswiss hotend. Do it now!!! I now can print directly from the gcode files no seperation!!!!! this would of saved me so much time.

dutchmonkey

i splurged and bought a e3d titian aero for my modified monoprice maker select that has made the biggest improvement for me. my mustang i printed out flawlessly with it. good luck on the Cessna.

my mms v2
replaced the thin Y end plates with some laser cut aluminum ones
custom Y-Axis Carriage with handle
adjustable y belt tensioner
z brace
titan aero with pancake stepper (lost 100gr on the extruder can print good quality to 100mms)
had to replace control board with ramps setup ( my bad but it has opened up a lot of customizing ability worth it)
mosefet for heat bed

Last edited:

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Progress on the build.

I have all the parts printed. Well except for one I glued backwards. I have the wing 98% done.

To-DO:
-Glue the rest of the fuse together, and gear structures.
-Paint some of the fuse.
-Install electronics

B1E7731D-7FCA-4A4C-B1A7-893363EFB75A.jpeg

D74F699A-8E35-4F10-A65B-CEE3AF5601CF.jpeg

Last edited: