500% FT Mighty Mini Corsair Build Thread

Liam B

120" Goodyear FG-4 Corsair Build Thread

Hey everyone,

After some snooping and help from lots of you guys, I’ve decided to build a “giant single engine warbird”, as discussed in this thread: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?34277-Well-I-m-Kinda-At-A-Loss-Here&highlight=Warbird

I concluded on an FT3D, but I’m a sucker for warbirds. Plus, the FT3D seems too boring.

I think a Giant Corsair might be a bit of a reach, but at the same time, a hefty challenge that I hope to get done this summer before school starts (I probably won’t).

This won’t be your normal Corsair though. It’s going to have folding wings. Yes, I’m nuts.

Thanks to the help of DamoRC and Hai-Lee, I printed some Mini Corsair plans that I scaled up in Adobe. They’re quite large.

IMG_1445.jpg

Of course, I’m not going directly from these plans. I’ll probably make a symmetric airfoil and cover with foam instead of cardstock.

The final goal is to make this look really scale (loads better than the P-61), and have it fly well. I also want to be able to do a roll:p.

That said, I’m not using C Pack motors. I’ll be using a larger Suppo and some proper servos.

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
What an epic project. Are you thinking plywood or 3D printed hinges for the folding wings. I can't wait to see your locking method.

Liam B

What an epic project. Are you thinking plywood or 3D printed hinges for the folding wings. I can't wait to see your locking method.

Probably a 3D printed hinge. I plan to lock the wings using servos on the bottom of the wing.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I soooo like your choice. Is this one your looking to get done by a dealine or can you take your time on this?

Liam B

I soooo like your choice. Is this one your looking to get done by a dealine or can you take your time on this?

Nope, no deadlines. I want to get it done before FFWest next year, but I think I’ll be done by then.

Liam B

Looking forward to this. Are you planning on retracts, fixed, or hand launched? Maybe scale 3-panel flaps? Tailhook? :D

Definitely some sort of landing gear. I’d love retracts, but can’t afford them, so I’ll probably go with some fixed landing gear. I’ve learned that fixed gear make great shock absorbers!

I don’t think I’ll do flaps because they might interfere with the wing folding mechanisms, but I will definitely add a tail hook. I couldn’t possibly not add one!

Liam B

At this point, I’m in the stages off printing and cutting and taping the FT Corsair plans. There are a lot of pages!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I don’t think I’ll do flaps because they might interfere with the wing folding mechanisms, but I will definitely add a tail hook. I couldn’t possibly not add one!

Are the folding mechanisms to be automated? Or will the "crew" set them manually?

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Definitely some sort of landing gear. I’d love retracts, but can’t afford them, so I’ll probably go with some fixed landing gear. I’ve learned that fixed gear make great shock absorbers!

These units are pretty cheap and reliable, just need some 5mm wire for the strut: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/servole...-for-large-models-51mm-x-43mm-mount-2pcs.html. They aren't twist and turn like the real Corsair, but those kind of retracts get extremely expensive. I have a spare set of rotating retract gear from an FMS 1400mm Corsair that I could send you, but that is a much smaller airplane.. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be awesome!

Liam B

Are the folding mechanisms to be automated? Or will the "crew" set them manually?

Automated:) I plan to have a line out of the wing and pull them up with a servo and push rod, or rather “pull” rod ;).

I’ll also delay them so they take look scale as they go up!

Liam B

These units are pretty cheap and reliable, just need some 5mm wire for the strut: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/servole...-for-large-models-51mm-x-43mm-mount-2pcs.html. They aren't twist and turn like the real Corsair, but those kind of retracts get extremely expensive. I have a spare set of rotating retract gear from an FMS 1400mm Corsair that I could send you, but that is a much smaller airplane.. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be awesome!

Thanks! I’ll keep both in mind. I still have a long way to go though before I get to that stage.

At the same time, though, I don’t want them to be an afterthought like the landing gear on the P-61.