My first plane, ft simple cub

bogdanalex

Hello everybody!
I've finally built my first plane from scratch and given the fact that I've got no experience at all in RC, something is not right.This thing doesn't fly ... either it's too heavy or I didn't supply it with enough power, so I thought maybe you could help me figure out the problem.

My plane weight WITHOUT POWERPOD is 395grams ( i've seen somewhere that the weight should be 408g without battery...it's really without battery or without powerpod? ) ....that could throw me 163grams off which is enormous.
my Cub total weigth is 685g with battery and ready to fly....or crash more likely.

I try to use RC TIMER HT2212-1000kv with 07x05 prop and a 2200mah battery with only 8C .
can this prop be too small? It has a good pitch though...
could the motor pull more than 8c and not give enough power?

If anyone successfully built the Cub maybe you could help me with some info....what's your plane weight and what power setup did you used.

bogdanalex

thank you daxian!
Mine is 570g without battery...so the weight is out of the question.
At 1000KV I think my prop is too small...I should get a minimum 9inch prop to reach the necessary thrust.
I also need to conduct some tests to see if the motor pulls more amps than the 2200mA 8C battery can supply...but I rather doubt about that. 8C means 17.6A

The good thing is that I took the weight out of the equation.

daxian

Elite member
hi ...
i just ordered a 2212 1000kv for the simple scout ...yes the bigger prop will do the job !
i have some 10x 4.5 to try with mine on the scout .

kdobson83

That 2212 1000kv motor should push out over 900 grams of thrust with a 1045 prop and a decent 3s battery. I would put a 1045 on it and go with a lighter higher c-rated battery, like a 1200mah 3s 20+ C rating. A 2200 3s will work fine but that 8c seems a tad low. So, even if you have a huge battery and your AUW is 800-900 grams, which is a tad heavy for the Cub, and your pushing over 900 grams with your motor, it should fly very easily. VERY steep climb rates.

And you are correct about 8c being able to fly the plane, but i bet the voltage sags really badly under load. Nerd Nic had some interesting videos on the C rating subject on youtube. Heres the link to one of his C-rating test videos.

https://youtu.be/I4hqi7CRdUc

I have that 2212 1000kv motor on my Bloody Wonder with a 1045 on a 1200 3s 20c battery and it has unlimited vertical. My opinion, your prop is the main issue, battery is your second.

Oh, and be careful on launch when you put the bigger prop on it. It will have more torque roll with the bigger props.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i tried to run a 10 in prop on my cubby and it was too much. made the plane torque hard left on throttle, switched to a 8x4.5 and it flies perfect now. using a c-pack 2215GT and a 30A ESC.

kdobson83

That c pack 2215gt is a bit bigger than the popular 2212s. About 400 grams more thrust than the 2212 on the same prop. But yeah, I had Flitetest's old B pack on a 8045 on my Cub and it flew awesome. Loads of power. I was just pointing out that using the motor he has, the 2212, the 1045 prop was his best bet to maximise his power since he was complaining about power issues.