A little fun in the snow

RandomChaos

I had been planning for months now to build a "Snow Boat". Finally got around to doing it since we have a decent amount of snow on the ground that has started to melt then refrozen on top. I am using the power pod from my nutball.

Blue Wonder motor
8 inch prop
20 amp esc
1000mah 3s battery
single servo for rudder

Talk about having some fun! It works pretty good on the hardwood floor in my house too. The base is wrapped in packing tape.

image.jpg
image 1.jpg

It doesnt do too great when the snow is rough, or there is a breeze. Its so light, with the weight up high, and a large side profile, it gets knocked over easily with a slight sidewind, or when hitting large bumps. Smooth surfaces though it does great! If I had to do it again, I would use 2 sheets of foam board for the base, doubling its width to help make it more stable, as well as try to place the battery down low, and maybe a little extra weight down low. As it is, 1/4 throttle has it flying along the snow.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I've seen a few air boats popping up on the internet this winter.

Nicely done. Maybe cut some holes in the middle to let the air through and like you said, move that battery weight down as low as possible... Even widen the stance.

I'd love to see a snow boat with this sort of layout:

Peters-and-May-unlimited.jpg