Addicted to Warbirds

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Is she a war bird?

IMG_2229.jpg

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Counts as one to me, and looking very nice! Always loved the staggerwing. Such nice lines, and retracts on a biplane just look extra cool.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Did a bit more messing around with air to air video this weekend with my friend. I think we are finally starting to get the coordination done a bit better. Did 3 flights, with my Durafly Skyraider, Freewing F-86, and FMS P-51, and of course the only landing captured was the worst one:p Let me know what you guys think, any feedback is appreciated!

Konrad

Posting Elsewhere
Love the lighting from the low sun! Looks like the fixed wing aircraft are flying rather close to the stall. Doesn't make for a powerful presentation. Can the camera platform move faster? This is just me but I don't like music in videos.

All the best,
Konrad

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Love the lighting from the low sun! Looks like the fixed wing aircraft are flying rather close to the stall. Doesn't make for a powerful presentation. Can the camera platform move faster? This is just me but I don't like music in videos.

All the best,
Konrad
Thanks, and yes they are close to stall. I had to be quite careful in the turns. We are working on going a bit faster, but the quad starts to have difficulty keeping up. As coordination is improved we might be able to speed up a bit, or at least enough where I can put up the flaps and try capturing some maneuvers. As for music.. there are two choices. The camera does not record audio, so it could be totally silent. Or I could put a mic on the quad and get quad buzz noises for the entire video. Personally, I prefer the music over either of those alternatives.

n0mats

Just got my FMS Zero 1.4m two weeks ago and maiden it yesterday:) very nice plane but have problem on landing always tip the nose lucky didn't damage the props. over all very nice bird and powerful.

image2.JPG

Last edited:

n0mats

Maiden of the E-flite spitfire 1.2m, came from my lost friend of mine:(, hope he can see his bird flying again. image1.JPG

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Sorry for your loss n0mats, I'm sure he would enjoy seeing it still flying. Congratulations on the maiden flights of the Zero and Spitfire though! For the Zero, you might want to consider a higher travel on the elevator, and land with bit of back pressure on the stick, and taxi with full up elevator. Might help to avoid the dreaded nose over a bit.

Konrad

Posting Elsewhere
On the Zero I had to add some shims (two 0.7mm washers) to the rear of the main retract mounts. This does not effect the placement of the wheel in the wheel well much, if any. But does move the landing gear axel forward (in the down position) to aid in getting some weight on the tail wheel. I did have to make a bit of clearance in the upper part of the wing for the retract body as a result of the retract's rotation (placement). If the model flies well I would not increase the elevator throw. I think the issue is in the landing gear geometry not in the aerodynamic forces.

All the best,
Konrad

P.S.
Much to my surprise I actually found some technically valid advice (customer service) from MotionRC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOhGlmcjckg

Last edited:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Awesome! That looks like a nice airfield that you were flying at.

Thanks! And yes, the field is excellent. Was definitely lucky that this one is in my area, otherwise I couldn't fly most of my EDFs. If anyone is in the area, I'd be happy to let them in to go flying there!

Last edited:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Took the Warbirds out for a Memorial Day rememberence flight at the field yesterday. Brought out my Little Bird, FMS P-51, 70mm F-104, Durafly A-1 Skyraider, and Freewing F-86. A friend got a few photos of some of them in the air that I thought I'd share:
IMG_0921.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Ooh, gotta love that P-51B/C model. Looks so much slicker-er with the fastback.
Totally agree. Even added in a sound system, so I could get the full startup/shutdown sequences. The best part is how well it flies though. This was my first Warbird with retracts and it's survived for over 3 years now, and still flies amazing. Any of my less forgiving models have been less fortunate.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Thanks for the info! Sound exactly like what I was hoping for. My plan is to fly it this summer then rebuild it with all the extras just like you did. I have already ordered the park flyers plastics razorback conversion and a robart mini retractable tail wheel. I'm interested in doing a inner gear door mod that I've seen on you tube. Do you have any pics of yours with the modifications done?
A view photos of the tail retract as you requested:
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG