Adding Corrective Lenses to the Eachine 800-series Goggles

Gryf

Hi, all.

I really like my Eachine visor, but being of the bifocal set, I just can't focus on the display without some sort of correction. For a while I rigged a pair of strong reading glasses in the housing. I've seen this done before, and it works okay, but it still wasn't clear enough for me.

I finally had the idea of cannibalizing the head magnifiers I use for close-up work. They look pretty much like this:

magnifier.jpg

In addition to the main lens set, there's a second one inside the visor that flips down to provide additional bigness. Then there's also the loupe on the front, but I didn't use that.

It was fairly easy to remove both lens pairs and combine them into a single unit, then mount them inside the Eachine visor. I used heavy-duty 3M foam tape, but may go with epoxy or hot glue if I want to make the mod permanent. I'm just experimenting for now. Here's what the Eachine unit looks like after the mod:

20180212_162117.jpg

Since the upper half of the Eachine case is curved inside, I carved a balsa filler that fits between the case and the lenses. You can see it in the picture. I might color it black, but it doesn't appear to be visible when wearing the goggles. The image itself is now nice and sharp, much improved over the previous setup with reading glasses. Shoot, I'd fly my Tiny Whoop right now, but I ran the goggles' battery down earlier this afternoon buzzing around the house. :-(

Hope this helps,

Gryf

Last edited:

Gryf

Just a quick addendum... I just got finished moving the lens unit down about about 3mm, and then added a little strip of soft foam to the bottom edge where it rests on my nose. Cross fingers, I think I'm finished... it's made an amazing difference in image clarity. Our eyes are all different, but this fix worked for me, and may help some of you as well.

Gryf

Bricks

Master member
I have to use box style goggles as my Myopathy is really bad and still have to use readers inside them for clear vision. May fool around with your idea and see how it works out for me.

RMDC

For those who want to use non-box goggles but, like me, are too nearsighted for even the strongest stock FatShark diopters, there's a company who will make prescription diopters for about $60 a pair: https://customfpx.com/