Ah- a place to tallk about combat!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Here's some video of one of the old target planes in action.
Sadly the plane has been retired. It was no match for the automatic garage door :)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
That was part of the beauty of the target plane. It was basically a trainer and ruggedized so no fear handing the sticks to low hours flyers. If they crash it- no big deal. If they crash into somebody else BONUS!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Awesome combat this weekend.
Great crowd showed up. Lots of newbies, two brand new flying clubs showed up from a couple of local colleges.
Lots of trainers in the air. I flew for a good while doing bomb drops from the Supercub of Love. Always a kid favorite.
Flew some great combat with my smaller plane. Didn't get any hits but got REALLY close a bunch of times.

RC Dad

The first and only Fly-in my son and I attended had a couple of great combat sessions. It got real exciting when someone decided to bring their Heli into the mix. Let's just say the blue foamies don't stay together long when they get up close and personal with a Heli...course the Heli didn't make it either...and a whole lot more expensive...sure was fun for us noobies watching it. It's what got us into starting this new hobby. Now we just have to learn to fly and build us a plane or two...

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Awesome! I'm an RC Dad too. We saw an unidentified flying object in the skies a mile or so west of our house. We eventually tracked it down and made a new friend. It was a slow stick with LEDs. He introduced us to the UFO (Utah Flyers Organization) and the first time we saw combat we were hooked. EPP combat wings are great confidence builders even if you don't have anyone to fly combat with. They can take a lot of abuse.
There are lots of good trainer options to get started with. Most of my planes are from crashtesthobby.com All EPP :)
Me and my sons (and even a daughter now and then) have a blast. Go for it

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Perfect dat to retire a Reaper

The trusty Grim Reaper went the way of all foam today.
Well kind of anyway...
Started out looking really great over a year ago.
And then after a couple of hundred hits and two UnCivil War combat swarms it was showing it's age but still looked great in the air!
It took it's last combat hit today.
Farewell Grim Reaper. RIP

Attachments

• prettyreaper.jpg
    prettyreaper.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 27
  • rays.jpg
    rays.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 28
  • flames.jpg
    flames.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 31
  • burnt.jpg
    burnt.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 27

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Condolenses.
You seem to have lost some old friends, battery, receiver and servos. Did it happen in the air?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Thanks Gerts. Truly. This plane was my first plane after the Slow Stick. My followup trainer. Flying wing trainer and my go to combat plane for over a year. Survived many combat hits and horrible crashes.

Rest In Peace Grim Reaper

I had taken a pretty solid combat hit but remained flying, about a lap or two later lost power in the air but made a controlled and gentle landing. Walking toward the plane I saw a puff of white smoke. By the time I got to it the flames started :)
I think I took a propeller strike to the ESC. It's so badly burnt that we'll never know for sure

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
GoPro air to air combat video

Most of the guys knew I had a camera on the plane so they weren't really going after me.
The plane that I almost hit was also carrying a GoPro :) Would have been epic.