Any new Foamboard products in Europe/Germany?

ItsMeGermanGuy

Hello,

I've already used the search function and there are no recent threads about foamboard in Germany.
I've build my Mighty Arrow with this foamboard. It weights almost 2 times as much as the original. I've been looking for alternatives, but most foamboard is just to heavy compared to DTFB.

Will Flite Test distribute their products (including FT-Foamboard) in Europe? Or are there any new foamboard products out there?

dgrigor02

I'm starting to really like the 3mm hobby king stuff if your planning to build any mighty-mini or smaller planes. Makes real nice wings and tails. Don't like to use it for fuselages as it's a bit too flimsy so you will need to 5mm as well. I cover 1 side with vinyl sign covering ( 2.75mil stuff ) then cut out the parts so you can still use for A/B folds etc.

ItsMeGermanGuy

use selitherm from hornbach. I have successfully build half of all flitetest planes with it.
http://www.hornbach.de/shop/Innenwa...h=1&origin=pla_multichannel&WT.mc_id=de12a999

its often hidden and hard to find in that market. you better ask one of the sales guys there.
to use it similar as flitetest do you have to put packaging tape on one side.
I would say its much stronger than dollartree foam.

How much does it weight? Is it heavier than DFTB (~300g/m²)

HawkMan

if you're going to use non papered foam, just buy cheap 3 or 6mm depron from any depron supplier or plumber supplier. it's quite a commmon hobby material in europe.

rcwingman

being Ghetto since 2016
sorry, cant say it. Every plane gets in the air with this. Very very rubbust material and mostly no damage after crashes.

finnen

That looks like it might be some kind of xps foam, just like depron and the HK foam, only slightly thicker (7mm if I'm not mistaken). I would go with the HK stuff just because of the price. Depron is a lot more expensive, and even the hornbach foam is about double the price, shipping included.

finnen

I meant expensive compared to the dollar store stuff.In Sweden I was paying about 5 euros for a sheet. I have bought from epp-versand, and that is more reasonable, but HK is still a quarter of that price, about 0.5 euro for a sheet, compared to a little over 2 euros per sheet for epp-versand.

I'm just glad that we finally have a _really_ cheap way to build planes in Europe, instead of just pretty cheap :D The yanks have been showing off with their 1$ airframes, and now we can finally match it :p

rcwingman

being Ghetto since 2016
covering makes it more robust but heavier too.

Well the price for seliterm is a higher. yeah.
but its always available if you need it because there are hornbachs everywhere here in germany.
I can make a lot of planes with one pack.

But maybe I should give the hk foam board a try to know the difference:confused:.

Last edited:

finnen

I say give it a try =) you can build a lot of planes with 20 sheets =)

I just make sure to always have some on hand in case I want to build something (which usually happens right after I have finished something :D )

ItsMeGermanGuy

I say give it a try =) you can build a lot of planes with 20 sheets =)

I just make sure to always have some on hand in case I want to build something (which usually happens right after I have finished something :D )

I'm having doubts because the flite test plans require paper on both sides. Which allows you to make A- and B-folds and your control surfaces. Would you just use tape instead of the paper, to do this? :)

rcwingman

being Ghetto since 2016
tape is better then paper in therms of stability.
But paper coating is lighter.
Both, paper and tape will work for flitetest plane designs.
After some dozen crashes I claim that my tape coated Seliterm FT-Flyer is indestructible.:p
Just reinforce the powerpod with some extra 0.5-1mm carbon fiber plates on the front.
You can snipe cf-plates on e-bay auctions for some dollars very cheep.

But to be honest:
I don't know the difference to dollartree or HK foam yet.

Last edited:

HawkMan

I'm having doubts because the flite test plans require paper on both sides. Which allows you to make A- and B-folds and your control surfaces. Would you just use tape instead of the paper, to do this? :)

Well, that's only half true. I'm not sure about the HK foam and the model plane foam(which is mostly identical to FTF/DTFB except without paper) as it might be to soft without the paper. But with Depron and similar it's hard enough on it's own. and you can do all the A and B folds without the paper, just without the folding, you just flue them together like an A or B fold. The plans need to be modified for 3 or 6 mm though.

as a benefit, you don't have to worry about weatherproofing, and it can be painted directly as long as it's not a paint that eats the depron/foam. And well if you don't want it hot pink or blue, you probably want to paint it :p

finnen

I have used both depron and the HK foam, it's pretty much identical.

I also have bought a couple of kits from FT, and I have to say that the paper covered foamboard is significantly stiffer than depron. It doesn't matter as much when you make folded wings, like the bloody wonder, but single sheet parts might need some reinforcement.