Any Tips for Handling Angry Bystanders?

ThatPolishHotdog

So for the first time in my two years of flying, I was finally confronted about the hobby in a negative way.

A little context first.

I was flying my Bronco today at a local park. Where I live, it was a city owned park, and thus the only regulations for drones was the FAA's Part 107. I also checked on AirMap and B4YouFly, and it's class G airspace, so totally legal as my plane is registered. About halfway through the excursion two men with their children show up, and start practicing sports about 40 feet to my right. Fast forward 20 min, and I hear them talking about how "it's illegal to fly here". After landing my plane, I ask them if they know the actual laws, and explain to them the regulations, which they confirm after a quick google search. The one catch here was they accused me of flying over their heads. I can say with total confidence, I did not fly directly over them. I'll admit I flew close the them, but never in a way that put them at risk of injury. The confrontation ended when I put a new battery in, and the next 15 min were spent flying far away at higher altitudes.

After review of the situation, I understand what I did was incorrect and while technically not violating Part 107, put a stain on the hobby for these people. My question is do any of you have any experience with these kinds of situations? If so, are there any de-escalation tips you have? The last thing I want is for a situation to escalate to violence or legal action. I don't want my right of flying there to be taken away, but I'm not in the mood for trouble again.

Below is a satellite view of the park. Blue is where I was, Red is the 2 men and their children, and green are the general flight paths I took.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 9.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So for the first time in my two years of flying, I was finally confronted about the hobby in a negative way.

A little context first.

I was flying my Bronco today at a local park. Where I live, it was a city owned park, and thus the only regulations for drones was the FAA's Part 107. I also checked on AirMap and B4YouFly, and it's class G airspace, so totally legal as my plane is registered. About halfway through the excursion two men with their children show up, and start practicing sports about 40 feet to my right. Fast forward 20 min, and I hear them talking about how "it's illegal to fly here". After landing my plane, I ask them if they know the actual laws, and explain to them the regulations, which they confirm after a quick google search. The one catch here was they accused me of flying over their heads. I can say with total confidence, I did not fly directly over them. I'll admit I flew close the them, but never in a way that put them at risk of injury. The confrontation ended when I put a new battery in, and the next 15 min were spent flying far away at higher altitudes.

After review of the situation, I understand what I did was incorrect and while technically not violating Part 107, put a stain on the hobby for these people. My question is do any of you have any experience with these kinds of situations? If so, are there any de-escalation tips you have? The last thing I want is for a situation to escalate to violence or legal action. I don't want my right of flying there to be taken away, but I'm not in the mood for trouble again.

Below is a satellite view of the park. Blue is where I was, Red is the 2 men and their children, and green are the general flight paths I took.

I educate people about the real ruling for flight. If they further persist and want to take over the area I am flying in I merely ask them... Do you walk out onto the field in the middle of a football game because you want to use a public area? No you respect they were there first and stay to watch or go do something else. Its a public park and unless regulated or governed by legal no drone laws you were there first. Then if the still persist I ask do you walk out in traffic and stand in the middle of the road "Because its a public area and you have rights" No you dont because its not safe. YOU came to an area where I was already flying YOU put yourself in harms way not me. Will I do my best to not harm you by mitigating risks and try to stay away yes. Will I leave just because you came.. NO.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I would say that in your case you were fully in the right technically, a safe place to fly as an activity in a park where many activities happen. Someone could trip and fall trying to catch a frisbee and bang their head on a tree trunk or a rock, does that make frisbee dangerous. No. You fly a registered craft which is legal in the space you were in. Case closed. Makes perfect sense to me.

That being said the situation could have handled better yes, if the park was empty when you arrived and they showed up after there could have been an opportunity to land and introduce your situation. Then come to a mutual agreement that is beneficial to both parties. Sure that could have worked a little better. Mind you it kinda takes the point out of flying if you have to land every time someone steps on the field. So I agree with @PsyBorg in the fact that the first come first serve rule which has applied to any park as long as parks have been parks. Its an unwritten mutual common respect for your fellow citizens.

Now this all takes out the human nature factor "Nobody is happy unless they are complaining about something". Just by the fact that they started calling you out vocally, and only after you explained the rules to them and they had to confirm by googling it, speaks volumes to how uninformed they are. So their idea of what was going on when this situation got a little escalated was misinformed through all kinds of media like we have seen over the past year, fear mongering people against RC flight is all they had to go on. So I think you did the hobby a great service by educating these people to what the rules are and how well you are informed of it and fit within the given, yet ridiculous, guidelines. People do not like to be proven wrong so guarantee they will not bring it up again to anyone else who may enjoy the park for flying. For that you get a slow clap.

Now looking at you map and the path you took it does look like you did fly around them, timing might be a factor depending on when you were flying in that area. But i am sure if i was not a common RC fanatic like i am i would feel nervous being surrounded by a craft i am not familiar with. So if this is the case then i could understand the trepidation to let you fly.

What it really comes down to is the same principle as "defensive driving", more of a situation avoidance as opposed to being right and dead on the sticks, if you catch what i am throwing. Good Luck on the next outing man. Cheers

ThatPolishHotdog

@PsyBorg Very true. I think a lot of people feel entitled? I guess simply because we are just playing with our "toy planes". It was difficult to gauge the situation on low passes, abort landings, and landings because they were so close to me. Thanks for the advice.

@BATTLEAXE Yeah I think a lot of issues arise from the simple lack of knowledge of regulations and local laws. I can also concur to why they were afraid and on edge as "close" and "directly over" to the normal person is the same in these situations. And your comparison to defensive driving, I had never though about it like that, but is really true and something I'll practice in future flights. Cheers to you too!

dahacker

This is one huge reason we love any of the A-pack planes. They are so quiet and after one session of letting the bystander hold the extremely light plane, no one cares. We typically encounter the Dad with their five year old NFL or MLB bound kid who doesnt even like the sport, who would rather watch us.

ThatPolishHotdog

This is one huge reason we love any of the A-pack planes. They are so quiet and after one session of letting the bystander hold the extremely light plane, no one cares. We typically encounter the Dad with their five year old NFL or MLB bound kid who doesnt even like the sport, who would rather watch us.
Nice that you've found a solution to it. I'm not as much of a fan of the minis, but definitely something I will look into.

danskis

Master member
Sorry, this probably won't help you. The park we fly at has a city sign stating that the field is set aside for RC flying up to 3pm. When the whole pandemic thing started their were so many people out and about that we'd have folks walk out into the middle of the park and just sit down or start playing with their kids under the main flight path. I'd have to go out and ask them if they could move closer to the edge of the park where its safer because sometimes we crash. Most would move some wouldn't.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Sorry, this probably won't help you. The park we fly at has a city sign stating that the field is set aside for RC flying up to 3pm. When the whole pandemic thing started their were so many people out and about that we'd have folks walk out into the middle of the park and just sit down or start playing with their kids under the main flight path. I'd have to go out and ask them if they could move closer to the edge of the park where its safer because sometimes we crash. Most would move some wouldn't.
The best part about that is you gave them the benefit of the doubt and the courtesy of the heads up. This puts the ball in their court to make a choice. If they get hit its their problem now. Kinda comes back to that sense of entitlement that was mentioned before... humans are funny.

ThatPolishHotdog

Wow that kind of entitlement expressed is pretty extreme. Hopefully that doesn't happen often!

Tench745

Master member
I should start by saying that I have never had anyone confront me about my flying.
If I did, how would I deal with it? Short answer: I would be polite, understanding, and if I couldn't find a solution or compromise I would just leave.
Typically I will fly either at a local park or at the local middle school's sports fields. There are three places in the park to fly, either over the sports fields near the playground; from the large hill beside the fishing pond, or the opposite side of the hill abutting the road. If anyone is on the sports fields or playing on the playground I fly on the hill somewhere or go to the school (when available). If there are people playing disc-golf I wait for them to finish their hole before launching. Sometimes someone will walk their dog or something across one of the fields while I'm flying. If I have a lot of time left on the battery I'll stay high and far away from the people and/or dog. If I'm getting near the end of a pack I'll try to put the plane down before they get close or let their dog loose. I've seen more than one dog chase down and try to maul a plane. I don't want that to be mine, or for my plane to somehow hurt their dog.
Almost every time people came to use the space, they have seen me flying, noticed that I stopped, and been courteous about moving off after a while so I can fly again. I usually only have two or three packs to fly through anyway, so I try not to take over the area for hours and I don't mind taking turns.

In your situation, if I were trying to de-escalate I would try not to get defensive, then listen to their point of view, politely educate them, and try to reach some kind of agreement. If they say you were flying over them and you know you weren't, don't argue the point, just apologize and ask if there is a way you can make them more comfortable about it. Maybe offer them a lesson or offer to show them what you're doing?
Just my 2 cents.