Anyone else ou there from Seattle?

defhermit

I moved back to Seattle about 6 months ago and am always looking for more places to fly. Currently my go-to location is 60 Acres Park in Redmond. I'd love to hear about any other good places. Also, looking for people racing miniquads, as I'm trying to get into that now.

billms@gmail.com

def - i was going to try 60 acres once school starts and the soccer kids disappear - do you fly with the soaring people or powered?

i've been following RC on and off for a *long* time but now have equipment and want to fly - with summer ending Moorpark doesn't seem practical since i'm not very experienced and their tuesday flight school is shutting down for the year

photohap

I live in the Auburn area, I fly at an old not used anymore golf course in Sumner called Sumner meadows.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
What? You can fly at Sumner meadows? I live in Renton and am looking to practice at a non official field somewhere for now until I build my skills enough to fly at the Flaming Geyser park field. So far I have been flying at the local football field (probably illegal) and a park with power lines above it (scary power lines) which cause me to fly low and has resulted in a bad crash recently...

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
What? You can fly at Sumner meadows? I live in Renton and am looking to practice at a non official field somewhere for now until I build my skills enough to fly at the Flaming Geyser park field. So far I have been flying at the local football field (probably illegal) and a park with power lines above it (scary power lines) which cause me to fly low and has resulted in a bad crash recently...

Why are you avoiding the Flaming Geyser park? I personally don't like flying there because there are more spectators and it's more crowded. I tend to like flying alone or with only one or two more people.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I feel the same way, I like to just fly alone for now until I get my skills built up. Plus I don't have an AMA or a solo sticker to fly there, so I would have to jump through all the hoops and find someone to endorse me to solo there and so on and son on. I don't feel like making any friends right now, just want to fly real fast and go home...

Sumner Meadows looks promising! Wide open with paved closed off parking lot to land in, plus grass to land in. looks like it would be fun for FPV also. Just wondering if they like people flying there....

I am here now and got a pic of it. Nice closed golf course.

IMG_1278.JPG

TexMechsRobot

I feel the same way, I like to just fly alone for now until I get my skills built up. Plus I don't have an AMA or a solo sticker to fly there, so I would have to jump through all the hoops and find someone to endorse me to solo there and so on and son on. I don't feel like making any friends right now, just want to fly real fast and go home...

Sumner Meadows looks promising! Wide open with paved closed off parking lot to land in, plus grass to land in. looks like it would be fun for FPV also. Just wondering if they like people flying there....

I am here now and got a pic of it. Nice closed golf course.

View attachment 75917

That does look good! I like the club I've joined but they do required AMA and club membership (amounts to about $100 a year) but I think it's worth it. Decent field on private property and I've never been there with more than 4 other pilots. Usually, there's only me and maybe one other person.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Ya, I found a few private clubs: Seattle Rams, Lake Sawyer Hawks and someone mentioned Marymore park? Maybe I will join one in the future, but for now I am going to try to fly for free...I am such a freeloader...

TexMechsRobot

Lol. Marymore is run by a club and requires club and AMA membership but I don't like to fly there for the same reason as Flaming Geyser. I joined the Lake Sawyer Hawks due to the private field and low membership cost ($30 a year). I know nothing about the Seattle Rams.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Seattle Rams has a field in the Sumner area not far from the golf course, but they want $200 per year! Yikes... Not sure why so much, but it looks like they do scale sanctioned race events among other things. The Hawks flying area is not far from my house in Fairwood and I may join them eventually. Seems pretty reasonable fee wise.

TexMechsRobot

Well, if you'd like to check out the field and get some flying in, I can meet you there one day. Weather permitting :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks! When I start to get serious about joining, I will look you up. According to the rules it looks like I need a good person like yourself to get me checked out. Thanks a lot.

TexMechsRobot

Sure! You are also welcome to join me for a few hours of flying before you get serious about joining. I'm pretty new at this hobby so you can't embarrass yourself in front of me!

PM me when you think you might be ready and we'll schedule a day :)

kwixom

If you've got room for more, I only just moved into Auburn and am just starting out on the hobby and would love to do a meet and greet at some point.

TexMechsRobot

If you've got room for more, I only just moved into Auburn and am just starting out on the hobby and would love to do a meet and greet at some point.

Sure thing! My schedule is always crazy and I only get a chance to fly some Saturday's and Sundays (about once a month if I'm lucky) but if you'll be patient with me and my schedule, we'll make it happen.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
My schedule is busy too, possible a Saturday in the month oe so. Darn work tends to take up all my fun time!