Anyone in MD/PA looking to fly?

yurp

Hey guys
My name is Mike. Anyone in the MD area who flys? I'm really into flying multi rotors. Line of sight or FPV. I dabble in building the FT airplane kits and attempting to fly them. Modifying or frankensteining a build together is something I'm always working on.

Wanted to see if there are other pilots in the area who would want to meet up for flying and/or fix/build. Message me if your interested. I don't care if you fly planes, quads, or looking to get into it, just looking for people who share the same interest.

N4RF

I'm in Baltimore County, about 1/2 way up 795 and not too far from I-83. Lots of clubs in the area. Welcome

yurp

Woah awesome turn out. I'm in Randallstown MD.

What do you guys fly? Currently I have two 250 size quads; one fpv mainly, one light of sight. two 500 size quads one a v tail (tilted motors), one dragonfly configuration with a 3 axis gimbal, FT flyer (trying to learn/tune) and FT nutball (trying to learn/tune). Those are the working ones lol, prob about 4 other project builds going and as you can see dabble in a little of all types of flying (no helis ...yet) I mainly fly by myself up the street at a school field. Once and a while I will drive about to find a quick fly spot.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Mostly scale fixed wing. I prefer to scratch build most of my fleet over the ARF stuff these days.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Mostly fixed wing here. Gotten back into FPV while flying my Sweepwings Juggernaut. Looking to build a racing wing here soon.

N4RF

Cool. For Flite Test models I have a FT P51 Mustang, a FT Simple Storch, and a FT Simple Soarer. I also have an Apprentice that needs work (lawn darted it one too many times) and a 3-channel Pipe Cub. No Quads or Helis.

I fly out of a club that has a field out at the Springfield Hospital Center in Sykesville although there's a closer one to me (and very close to you) off of Marriottsville Rd and Hernwood Rd.

yurp

Well if any of you guys want to let me know when you plan to go flying on the weekends, I'd more than happy making a day trip to fly. I also fly after work weekdays if your closer by. PM me with your email, lets meet up to fly.

I'm real good at flying quads/tris. Multiple setups with a camera so good to try and get some great follow shots of people. Not so good at the FT planes I build, 50% of the time its a lawn dart other 50% of the time reckless flying some what controllable lol.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Eh stick with the ft flyer, forget the nutball. little movements on the controls and you should be good to go.

yurp

I noticed that between the two. The FT Flyer i am able to get it up and flying. playing with the expo since my moments are always so sharp soon resulting in crashing.

The FT nutball hasn't really stayed in the air too long, but to be honest it was a 5min builld and really only built it to have an extra power pod.

i was going to play with adding a cc3d i have laying around to help stabilize the flight more, but wasn't too sure of the configuration and setup for it yet.

earthsciteach

I love the FT Flyer because I can hand it to someone who has never flown before. I describe it as driving an rc car in the sky. I do NOT like the nutball. If flies like its name. Just not my thing.

yurp

any recommendations for expo on the FT flyer? first time out i didnt put any expo and notices all my moves were very sharp. on the way home i realized i should add expo to soften my stick movements. going to play with it next time, but anyone have a recommendation i should start with or what they are working with.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
What radio are you using? If you can set up a three position switch with a low/mid/high rate programing. so go with 50/50 then 70/30 and 100/100 for your dual rate settings.

yurp

I have a FlySky FS-6T so unfortaunetely only 2 way switches (really only downside i have found on this budget friendly radio). I also do not thiink their is a way to program just two different rate settings (could be wrong though).

earthsciteach

I love the FT Flyer because I can hand it to someone who has never flown before. I describe it as driving an rc car in the sky. I do NOT like the nutball. If flies like its name. Just not my thing.