Anyone in Southern California near Ventura?

urzu

Checking to see if anyone is near the Santa Barbara, Ventura, Oxnard, or Thousand Oaks area.

I'm starting on my 3rd foam build and figured it would be cool to meet up with anyone to fly sometime.

teddydbest

Hey Urzu,

Im in So Cal, but i'm further south than you. I live in San Diego and go to school in Redlands, but one of my best buddies lives up in Santa Barbara. Maybe someday they'll host a flightfest in So Cal!

Im very new to RC just got my first power pack and have begun to design and build my first foamy. Otherwise I've been flying the crap out of my Sport Cub s and my quad for a few months now. If I'm ever headed up that way ill let you know.

Cheers!
-Ted

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
San Diego native here as well, in North County San Diego, right on the border of San Diego and Orange County/Riverside Counties.

I know where Ventura is, but on a good day, it feels like it's 3 hours away (gotta love L.A. traffic!)

If you're ever in San Diego County, holler - we have a fair amount of fields to fly at here in North County, and my particular club is starting to take a shine to Flite Test planes because we can kill them and rebuild easily. :)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I'm somewhere in between you all, in Irvine, Orange County. I usually fly electric power at a place called Fairview Park in Costa Mesa, and once in a while I go out to Prado Airpark in Corona.

I haven't been out sloping in a while, but there are a couple places in Laguna that I slope-soar, as well as Long Beach (Bluff Park on Ocean Blvd.) and San Pedro (Pt. Fermin)

teddydbest

Im in oceanside which is in North County SD. I believe the closest RC airfield is in Fallbrook, though I have not made my way out there yet.

sprzout

Mentor
Im in oceanside which is in North County SD. I believe the closest RC airfield is in Fallbrook, though I have not made my way out there yet.

Well, technically, there's one in San Marcos, off of Twin Oaks Valley Rd. (belonging to the San Diego Wingmasters), but it's fixed wing electrics only - no multirotors or helicopters of any kind, which kind of turned me off of that club.

I belong to Palomar RC Flyers, which is the one in Fallbrook, off of the 15 and 76 freeway. They've got a large runway, everyone's really pretty nice, and it's a good club. Only problem I have with the field is getting out TO the field when it's rained recently (there's a small hill to go up to get to the field, and if it's rained, it's muddy).

And, on a side note, Teddy, if you want to check it out, this weekend, the 24th, would be a good weekend; they're opening the field to the public to come out, partly as a membership drive, but also to check out ASTREA, the San Diego Sheriff's helicopter division, that'll be landing at around 11:30 AM, with a barbecue afterwards.

teddydbest

Super good to know! I definitely would be interested in coming and checking that place out! how much is a membership there?

sprzout

Mentor
Super good to know! I definitely would be interested in coming and checking that place out! how much is a membership there?

Honestly, I don't remember...I think it was $90 for both my dad and I? I know they're talking about having some specials coming up, as we're trying to get new members in. If you show up Saturday, ask for Steve Gebler or Steve Kerrin - Gebler's the president, Kerrin's the guy in charge of membership. Both will help you. Tell them Doug Abel sent you. :)

(Unfortunately, I won't be there this Saturday, as I already have another commitment that my wife roped me into in Santee, but please, come check out the field!)

teddydbest

Thanks a ton Doug, thats not a bad price at all! I will make my way out there for sure. I would love to meet some other RC enthusiasts and learn a thing or two. Sorry you can't make it Sat. maybe i'll see you around there another time.

Checking to see if anyone is near the Santa Barbara, Ventura, Oxnard, or Thousand Oaks area.

Hey, I live there! But I only fly a Gremlin... and not very well at that - I probably wouldn't be able to keep up! I would love to try to fly with you though! PM me and maybe we can set something up.