Autopilot systems and a life long dream, please help if you can (video)

Rimmy

Hi Everyone. so, I thought this would be MUCH easier to explain, if I just made a video.... so I did.

PLEASE ignore the OBS setup, that's just my standard setup for recording and I didn't want to change it. It has NOTHING to do with this topic.

Thank you for any and all help you can provide! I will answer as many questions as needed to help me get back in the air!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hi Rimmy

First thank you for your time in our armed forces. There are many vets here as well as current active military people on these forums.

This may start off kind of negative and I am sorry but it will come around to a more positive end. To start I am not a huge fan of automated flying of RC aircraft. I don't agree with it as usually the aircraft we fly are too small to carry the redundant systems as backups for WHEN primary's fail. We see this all the time with systems like Phantoms when people use way points and auto navigation aids. We have also seen this with long range fixed wing flights. In most cases anyways it is out of most peoples price ranges to set up redundant safety systems which is one of the main reasons RC has been limited to LOS flights to minimize issues caused by failures.

I too was into aviation all my life (at least the love of it). Sadly life has happened and any chances of me doing any civilian aviation is gone for me as well. Enter Flite Test and my finding FPV. At first I thought ehh its just a substitute how close can it be to a real flight experience. After getting my first quad in the air and flying, then getting my skills up to where I could manage a flight without crashing it was time to try FPV. I was instantly hooked. The first time I took it way up in the air and did my first flips with fpv and I got that feeling in my stomach of inertia from doing the flip that was it. I found what I was always looking for.

Anyways onto what you are describing. Flying remotely in a full scale cockpit which would require FPV if not multiple camera FPV to get what you desire from the experience. There are many ways to do what you desire and people have had much success in doing it. The but comes in when you look at the current legality of it. Even the A.M.A. would not sanction what you wish to do as it breaks many of the "Guidelines" (they are still having problems coming to terms that FPV is here to stay)

Now on to the positive for you. There is a gentleman here working on just what you are looking for. The only thing lacking is that he has a portable set up for field use and not a full on cockpit reproduction as you speak of. Perhaps you could get in contact with him and learn all the things you need to fill in and catch up to where you need to be to achieve your goal.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?33325-WINDBOX-USB-my-HOTAS-(Hands-On-Throttle-And-Stick)-RC-control-(DIY)&highlight=HOTAS

Hopefully this connection can aid you. I only ask you think of the safety aspects and how you will represent the hobby with what you do with it.

Rimmy

Hi Psyborg.

Thanks for you candor. I can appreciate when people speak what they mean, it really helps get the point across.

A few things about me. I have been an R/C enthusiast for over 20 years. I am WELL versed on the laws and regulations in this hobby (I am speaking on them at my local community college actually) and am an AMA member, a member of my local flying club (AMA registered) and worked for the federal government for almost a decade after my uniformed service was over. I say this, because I am not new nor ignorant to the laws and problems facing the hobby at this time.

Having said all of that, I HAVE flown this system before, however, since it is now out of date, I was looking for options instead of putting an EOL system in my craft.

I do own and have flown FPV. Yes, I am aware that flying FPV is, by the letter of the law, illegal. I am also aware, that it is illegal in my home state of Texas as well. Lastly, I choose to break these laws anytime I put my goggles on and fly, as does every pilot anywhere. Lets call it an act of civil disobedience.

Last year at this time, my truck, containing ALL of my radio systems, FPV system, and a few aircraft (among other personal items) was stolen, and I lost almost $5000 in flying gear. I have since been able to replace my primary goggles and my transmitter. Hence the resurgence of my interest in flying.

What I am looking for, is not an entry level conversation about how to fly an aircraft. The Cessna is FAR from my first plane, and my previous crash that resulted in minor injury, was the result of a mechanical failure of a servo, not one of pilot error. I made every step to reconcile with the individual.

Please do not take my words as dismissive nor arrogant, this is literally how I speak every day. I just want to make clear the nature of my request. I am looking for technical guidance with the APM 2.6 mega respectively, or experience with a confirmed automated system successor, such as the Pixhawk2 or or a derivative there in.

The DIY drone community has archived the APM section as it is EoL and there is no discussion on it from that point.

Lastly, the safety and longevity of this hobby is at the forefront of my every decision, every time I charge my batteries in a fireproof case, to when I remove my props to work on my planes.

I understand we have never met, and you had no way of knowing my experience as a pilot, and added that as a blanket statement, however, I err to say that future such introductions might behoove requesting such information, instead of making an assumption, especially to the contrary.

Thank you for the link, I will certainly reach out in the appropriate arena!

Clear skies and tailwinds!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hi ya Rimmy,

I still have my FT Versa Wing (Blunt Nose) equipped with a APM 2.5 running an old version (the last version that supports the APM) of arduplane.

It still flies (great even) but it's not flown as much by me because of the bit more setup time it requires (acquiring GPS, flight checks, ground system setup, etc). If you have any questions about it, I can try to help as best I can. I also have a mini APM setup in a mini tricopter, so I've experimented with APM/arduplane & copter for a while now. While they are EOL, they're still functional and unless there's a new feature in the PX4/Pixhawk platform that you absolutely must need, then there's no reason why the old APM hardware/software won't work well for you.

Shows the last time I flew the Versa wing and recorded the FPV feed via a DVR. I've since flown it a few more times but actually never bothered recording the FPV feed or flew it LOS.

I'm an ex enlisted grunt(ish -- I drove tracked vehicles) who when I was young thought it was a great idea to have the Army pay me to get in the back of an airplane then jump out of said back while it was still in flight. Nowadays, I love flying my planes while my feet are firmly planted on terra-firma. One of your fellow Air Force (training to be a parajumper) once told me "there's no such thing as a perfectly safe airplane."

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
All good Rimmy.

Like you said we have no way of knowing who is on the other side of a conversation in a forum. Sadly most of the people who talk about doing things like this here are new or newish to the hobby and think it would be "cool" to do projects like that and not think some of the consequences thru. Some even plain do not care as they want to do something so they go ahead and do it regardless of how their actions may effect the hobby. Most have never touched a soldering iron and want to step right up to things like that let alone flown anything.

Anyways there are lots of experienced people here more then happy to help as you already have an answer from someone using the same system as you. Again good luck with gettin back in the air and if possible send some of that Texas weather up my way so we can go outside and fly too!!

Rimmy

Indeed Psy!

Are you going to be able to come to FT Texas? I am very much hoping to go and bring the cessna (hopefully it'll be done by then)

Rimmy

Hi Makattack!

I think I need to calibrate it better. but I don't really want to use it for its auto flight really, just loiter mode and to be able to use it as a joystick interface (which it'll do through telemetry)

I am building a drop in box for the entire system for the cessna to be able to just plug right in. Ordered a second set of hatches to use as the base mount.

I'll be powering the whole system on a seperate battery as well. PLENTY of room in the radio hatch for all the gear to fit, just gotta clean up the wires.

I'll be using a spare battery hatch to mount the FPV gear as well.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sadly no I wont be at FF Texas. Last year I was able to get to FF17 in Ohio but that was only because JimCr120 kidnapped me and drug me kicking and screaming the whole way hehe. Seriously though if it weren't for Jim there was no way I could have made it there. This year I am working on saving more to be able to go. So it may work out I will be there again this year.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hey Bill, I swing through NY on my way to FFE if you need a lift for 2018. So far, I'm planning on going.

Rimmy, very cool. Are you using auto-tune to calibrate your FC/aircraft? Yeah, I don't really use the autopilot features myself either. I have much more fun directly flying the plane. I got it more for the failsafe aspect but primarily as a science project for myself.

Just a little personal observation... the telemetry system is great, but most of those telemetry radios are not FCC certified devices, so I think even when using the 900MHz radio, you technically may still need to have a ham/amateur radio license. Of course, flying FPV, you pretty much need that as well... it's actually a good thing to have, in my opinion. Just furthers your education in the hobby.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ty for the offer Makattack. As far as I know Jim is planning on being there again this year and we made plans to go again this year. I also have a friend IRL that is planning to attend as well. As we get closer to FFOhio and things go into planning stages maybe we can all make arrangements to meet on the way and travel together.