Therry

Thanks for the swift reply. I will post some pictures

With kind regards

Therry

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Cool! Looking forward to seeing the build. FYI (and I hope this doesn't disappoint) but I am working on a whole new build / plans for this. Seems like I can't just leave it alone.

SU Model.jpg

DamoRC

Therry

IMG-20180317-WA0000.jpeg

This bird is almost done. Just the pods remain to be done.
After maiden, I will give it a color, if it's still alive then.
Build it from 6 mm depron. Will fly it with 4s 3700 60c and the edf is a 64 mm 11 blade from FMS. If i can balance it on the
CG. The CG is way back, so that might not possible with the stated battery.

IMG-20180304-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20180311-WA0000.jpeg

The build is not well documented. Just some pictures.

Therry

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice!

On the CG, are you worried about not being able to push the battery back far enough?

DamoRC

Therry

Yes, indeed. That's my concern. It is already at it most backwards position.
Is that 6.5 inch correct? The CG with the intended battery is now at 3.75 inch.
I can go for a lighter battery, or edding weight after the CG, but that is dead weight and that is always bad.

Therry

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Okay - just to clarify.

With your intended battery installed, the plane is balancing at 3.75 inches from the trailing edge of the wing along the fuse? And you cannot move your battery further forward?

DamoRC

Therry

3.75 inch from the front of the wing, leading edge, where it meets the fuse.

I did apparently not read your first reply correct. I missed the trailing. Normally it is measured from the leading edge.
The battery can go forward. So it will be alright.

Therry

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I too will be maidening the latest build tomorrow. However, I like to tempt the wrath of the maiden gods by finishing up the paint job before she is confirmed as air-worthy.

The orange ended up being a tad more orange than I had bargained for.

IMG_3241.JPG

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
That looks great DamoRC!

Thanks SlingShot. Let's see how she does tomorrow. She is a little under-powered from a static thrust point of view giving about 26 oz thrust while her AUW is 32 oz. It probably needs more intake area and I did not fit this one with a thrust tube. Should be good enough to fly but I expect I will be doing some hacking on her to get more oomph out.

DamoRC

Therry

Looking Sharp, DamonRc. The orange is great. Goodluck with the maiden

Therry

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks Guys!

So the maiden did not go well. The plane developed a glitch so that at full power or changing power to the EDF, the elevator servo went crazy, deflecting partially or fully up. So full power at launch, plane tried to fly straight up. Take the power off, slight up jerk then settled into flight, power up again, plane pointed straight into the air. It felt like a plane that was going from properly balanced to massively tail heavy every couple of seconds. Managed to glide her in for landing with no damage and that is when I discovered the weird elevator behavior. Switch the elevator to one of the aileron channels and it did the same thing. I thought (and still think) that its interference on the signal line caused by the EDF motor wires. Did a little hacking and routed the servo wire outside the plane to the hatch. On the ground this seemed to solve the issue. However, in the air for the second flight, the problem returned with a vengeance. Managed to get her down again with little or no damage and decided not to throw her up again until I had some time to sort out this servo problem.

Oh well, win some lose some.

@Therry - I hope your maiden went better?

DamoRC

Michael9865

Elite member
DamoRC, sounds like a very exciting time on the sticks. Looking forward to reading of your corrective action and a successful flight report.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks Michael

Worked on this a little last night and was not able to re-create the issue at home. Not a very satisfying outcome from a troubleshooting perspective. Will try again a couple of times this week. If I cannot get it to repeat, I'll try flying it again next weekend.

DamoRC

Therry

DamoRC, maiden planned for coming weekend. This Easter weekend the weather was not so good here in Holland chilly 9 degrees c and a drissel.

Great getting the plane back in one piece! Hope you can sort the problem out and try again soon.

Therry

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
DamoRC, maiden planned for coming weekend. This Easter weekend the weather was not so good here in Holland chilly 9 degrees c and a drissel.

Great getting the plane back in one piece! Hope you can sort the problem out and try again soon.

Therry

Thanks! It's warmer here in California but it is going to rain this weekend - so I sneaked out today for some flying time. The elevator issue is resolved (it must have been a loose wire in my servo extension for the elevator because all I did was disconnect, re-connect, and glue the connection so it was solid). The plane flew great but might have been a little slower than I was expecting. Will add a thrust tube to it for the next outing.

DamoRC