B-24 Maiden flight!

Grbyrns

Today’s maiden flight of the DTFB B-24 went perfectly. The Aura5 set to “launch assist” led to a strong, straight climb. I throttled back to half and flew two circuits of the field, testing the diff. throttles. Great stability, nose-heavy CG gave a lumbering and scale look while the 60” span and the 2lb weight gave a majestically slow flight. I filmed with a tail cam but can’t see a way to post the vid. Smooth landing, happy days and time to tart it up a bit.
C55C4D7F-BAD4-4BF1-8197-9AA8917D067D.jpeg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Today’s maiden flight of the DTFB B-24 went perfectly. The Aura5 set to “launch assist” led to a strong, straight climb. I throttled back to half and flew two circuits of the field, testing the diff. throttles. Great stability, nose-heavy CG gave a lumbering and scale look while the 60” span and the 2lb weight gave a majestically slow flight. I filmed with a tail cam but can’t see a way to post the vid. Smooth landing, happy days and time to tart it up a bit. View attachment 211218
You'll have to upload the video to YouTube.
Really good looking plane tho

Grbyrns

Today’s maiden flight of the DTFB B-24 went perfectly. The Aura5 set to “launch assist” led to a strong, straight climb. I throttled back to half and flew two circuits of the field, testing the diff. throttles. Great stability, nose-heavy CG gave a lumbering and scale look while the 60” span and the 2lb weight gave a majestically slow flight. I filmed with a tail cam but can’t see a way to post the vid. Smooth landing, happy days and time to tart it up a bit. View attachment 211218
No plans, I just measured the 3-view from Jack Staffords B-24 kit of the 70’s and scaled up by 1.8 to give s 60” span, the limit of the foam board. When I start the next one I’ll make plans. With proof of concept, I’m excited to refine it.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
No plans, I just measured the 3-view from Jack Staffords B-24 kit of the 70’s and scaled up by 1.8 to give s 60” span, the limit of the foam board. When I start the next one I’ll make plans. With proof of concept, I’m excited to refine it.
What power setup are you using??

Castle57223

This is awesome, makes me want to build the B-17 Ive always wanted to fly.
Wish Flite Test would do some monster plans for us larger scale flyers.
Who knows, maybe I'll get there first unless someone else has plans handy for a 6' to 10' wing span plane.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Beautiful build. (y)

Castle57223

I hope that you do decide to publish plans. We can't let these great warbirds disappear.