Staff member
Admin
Mentor
BABY BRIT

SP0NZ-Rickenbacker-BBrit-top_sm.png

SP0NZ-Rickenbacker-BBrit-bot_sm.png

** Special thanks to test pilot Tommy "TEAJR66" Armour for helping out **

DETAILS

This plane was designed specifically for the dawn patrol event that is forming for Flite Fest 2016. It is a variation of the Baby Baron. The new wing and empennage were inspired by the RAF S.E.5a biplane.​

It uses the same power setup as the FT Mighty Mini series, and can use the same power pod as the Mini Scout and Mini Speedster. It has nearly unlimited vertical on a 2S setup. I have not tried it on 3S (no 3S batteries small enough to test at the moment), but I'm guessing it will be pretty ballistic on that setup.​

PLANS

Baby Brit v1.0 All-In-One | Full-Size | Tiled

SPECIFICATIONS (*Copied from Baby Baron, need to update)

WINGSPAN:18 in457 mm
LENGTH:15 1/2 in394 mm
WING AREA:89.5 in25.8 dm2
WEIGHT (AUW):5.3 oz.150 g
WING LOADING:8.53 oz./ft225.9 g/dm2
WCL:10.8
CHANNELS:3
CONTROLS:Aileron, Elevator, Throttle

ELECTRONICS

MOTOR:Emax MT 1806
ESC:Turnigy Plush 12amp
BATTERY:450-800 mah 2S
PROPELLER:6 X 4.5
SERVOS:2 X 4.5g

SETTINGS
Ailerons : 40% Expo : 50%
Elevator : 40% Expo : 50%

IMAGES

13054560_1186411034727184_159348134_o.jpg

FLIGHT VIDEO

BUILD LOG

Materials

Plans
Download the latest plans from the link above or from the SP0NZ - Plans Index.

Fuselage Construction

Parts needed:

<02> Fuselage
<03> Fuselage Doubler X2

We'll start by assembling the fuselage, part number <02> on your plans. If you've built any of my swappable sized combat planes (Bloody Baron, Ugly Wonder, or Bloody Wonder MkIII), then this fuselage construction will already be very familiar to you.

STEP 1) Glue the C-Fold at the nose of the Fuselage. Make sure everything is squared up so the fuselage sides fold up perpendicular to the top plate.

STEP 2) Glue the B-Folds for the fuselage sides one at-a-time. I like to use the edge of the table to square up the fuselage with the tabs that will protrude from the top. Make sure that your sides are perpendicular to the top plate.

STEP 3) Repeat for other side.

STEP 4) Next get out your fuselage doublers, part number <03> on your plans. Ensure the doublers will fit snugly in the fuselage by lining up the notch in the doubler with the C-Fold in the fuselage. After checking for a proper fit, glue the doublers in place one at-a-time.

I'm going to assume that you already know how to build your Flite Test Mighty Mini Power Pod.

Verify that the mini power pod fits snugly in the fuselage.

Wing Construction

Parts needed:

<06> Wing
<07> Wing Spar

STEP 1) Cut the double 45° bevel along the score cut in the center of the wing, part number <06> on your plans.

STEP 2) Cut the single 45° bevels for each of the ailerons.

STEP 3) Remove the foam from the inside of the cavities for the spar tabs leaving the paper on the outside surface of the bottom of the wing. Note, you can choose to cut the openings all the way through, I just prefer the cleaner look you get by making the cavity.

STEP 4) Crease at the indicated crease lines.

Your wing should look similar to the following image at this point.

STEP 5) Score cut your spar, part number <07> on your plans, and fold it in half to establish the crease.

STEP 6) Apply glue to the inside of the fold and glue the two halves together.

STEP 7) Apply glue along the edge of the spar with the tabs and attach the spar to the wing by placing the tabs in the spar cavities.

STEP 8) Carefully test folding your wing and make sure that there is a slight gap between the bottom plate and the ailerons to allow proper deflection of the control surfaces.

STEP 9) Once you are happy with the wing shape, open the wing back up and apply glue along the double bevel groove, the top of the spar, and the trailing edge of the bottom plate. Then carefully fold your wing and apply pressure for 1-2 minutes let the hot glue properly cool.

Horizontal & Vertical Stabilizers

Parts needed:

<04> Horizontal Stabilizer
<05> Vertical Stabilizer

STEP 1) Remove foam for cavities in the horizontal stabilizer, part number <04> on your plans.

STEP 2) Cut the single 45° bevel for the elevator in the horizontal stabilizer.

STEP 3) Remove foam for the cavities in the horizontal stabilizer.

STEP 4) Glue the vertical stabilizer to the horizontal stabilizer making sure that they remain perpendicular to each other. Add hot glue to the seams on both sides of the vertical stabilizer and scrape off the excess with a scrap piece of foam.

Final Assembly

STEP 1) Attach the tail assembly to the fuselage using the slots and tabs for alignment.

STEP 2) Attach the wing assembly to the fuselage using the slots and the tabs for alignment. Use a square to ensure that the wing is square to the fuselage.

STEP 3) Add servos, control horns, linkage stoppers and push rods. This process is similar to many of the Flite Test builds. If you are new to building, refer to one of the Flite Test build videos for instructions.

STEP 4) Attach the exhaust manifolds to the fuselage.

STEP 5) Add your power pod with electronics using the same procedure as the FT Mini Scout build. Ensure the back of the power pod touches the top plate of the fuselage to obtain the proper amount of down thrust. Inset the dowels through the power pod.

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Awesome Sponz!

I'm glad I bought an extra sheet of DTFB yesterday. I'm building an arrow tonight. May also build one of these even though I can't make it to FTFF16

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
image.jpeg
Awesome little plane. That's one extreme thrust angle.

n00b question, do I need to be sure to run a CCW on this thing or can I use a CW with the motor spinning that way?

airhawk

Crashing Ace
could an unskilled airhawk build this plane i haven't built anything in a while also could it run a 2204?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Do NOT put a 2204 on this plane. Needs an 1806. 2204 has too much torque roll. Use at your own risk. You've been warned.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I just maiden'd mine (video exporting as I type) on a CF2805, flew great on a 5x5 and a 7x6. NOTE; If you run a 7" prop you'll need more than a 12A ESC. I think a 6x4 on a 12A would be just right.

Aloft Hobbies has good prices on all EMAX motors: https://alofthobbies.com/power/motors/emax-mt-series.html

I like the CF motors because they've got just as much power for what we're doing, and are almost half the cost.

edit: maiden flight video now posted...

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Good looking airplane. Seems like it was really tail heavy on your first couple of launches.

Yes, most definitely. I added a little tab of lead to the nose and it settled down nicely. I shouldn't have as much of a problem at FF, I won't have as many layers of paper especially on the tails.

J Bergsmith

Yes, most definitely. I added a little tab of lead to the nose and it settled down nicely. I shouldn't have as much of a problem at FF, I won't have as many layers of paper especially on the tails.

I have to agree, by the end of the video it was tracking along very nice.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz-Really like the design cues from the SE5. A must build!

Thanks, I like the looks of this one too. I think I will also make it in a swappable size version as well. 29 1/2" wingspan like the Bloody Baron.

shermanhartman

Balsa Splinter Generator
So the other day, a friend and I we're dropping my Baby Britt from one of my planes just for fun, using a rubber band drop. I decided i wanted something a bit more sound than a rubber band. Thus, this was born. As of right now, it works super well. The dowel gets mounted under the wing of a larger airplane (yet to be decided. Probably a Valkerie). I decided to make the plane mount upside down so that the lift from the airfoil will pull it away from the 'mothership'. The idea is to make it easy to build, and universal so that anyone can put one on their plane, and attach it to someone else's plane.

I have to test it, and to do that, i need a second pilot handy which is kind of rare. Will update once that happens.

Giomaz

Hello everyone this model (Baby Brit) is beautiful but when you can find plans for larger version?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hello everyone this model (Baby Brit) is beautiful but when you can find plans for larger version?

That will likely have to wait until after Flite Fest at this point. Too much on my plate right now to add another project to the list. But, if enough people ask...you never know.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here is my Baby Brit that I will be flying in mini combat for Flite Fest! Thanks Rasterize for the awesome Eddie Rickenbacker "Hat in the Ring" scheme.

SP0NZ-Rickenbacker-BBrit-top_sm.png

SP0NZ-Rickenbacker-BBrit-bot_sm.png