Balsa Builder Subscription!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I just got an email from Steven's Aeromodel that my Balsa Build Magazine and Plans subscription order for Fall 2017 was just shipped! :applause:

I don't know what's in it yet beyond the model titles: Featured full-size plans: ZuperDuper | ugh-LE-bug! | Adrenaline Rush 2.0

https://www.balsabuilder.com/shop/issue-6-2017-print-wplans/

I have been an enthusiastic subscriber since the first issue (and most back issues are still available for purchase). The quality of plans and articles is top notch, and there are always great technique articles too. Really worth the money for anyone into balsa :)

Anyone else a subscriber in here? Or going to sign up now that you know it exists?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im interested, but for now like building balsa kits. When scratch building, what are the power tools needed to cut ribs and fuse parts? Scroll saw, and?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Steven's Aero usually sells either a short or full kit for some of the plans in each issue, and also a decal set. I have two of these in my 'to do' pile now :)

I haven't actually tackled a full on scratch build yet - but again, I have two rolls of plans in my backlog too :)

(No, I don't have a plane problem. I still have space to store a couple more kits hanging from ceiling hooks :p)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Im interested, but for now like building balsa kits. When scratch building, what are the power tools needed to cut ribs and fuse parts? Scroll saw, and?

Depending on the size and complexity of the kit you can often get by with a good #11 blade and a sanding bar. Bigger planes, thicker wood, ply, etc make having a scroll saw or bandsaw a real plus. Also, when you start doing a lot of cuts having a power disc sander makes work go much faster.

You can often find scroll saws at swap meets, I've seen two this year so far. Power disc sanders are cheap at Harbor Freight, as are the scroll saws. I've got all these (plus other power tools) and use them all regularly when building. If I lost them all and had to replace them I'd start with a scroll saw and the power disc sander, then add either a hobby-sized table saw or bandsaw.

When I scratch build, I usually make a ply rib template and glue sandpaper to one side of it so it doesn't slip when I cut the balsa. I have a little scroll saw for cutting the templates, but I have used a coping saw in the past. I use a good sharp #11 for cutting the ribs. Last scratch build, I 3D printed a rib template!