Balsa kit.

NiCK_NaMe

When I was a kid, I wanted to get into RC airplanes, I built so many plastic models of airplanes. I admit that I got pretty good at them. I saved my money and bought a P 51D Mustang from Great Planes. I want to say it had around a 50 inch wing span. I built it, never put skin on it. just hung from the wall. I couldn't afford anything else, but I had a great time building it.

This was like 15 years ago... and I feel that they had so much more of a selection of balsa airplane kits back then? Can this be true? or was I just imagining this from my childhood? reason for asking is that I seems like there is a lack of selection for the most part. maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Some of the kit makers have sold off or simply got out of the business as foam gets more popular. Check in the balsa builders section as people list a bunch of current places to get them. If I remember correctly Rockboy posted like 10 or more sites for all things balsa that he sources his stuff from.

Check out these links. There a lot of what is known as short kits. This means that you get a kit with all the parts that need to be cut to a shape. For sticks and sheet, wire for landing gear, etc., the builder provides these things. There is a huge selection of short kits. Tower Hobbies also has a fairly large selection of kits. But, you are right, there are fewer full kits, but the Internet has also provided a huge wealth of plans that a person can download and print, and build from plans. It seems in our instant gratification society there's fewer people that have the patience to build a kit. There are so many foam planes that just need wings attached and a battery charged, so people aren't taking the time to build something.

http://www.manzanolaser.com/

http://lazer-works.com/main.html

http://store.laser-design-services.com/

NiCK_NaMe

Roversgonemad thanks for the links! That's perfect! I really like the idea of cutting the parts myself, but will wait until I get a scroll saw. Which is in the future. Was really excited about FT podcast today. They were saying about they are going to start to expand into balsa also. Which I think is great. Love the foamies but building is (for me anyways) more than half the fun. Your right some people just want to fly. Buy a plane and go... can't blame them. Building requries the time, patience and drive. Not everyone has or wants that. don't see anything wrong with that. I have done it before. Still have the 2 BNFs and still fly them (with Tape from crashing of course) satisfies the itch to go fly. But I have the building itch that foamies are not completely satisfying anymore. I need to go down that rabit hole. And wow... you can really make a nice looking plane when it's all done. That's rewarding in it's own right.

Those links will definitely expand my options. Thanks!

NiCK_NaMe

I looked up rocky boy I have been going through the links he posted up alot of those will be good for me to start with as well... really thinking a 40 or 50 inch cub would be a good 1st balsa build (2nd if you count my P 51 from 16 or 17 years ago)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
In my opinion, the type of plane picked is less important than getting a GOOD kit to start with. A Cub is good if the kit is well designed and easy to build. Some kits or plans are more advanced designs which should be avoided until the builder is more comfortable with balsa building.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm a big fan of setting yourself up for success, which drives my recommendations. But we're all different, so your mileage may vary. :)

NiCK_NaMe

You certainly have helped me and shared information I can use! Thanks. I just got most what I need for a magnetic build board. Cheap ikea shelf and magnets. If it is good. I will build a more permanent board. Or go back to the pins I used all those years ago. I will start a thread when I get started. Maybe you can share your thoughts and tips and tricks when this happens!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Once you use the magnetic board there is no going back! I love mine and plan to expand its size to handle large builds. I'll use pins when the magnets can't be used. If you have access to a 3D printer you can find numerous jigs for the magnets as well.

NiCK_NaMe

What size board do you have? There is alot of information about them... but I am having a tough time with deciding how big to make one once I have had enough with the ikea shelf. How big is you're magnetic board and what's the largest size plane could you build on it?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Mine is 2' x 4', but the plan is to re-build my entire work bench to raise it up a bit, strengthen it, and then cover the entire bench with a sheet of steel. The tentative plan is to go about 3' x 7' possibly as big as 4' x 8'. That would be big enough for just about any plane I build, and could easily handle the 116" wingspan L-19 that is slowly being built in my shop. I used to do a lot of metal fabrication and found it a great (although a bit cold) surface. Any paint, glue, residue, etc can be removed, although moisture would be an obvious problem. Any surface rust I had in the past was simply removed with steel wool or very fine sandpaper. For general work on the planes a plywood (or similar) sheet of wood could be laid down to provide a warmer surface.

NiCK_NaMe

Good point. I know there is some stainless that is magnetic. So there's a second option. Unfortunately that's obviously more pricy. I am really not thrilled about using anything that is going to rust. That would likely drive me mad cleaning and treating... even if it was on a monthly basis. Curious what my options are now for magnetic metals that won't rust and within a reasonable price. I need to do a search.

NiCK_NaMe

Your plan for going with a 3x7 or 4x8 foot bench top... that's really a great idea. Metal has such a clean look to it. Also with that size you could have two builds going on a surface that big side by side even. Or both wings to a 1/3 scale bipe lol!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Love magnets!

I absolutely love my magnetic system! My board is a 20x60" plate steel sanded and clearcoated to prevent rust and I also put grid lines on it. I use the Airfield models jigs ( pricey, but very nice) and also bills thumbs and fingers along with about 200 magnets. When building larger wings you may need even more. Look up my posts and you can find a more detailed description with links. I think the 20x60 should be good for wings up to 100" because you build them in halfs anyway. I think I will mostly build 60-80" wingspans.

This is my first balsa airplane build ( I built one a long time ago and one boat too) and so far I haven't used one pin, magnets are totaly the way to go. I also get creative with verticle presses and lead shot bags instead of pins. One thing to remember is to have a solid flat subsurface or the metal board will follow the contours of whatever it is on. I purchased a Uline solid wood heavy duty table and then put a hollow core door on it to make a larger work surface, then my steel board. It is dead flat. I hang all my magnets on a metal shelf hanging on the wall.

I probably have around $700 or more in my system, but it is worth it and so nice to build on.

My current project is the Great Planes T-Craft, it is an intermediate build and fairly labor intensive, but a great learning experience.

IMG_2957.JPG

Last edited:

NiCK_NaMe

nhk. I seen your board build thread. Your thread was the one that inspired me to go magnetic. I was about to pull the trigger on some pins and drop out tile when I came across it. Question on how you ordered the small / medium fixtures set. He has no options for ordering on him site and is no longer on amazon.

I have some galvanized shelf from ikea for now. It will work and when I am moved into my new house it will work great as a place to store all the magnets and will do something similar to what you got. Just not logical to build it now to have to move it in around 6 months

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It looks like he is in a transition stage for his store ordering system. I really like him and have emailed him back and forth on a few subjects.

The small/medium set is what I have plus an extra 100 magnets. I think it is around $250 for all that. You also have to finish the wood fixtures, so it is a bit of work, but a labor of love for tools that will last a lifetime if handled properly.

Here is a link http://www.airfieldmodels.com/store/magnetic_fixture_system_2/small_medium_fixture_set.htm

Here is what he says to do if you want to purchase from him for now.
As of 4-1-2017 - Amazon Store is Closed!

Amazon has terminated the service I was using to sell my Fixture systems. Their new service does not begin to meet my needs. It's a lot of work and not worth the effort to migrate to the new service.

At this time I have a professional constructing an online store for me. The completion date is unknown but it should be up and running in just a few weeks.

Until then I can use the new Amazon service for individual orders. If you would like to purchase one of my stock fixture sets or a custom fixture set then email me the details of what you want and I can create an invoice for you to pay through Amazon. If you don't know what you want then I'm happy to help with that as well.

Email: webmaster@airfieldmodels.com

Also, check out these guys for magnetic stuff, they have some really cool cheaper stuff that I like also for lighter duty building. http://retrorc.us.com/buildingjigsystem.aspx

Last edited: