Balsa Mighty Mini BF-109

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hey, thanks for checking out one of my latest little projects. This is a balsa version of Local Fiend's Mighty Mini BF-109.

I've not worked with balsa a great deal before, so picking this airframe to tackle first time out probably wasn't the smartest move, but it seems to be going well.

Be sure to check back for updates!

View attachment DSC06318.jpg
View attachment DSC06320.jpg
DSC06326.jpg

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Yep, balsa fuse and tail with a foam wing for now. Will probably be changing this to a balsa wing later on, but thought that I should see if it flies first! :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Great project, James. I think you could probably get away with thinner balsa on this to lighten things up. As balsa is far more rigid, you can get away with some more strategic work to make the airplane with fewer parts as well. Looking great and looking forward to the balsa wing.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Great project, James. I think you could probably get away with thinner balsa on this to lighten things up. As balsa is far more rigid, you can get away with some more strategic work to make the airplane with fewer parts as well. Looking great and looking forward to the balsa wing.

Completely agree I could have done without overengineering it with the thick balsa sheeting. I think my next balsa project might be a glider or some sort of simple boxy plane you that I'll try and get as lightweight as possible. Still learning these techniques so yeah, if anyone else wants to provide feedback, I'm listening! :)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Looking really good! Those exhaust stacks are a great little detail to add to almost any FT plane. Maybe a bunch of little balsa attachments that anyone can make to add scale detail to foam board planes would be a cool article idea...

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
In full, how the 109 looks presently.
DSC07433.jpg

My goal to have the aircraft break down into modular parts (cowling, cockpit, powerpod, wing, etc) seems to have worked out quite well. The way this is done will hopefully allow me to access all of the electronics whilst making repairs to individual sections way easier.
DSC07435.jpg
DSC07436.jpg
DSC07437.jpg
DSC07438.jpg

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Looking really good! Those exhaust stacks are a great little detail to add to almost any FT plane. Maybe a bunch of little balsa attachments that anyone can make to add scale detail to foam board planes would be a cool article idea...

Hey that's a good idea!

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Did this awesome little project ever get off the ground? Currently shopping around for a good 109 build, after the scratchbuilt Depron model I bought off a guy seems to be on its deathbed :confused: (crashed and broken fuse in two, TWICE)

Cheers,
Sam