BBA/Winter Build 2017/18 - Top Flite Corsair

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Eeehh Gaddss, I just realized this is a build thread, and probably going to be one of the coolest builds! Lets get back to building on here...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
As for the whistle... I dunno. I need to dig into it a bit more but one of the modifications to the oil cooler vents is to make something that looks better on my 3D printer. Perhaps a whistle could be incorporated into the print somehow.

As for the gas vs. electric debate... I fly electric and I like it. Jeff likes a bit of both and that is cool too. I really don't care what you fly as long as you fly. There are builders in this world who makes these incredible machines only to have them sit around and never fly. ahem... Bugatti... ahem. :p

How big is the actual vent? On a .60 size plane I'm guessing you could probably print up some kind of whistle that would fit. Which program do you design with?

The slots in the leading edge of the wing, for oil coolers, intercoolers, machine guns, etc., made it whistle. They wanted nothing protruding, for aerodynamic reasons, and the resulting recesses made it have a distinctive whistle. It was a hot rod, for sure. I have a great uncle that flew a corsair at the end of ww2, and he loved it, but really didn't like night landings on a carrier. It was hard enough in the day!!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Building indeed! First... the vent is about 2cm high and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get something that will work. The problem really lies in making the whistle deep enough in tone, which requires more volume. This is basic Helmholtz resonance theory. There are SOOOOO many whistles on thingiverse that I am sure I can find something that I can scale up and insert into the wing.

To kick off this evaluation, here is a reference shot of the very dull and otherwise non-scale oil cooler vents. Vacuum formed plastic and probably fine for a sport-scale model... but that is not what we are after.
IMG_5209.JPG

First print for this project. The inner vanes direct air inward toward the fuselage so placing a whistle in front of this air flow would absolutely work.
IMG_5210.JPG

After digging through both halves of the box I was able to separate out the wood that is designated "to be built" and the rest, which is from the assembly of the tail planes and wing. In most kits, and this one is no exception, keep your scrap pieces because you need them for little things here and there. I located the pieces that were "built" and they were more or less incompletely built at this point. There were a couple of errors that I noticed as I placed them over the plans. The elevator balance tab was missing on one elevator and some balsa pieces were missing. Scrap was missing to make up thickness for the U-joiner for the elevators and the tips were not shaped either. The leading edge of the H-stab still needs to be shaped but the corners were beveled. The elevators' ribs still need to be properly shaped as well. Lots of shaping overall needs to be done on these parts.
IMG_5212.JPG

The V-stab and rudder were in better shape. All the formers were in place and overall shaping needs to be done.
IMG_5211.JPG

I plan to lighten these control surfaces with holes. I want to cover them with Solartex and its a fairly heavy covering on the tail end. What also is needed is some additional shaping of the framework to a more scale manner. I'll get into this more later but I want it to show through the covering. There are so many walkaround photo references out there because this is such a popular subject. For now, here is a reference.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It does not seem like much done until you look at the balsa dust. Keeping this going a little at a time. The shaping is done on all of the tail planes. I can now go and add some detail pieces.
IMG_5215.JPG

jsknockoff

Mentor
Seeing those parts framed up brings back memories, that kit was the last kit my dad and I had started on before abandoning the hobby years ago. If I remember correctly, the rudder gets a steel piece built in allowing for concealed pushrod connections and couples with the tailwheel?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
That is correct. I will be fabricating a retractable tail wheel but the tail control surfaces have concealed linkages... which is a real feature on a warbird.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Nice, looking forward to this.

Still not sure what direction I want to focus my energy on in 2018. Maybe for evil :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I, for one, would like to see you try your hand at BUILDING something. You have a lot of neat ARFs but nothing I feel like completely terrifies you if you crash it because you put so much effort into it. :p

abieex

Mentor
Andre, you were just slapped with an open hand! You're response is? Wilsonman, please go to a neutral corner while the medics tend to Andre.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Meh, Andre knows this from me. I'm a builder and he is not there YET. One day there will be that ONE model he HAS to have that nobody makes and he will start to get interested.

Progress today even though I was STUPID busy. The leaves are falling and the inside and outside of the house are disgusting. Made some progress on the tail gear assembly in Fusion... More to come on this.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
retractable tailwheel. I'm looking forward to this. *rubs hands together in malicious glee*

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
So, after fiddling with things a bit I'll go through my process here. The design is from Chad Veich. I used his vectored PDF in Adobe Illustrator to create a DXF file that I could import into Fusion. From there, I was able to isolate each part and give the corresponding thickness as indicated by the plans. From there, I shot it into S3D for slicing and test printing. Here are the 1/16" parts (1.6mm) being printed. After some consideration, the main mounting crutch could be assembled in Fusion and combined to make one mesh for printing. I did a test print of that and it needs a tiny bit of refinement but I think it will work. The parts assemble beautifully with CA as-is and I am hopeful that this will work and be strong once assembled. These parts are originally designated to be made of G10 material so we shall see. Chad and I both think that I am onto something here.
IMG_5229.JPG

Eventually, I DO want to incorporate a tail hook that is retractable. It is two additional parts and another servo but I am not expecting to do too many carrier landings with this one. However, a full blown dirty pass will be something special for sure.

On another note on scale fidelity, I looked over a box of UMX parts that were gifted to me about a year ago. After messing with them and my Tx, I believe I can use these micro servos to animate the cockpit using my Spektrum module and leave the Taranis to do its protocol for the flight controls, separately powered of course. This will entail functional yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle lever at a minimum.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It's possible but I have no intention of it. It may be something I add and then just tell people the channel so they can plug in for a ride along. I know very little about FPV and I think, if light enough, it may be worth it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Only had a little bit of time last night as I had to prepare for some family-based festivities (wife's birthday). I started to assemble the tail gear pieces. The single print of the mounting plate parts is a go and the other pieces are fitting perfectly. While the geometry seems pretty funky at first it is a brilliant design that incorporates a lock that should take the load off the servo when the wheel touches down. Keep in mind that right now this is a mock-up and will likely not be the final version. I'm assembling it using CA and thumb tacks with yard flag wire at some pivot points. The final version will be assembled with epoxy.
IMG_5237.JPG