Bell P-59 Airacomet Plans

unrauv

Well this is my first design in the jet age. It will be a Dual FMS 50mm 12 Blades Ducted Fan EDF running from a Single 4S - 2650 mah 40C. Thrust will be 850 g x 2 = 1700 g of trust, should be a little over 1:1.

Using a 3 Cell will get you 650g x 2 = 1300 g of trust.
Suggestions are welcome on this aircraft.

BellP-59A-WIP.png

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
UNRAUV!!:mad: NOW I'M GONNA HAVE TO GET ANOTHER EDF AND ANOTHER BATTERY:p

Looks like a good start, what do you think the wingspan will end up being?

Namactual

Elite member
Unrauv, I wish I had half of your dedication to designing and building.

I almost picked the P-59 for my FTFC entry. If/when I retire and have some extra free time, I will be building this bird.

Great work as always.

unrauv

I plan to model the entire plane in 2D for Parts / 3D for skins and layout. I will get back to this plane when I finish a FW-TA152 set of plans I am working on.

I am also thinking of finishing my ultimate set of plans, Lockheed Super Constellation now that I can model the skins.

unrauv

Technical Data:

Wing Span : 1220 mm
Fuse Length : 1036 mm
EDF Motors : FMS 2 x FMS 50mm 12 Blades Ducted Fan EDF
ESC : 2 x 40Amp 3C or 4C
Battery : ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 40C or ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 3S1P 40C
Battery : ZIPPY Flightmax 4500mAh 4S1P 45C or

Some more cool 3D views and construction...

P-59A-PartsView1.png

P-59A-PartsView3.png

P-59A-PartsView4.png

P-59A-PartsView2.png

P-59A-PartsView5.png

P-59A-PartsView6.png

P-59A-PartsView7.png

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wow! You really are having some fun with the 3D design.

So a symmetrical wing then?

Also wondering why you are not including a regular thrust tube as opposed to the design you have shown where it seems you have added a piece to transition from the square section to the round exhaust. Why not just add a single round thrust tube that runs from the EDF to the exhaust?

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
This is either genius or honest error.

At the speeds of our foamies, we can treat air as an Incompressible fluid. As long as he is not constricting the exhaust, he should not lose too much thrust. The intake would be the more important area to tune. If we take what he has designed there, “minus” the trim rings, we can see some reason to having the pass through area from the square duct surrounding the round EDF. This would in effect allow the high pressure area at the corners pass through past the round EDF housing.

On the other hand, the trim ring drawn in the 3D model would not help in this situation though as the radius of the lip would try to reverse the air passing by the housing 180*.

You would be better off either leaving the intake lip ring off and allowing the air to pass through the square duct, or walling off the square duct to create the high pressure area to help feed the EDF lip ring, which would boost air velocity to help feed the tips of the fan blades.

I think in this situation you would be better off leaving the lip ring off. If you look at Mid7night’s F-5 EDF duct work you will see the same design reasoning.

That said, fluid mechanics is a very complicated animal. Trial and error is really the best way to tune aero flow and thrust. Even then, at these speeds and displacements, we are splitting hairs.

In any event, this is truly a work of art unrauv. I can not wait to see the finished product.

Edit: Disconnect between brain and fingers.

Last edited:

unrauv

Wow thanks everyone, the wing will be symmetrical. I thought I would leave the lip ring on to transfer the thrust to the 1/16" hobby plywood in front then to the center frame.

As for the square EDF holder, the only reason I did it this way is to imbed the ESC on either the bottom or the side to allow for cooling from the EDF. I have done the weight math and it will be a little under 1:1 trust to weight on a 4S battery. The plane has a larger wing area so I am hoping it makes the difference. Basically will not have unlimited climb.

The ducting at the back was to allow for the flat sides for the ESC.

Could I run the dual EDF engines on a single battery?