Bills Law strikes again! Life of a Psyborg documented.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Got Got again.... My internet is down for a while. At a friends for Easter Dinner so no idea if my field has been hit by the space station. Will be back as soon as I can.

Got to fly three different birds today, not counting helping my nephew getting his drone he got for Christmas flying. I figured my tricopter collided with a piece of the debris or something because it crashed for no reason. But then I looked it up on the news and it said "they keep pushing the expected arrival time further into the future". So typical...

PS is something wrong with the view counters per thread?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
PsyBorg,
Looks like wees are in the clears and will not be hit by any debris. :-D

Cheers!
LitterBug

Only because I was not home and out flying!!

My internet is back up so not too much down time. I HATE cable companies.. Nearly as hard to deal with as Facebook and twice as stupid... I can not believe people can sit there representing a business knowing they are lieing to you and denying it as you sit there giving them proof they are busted.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Got to fly three different birds today, not counting helping my nephew getting his drone he got for Christmas flying. I figured my tricopter collided with a piece of the debris or something because it crashed for no reason. But then I looked it up on the news and it said "they keep pushing the expected arrival time further into the future". So typical...

PS is something wrong with the view counters per thread?

I got out to rip the Gremlin a bit yesterday. Was a tad windy so made it more challenging.

As far as counters.. The entire internet is conspiring against me with those. The analytics for my you tube show videos getting 5 or more hits a day and they don't advance for weeks. Some have not advanced for months now since they changed over to the new screw tube for monetized accounts. No idea what the counters here are doing as I don't keep track of them. I would assume if there is an issue it has something to do with the swap to the new system / servers. Maybe they used a back up and some counters were reset back to a prior time..

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
I got out to rip the Gremlin a bit yesterday. Was a tad windy so made it more challenging.

Guessing that's the 5" Gremlin not the micro. I want to build a nice 5". I have a FuriousFPV F4 that I'd like to check out. Can't decide on a frame, motors and ESCs. I liked the T-motors LB pointed out but not sure best KV for my use. I mainly want it to work with the GoPro Session, hopefully no props in the footage, freestyle only. Any ideas?

Glad you got your internet back on, reminds me how ours went out for Christmas. That was not fun...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nope it was the 2 inch Gremlin.

I have not flown a lot of quads but I have not needed to. The RR5 Alien I have is rock solid performer. Its a tad expensive compared to other builds but the performance and reliability is worth it. I think the only thing I might change is go to the V2 KISS Fc and the 32 amp esc's and maybe lower KV motors then the original Lumenieer 2350's so I can go 4s to 6s to consolidate batteries better as the 4s's die off and I go up to 5s and 6s on Taz.

The MRM stretch reaper I use on Taz is a great frame too but you have to have high camera angle for props to not be in view of FPV camera. Don't have and have not tried an action camera on that one yet as its more for racing.

The two new frames FGA and Ummagod came out with are in that same level of quality. I just don't like the battery in the prop line.
As far as KISS vs non KISS Fc's I can fly both and tune them pretty good. I prefer KISS though as it has a special "feel" to it over beta flight and clean flight that I have worked with.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
I have not flown a lot of quads but I have not needed to. The RR5 Alien I have is rock solid performer. Its a tad expensive compared to other builds but the performance and reliability is worth it. I think the only thing I might change is go to the V2 KISS Fc and the 32 amp esc's and maybe lower KV motors then the original Lumenieer 2350's so I can go 4s to 6s to consolidate batteries better as the 4s's die off and I go up to 5s and 6s on Taz.

RR5 Alien
KISS V2 FC - 32bit F7
Flyduino KISS 32A 32bit ESC (2-6S)
Lumenieer ?KV for 4s to 6s

Gives me something to look at, looking good...

As far as KISS vs non KISS Fc's I can fly both and tune them pretty good. I prefer KISS though as it has a special "feel" to it over beta flight and clean flight that I have worked with.

I'm planning on checking out KISS FCs also, would be my first F7. Thank you PB...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you are planning to go fully up to 6s then I suggest using the Emax lite spec LS2206 1700 kv motors that have recently come out. If only 4s then the Lumenier 2306 2350kv are great. I hammered mine daily for over a year and a half before they started wearing out the bearings. Not bad since I never oiled them hehe. If you wanna run 4s and 5s then the Emax 2306 2400KV motors would fill both the freestyle and a race set up nicely.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
If you are planning to go fully up to 6s then I suggest using the Emax lite spec LS2206 1700 kv motors that have recently come out. If only 4s then the Lumenier 2306 2350kv are great. I hammered mine daily for over a year and a half before they started wearing out the bearings. Not bad since I never oiled them hehe. If you wanna run 4s and 5s then the Emax 2306 2400KV motors would fill both the freestyle and a race set up nicely.

Emax is good in my book too, I have an old school F-330 with MT2208 II 2000KV that really lights them up. They are only rated 2-4s but still pretty fresh. Will probably end up at 6S I'm sure, but I'm thinking I should probably work my way up from 4S. I'll upgrade my charger to 6S but probably use for 4S on this build.

If 4S, what mAh batteries should I be looking at?
How is the RR5 Alien $100+ better than the Alien?
Found KISS V2, having trouble finding the 32A ESCs. Should the 24A work for me, or another other good brand?
Didn't know you could oil brushless motors (thanks). What kind of oil do you use?

Thanks for all the good info PsyBorg...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I started out running Lumenier graphene 1300 packs. Used them exclusively for over a year. Then I tried a tatu 1300 95c normal battery and was not impressed with the power but I killed it before I had enough cycles to really tell after I smashed it on a wooden railing. then I tried China hobby line 1300 100c and will be using them more. I use the Pulse batteries on the Gremlin and want to try them on Taz but I can't seem to find any 5s available that isn't 2200+ mah atm.

I went with the RR5 build to support Rotor Riot when they were starting before they went all goofy with the gurly dramas. I just rebuilt mine and went with the Steele PDB to get rid of the PNP 50 that weighed a ton and only did 4s and changed out the Lumenier VTX that was in a heavy case to shed some more weight with a PandoRC variable power vtx. I have one on Taz as well. BTW another frame to look at that is very popular and a tank as well is the Armattan Chamelion. If I could afford another build I would set one of those up as a low kv freestyle quad.

If you are going V2 take yer time and wait for the 32 amp esc's that way you can take advantage of all the newer features of the v2 like Dshot 1200 and 2400. If you can't wait take a look at the Spedix IS series. I use the 45a on Taz but you should be plenty fine with room to spare with 30a on a freestyle build. They are built like the proverbial BSH.

As far as oil goes I have not really done it other then once when I drowned two motors getting them packed full of snow. Any light machine oil like 3 in 1 or WD 40 should so fine. Use it sparingly other wise it becomes a dirt magnet. I used pipettes to drop some in when I did it. Any pharmacy should stock them

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
I started out running Lumenier graphene 1300 packs. Used them exclusively for over a year. Then I tried a tatu 1300 95c normal battery and was not impressed with the power but I killed it before I had enough cycles to really tell after I smashed it on a wooden railing. then I tried China hobby line 1300 100c and will be using them more. I use the Pulse batteries on the Gremlin and want to try them on Taz but I can't seem to find any 5s available that isn't 2200+ mah atm.

Thanks, that helps,

I went with the RR5 build to support Rotor Riot when they were starting before they went all goofy with the gurly dramas. I just rebuilt mine and went with the Steele PDB to get rid of the PNP 50 that weighed a ton and only did 4s and changed out the Lumenier VTX that was in a heavy case to shed some more weight with a PandoRC variable power vtx. I have one on Taz as well. BTW another frame to look at that is very popular and a tank as well is the Armattan Chamelion. If I could afford another build I would set one of those up as a low kv freestyle quad.

So is the Amazon $30 Alien frame adequate, or is that cheap clone? Really like the Chamelion too. So many decisions!

If you are going V2 take yer time and wait for the 32 amp esc's that way you can take advantage of all the newer features of the v2 like Dshot 1200 and 2400. If you can't wait take a look at the Spedix IS series. I use the 45a on Taz but you should be plenty fine with room to spare with 30a on a freestyle build. They are built like the proverbial BSH.

Sounds worth the wait to me! Thank you PB...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh yeah that Alien frame is a knock off. I think they call them Martians.

The RR5 Alien is the same price as the real Alien frame but comes with the anodized aluminum hardware and other slight modifications. You can get cheaper frames for sure but cheap carbon has several drawbacks. It is weaker, depending on the weave and the cut it can enhance harmonic vibrations (learned this the hard way when I bought a cheaper carbon frame for Taz) and it promotes more thievery from people who put the effort and cost into making the original design so it did not have any of those qualities of the clones.

If the Alien is too high for your budget there are other quality options. The Reverb frame from FGA, Ummagods frame, any of the MRM designs, Armattan. They all have quality products that will take some serious hits and get up smiling.

cnc_dave

hey kpix,
a frame i recently purchased was from Iflight, i purchased after finding several good reviews. they have several different size models from 2" to 8". CF is of high quality, arms have nice beveled edges, no sharp edges any where.
most of their kits are from $35 to $60. i have the xl7, very ridgid and flies smooth. you can find them on amazon or order direct from iflight. i went the amazon route
you can see some builds and reviews on the youtube.
just my 2 cents.

psyborg good to see you survived the tiagong falling out of the sky

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well that is still up for debate Dave. Right now its super cold and windy and that white stuff flying around is questionable at best. I think it may be fall out!! :rolleyes:

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Oh yeah that Alien frame is a knock off. I think they call them Martians.

The RR5 Alien is the same price as the real Alien frame but comes with the anodized aluminum hardware and other slight modifications. You can get cheaper frames for sure but cheap carbon has several drawbacks. It is weaker, depending on the weave and the cut it can enhance harmonic vibrations (learned this the hard way when I bought a cheaper carbon frame for Taz) and it promotes more thievery from people who put the effort and cost into making the original design so it did not have any of those qualities of the clones.

If the Alien is too high for your budget there are other quality options. The Reverb frame from FGA, Ummagods frame, any of the MRM designs, Armattan. They all have quality products that will take some serious hits and get up smiling.

I figured there was a catch. My main concern is performance too and that it can carry the GoPro Session and with no props in footage (at least very minimal). I'll look at all of those, thanks for all the recommendations. I really like the chamelion though and the price isn't too bad. Thanks PB...

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
hey kpix,
a frame i recently purchased was from Iflight, i purchased after finding several good reviews. they have several different size models from 2" to 8". CF is of high quality, arms have nice beveled edges, no sharp edges any where.
most of their kits are from $35 to $60. i have the xl7, very ridgid and flies smooth. you can find them on amazon or order direct from iflight. i went the amazon route
you can see some builds and reviews on the youtube.
just my 2 cents.

Hey cnc_dave,
Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely have a look at those. I prefer to buy stuff off Amazon if they have what I'm looking for. That is if FliteTest doesn't have it...

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
A few members in our drone club at school have an Armattan Chameleon and Rooster. From what I've seen, they are really nice frames and take a hit well. Best is that they have lifetime warranties so if you break it your just out a few weeks of shipping (they ship from China).

Personally I fly Martians, because I am a cheap college student. When these frames break though I will probably invest in something better and more modern. Readymaderc has the Screech which is only $40, and if you do not want to carry a GoPro, quite a few racing/acro frames are sub $50.

cnc_dave

I figured there was a catch. My main concern is performance too and that it can carry the GoPro Session and with no props in footage (at least very minimal). I'll look at all of those, thanks for all the recommendations. I really like the chamelion though and the price isn't too bad. Thanks PB...

kpix,
might want to check this out. don't see the Chameleon discounted often.
https://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/5-quad-frames/armattan-chameleon-fpv-frame-5.html

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
kpix,
might want to check this out. don't see the Chameleon discounted often.
https://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/5-quad-frames/armattan-chameleon-fpv-frame-5.html

Thanks cnc_dave and Snarls, good looking out! The Chamelion it is then, I was going to buy this from the GetFPV link, but noticed it doesn't actually say which version it is even though they have a picture of a newer version. PsyBorg, the KISS v2 and 32A ESCs are heading my way. It's on!

EDIT: Thanks cnc_dave, I went ahead and snagged that. Should call this FTFFS for FliteTest Forum Freestyler;

Armattan Chameleon 5" Silver
KISS V2 - 32bit - F7 - 216MHz
Flyduino Kiss 32A 32 Bit ESC
Lumenier RX2206-11 2350Kv
Flysky FS-X6B Receiver

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Haha.. NEVER fails...

Rebuilt the Alien replaced the motors, got the runcam split in it. Found the camera mount I had improvised was to smooshy and let the camera shake too much. I thinned down the foam spacer I made and tightened that up. Got it nice an stable. Went to tune out the fine shakes I had on punch out and Bills Law jumped up and punched me in the face as hard as I punched the throttle.

Got the tune down to where I needed to redo TPA for fast accelerations and punch outs. What Bills law did is let the pressed on band around the Lumenier 2350 kv motor bell on the right rear motor break loose. It managed to drift far enough down to bind on the motor base locking the motor up solid about 30 feet in the air under full power punch out.

Once I figured what was going on I tried to make it go back to where it needed to be. I turned to quad upside down and whacked the prop nut on once of the metal bolts holding the picnic table together. It took a while but I managed to get the band back up tight against the top of the bell where it belonged.

That lasted all of two mid throttle accelerations and it was back to rubbing. Soo the project for today is to replace that bell with one from my old motors that have the worn bearings and see what that gets me. While I am doing repairs I will probably get TAZ back up too since it is a drizzly and windy day here today.

I will post pictures later, maybe even a short video if I feel motivated.