Bloody Baron - Build

Marty72

Elite member
Took my two new builds out for maiden this morning. The Bloody Baron went great, probably the best hand launch on a maiden ever. It's really easy to chuck and it climbs out great even out of trim (w/o any stick input). Initially, I thought it was perfectly trimmed the way it climbed out, but it was not. Anyway, ran 3 batteries through it, I need to adjust the throws a bit, too much aileron in any setting other than low rates (Too little elevator, for the corresponding aileron). First plane I've flown without dihedral, I was a bit confused a couple of minutes into the flight why I couldn't seem to get the ailerons trimmed (to stay) but then realized what was going on. I had some side wind lightly gusting and that was making me think the plane was out of trim. I'm use to the FT warbirds with dihedral once trimmed fly pretty level in this conditions.

With the C pack, it's a pretty fast plane, and I see why this is a "combat plane", changes direction pretty darn quickly. I think I'll be flying this one a lot. Crazy roll rate. Very easy to land and forgiving due to it's weight. I also thought it flew very well for it's size in a light breeze.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Took my two new builds out for maiden this morning. The Bloody Baron went great, probably the best hand launch on a maiden ever. It's really easy to chuck and it climbs out great even out of trim (w/o any stick input). Initially, I thought it was perfectly trimmed the way it climbed out, but it was not. Anyway, ran 3 batteries through it, I need to adjust the throws a bit, too much aileron in any setting other than low rates (Too little elevator, for the corresponding aileron). First plane I've flown without dihedral, I was a bit confused a couple of minutes into the flight why I couldn't seem to get the ailerons trimmed (to stay) but then realized what was going on. I had some side wind lightly gusting and that was making me think the plane was out of trim. I'm use to the FT warbirds with dihedral once trimmed fly pretty level in this conditions.

With the C pack, it's a pretty fast plane, and I see why this is a "combat plane", changes direction pretty darn quickly. I think I'll be flying this one a lot. Crazy roll rate. Very easy to land and forgiving due to it's weight. I also thought it flew very well for it's size in a light breeze.
Holy :poop: you are flying something other then a warbird, way to stretch the legs man. The combat planes are awesome, as you can tell i have built a bunch. I like how maneuverable they are, easy to build, and easy to fix. plus all the components are out in the open for cooling, ease of batt changes and troubleshooting.

The Baron is a plane that can run the B pack for more of a park flyer but the C is always better. I was running the 2212 1400kvs on the Baron and they were peppy, with a 1800 3s and the lighter higher RPM motor they are quick, handle like its on rails.

What was the other maiden?

Marty72

Elite member
Yep, really fast and easy to build. It's a really good bang for the buck (time building) plane. I've noticed a considerable difference between 25c and a 50c discharge rate battery with this plane. Perhaps there is an issue with the 25c battery, or maybe the discharge rate is too slow (choked off).

I can see building a bunch of these in different colors to do combat, if I had someone to fly combat with, and if I had a place to do so. Not every flying location is going to be cool about you having combat. I believe you need a nice remote site without witnesses.

The other maiden: Which was pretty sloppy, I didn't take any time doing a good visual trim and was way out!
I gave my Scout a new body (the old one was looking shabby). It only had 50 batteries run through it, but hundreds and hundreds of take offs and landings. I'm still using this as a practice plane for take off and landing on multiple surfaces and conditions. When I fly this plane, I spend most of the time flying it low and as close to stall speed as possible. I use the B pack for it, because that's all that is needed for its purpose. I'm hoping to go as a guest to a new flying field (to try out) Sunday and I'd like to have a plane to land and take off w/ gear (so I can at least, initially, look like I know what I'm doing). The Scout is that plane for me. I'll take my spits as well. IMG_2865.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yep, really fast and easy to build. It's a really good bang for the buck (time building) plane. I've noticed a considerable difference between 25c and a 50c discharge rate battery with this plane. Perhaps there is an issue with the 25c battery, or maybe the discharge rate is too slow (choked off).

I can see building a bunch of these in different colors to do combat, if I had someone to fly combat with, and if I had a place to do so. Not every flying location is going to be cool about you having combat. I believe you need a nice remote site without witnesses.

The other maiden: Which was pretty sloppy, I didn't take any time doing a good visual trim and was way out!
I gave my Scout a new body (the old one was looking shabby). It only had 50 batteries run through it, but hundreds and hundreds of take offs and landings. I'm still using this as a practice plane for take off and landing on multiple surfaces and conditions. When I fly this plane, I spend most of the time flying it low and as close to stall speed as possible. I use the B pack for it, because that's all that is needed for its purpose. I'm hoping to go as a guest to a new flying field (to try out) Sunday and I'd like to have a plane to land and take off w/ gear (so I can at least, initially, look like I know what I'm doing). The Scout is that plane for me. I'll take my spits as well. View attachment 183258
That Baron looks pretty sexy in the yellow, Scout still looks great as well. The Baron looks like its all bank and yank, no rudder... I found the rudder to be unnecessary, they fly so well fast and its to much fun to not let off the throttle.

You found a flying field, did you meet someone who will bring you as a guest, or are you just gonna walk in? I find I meet some decent local people at the LHS. Its amazing the different perspectives of RC flight you find just by meeting the people. When I go to the LHS its usually for a purpose, being supplies, advice or help. But I have a habit of lingering just looking at stuff for a bit and meet some cool people to talk to. I have never had the need to exchange info to hook up for flying but the possibility is there, and I can see it being an easy place to do so.

Your purpose for the Scout seems to be the same I had for my last two twins, once the BA combat ship and the Seaduck. My last vid on the Seaduck was just over 50 landings on one battery. I have just over 20 batts on that one and well over a hundred landings on that, probably closer to one fifty. The previous twin wasnt meant to be a LG style plane but i saw the opportunity to do so and practiced a whack ton of wheel landings on it. Half its life was a belly lander, and the other half was wheels on. with just over 80 batts in that I could say there was around the same 150 on it.

I have snow now so the wheels are out, but the Duck will get a lot of attention, and maybe a bigger Duck in the near future. I ordered a couple of Sunnysky 2216 1400kv's and 50 amp Skywalker ESCs to match, run on 4s with 9x6 props... it will be a killer for power. The one I have now is an 85% scale down with the 2212 1400's on 8x45 props and it rips on 4s, just using 30 amp ESC's it gets close, around 26 amps. it too has a straight wing, no dihedral, and it flies just like the Baron for stability, a real point and shoot kind of flying. I find it fun.

Marty72

Elite member
That Baron looks pretty sexy in the yellow, Scout still looks great as well. The Baron looks like its all bank and yank, no rudder... I found the rudder to be unnecessary, they fly so well fast and its to much fun to not let off the throttle.
No rudder

Two fields near me, one 30 minutes away, the other 40 minutes. I joined the 30 minute away club last Spring, don't care for the site much, the landing strip is hard and bumpy. I want to check out the other site, they say I can guest fly twice if I have an AMA license (and I do). My plans have change, maybe next weekend I'll check it out. Where I fly the most, is near, but I don't know how long it's going to be available due to all the construction. I love the convenience of this site, It's 6 minutes away, and it's my way to or from anywhere I go. I drive past it all the time, so I can fly one or two batteries or stay out there if conditions are great for a couple of hours. I'm really going to miss this site when it's gone. It's going to be a strip mall, with a major road and a bridge. I'm flying off of an elevated point, which is really cool, the plane can be 100 feet above the ground and but I'm look out more horizontal than up. I've really gotten spoiled with this.

The Duck sounds pretty cool. You've got a great big open place to fly and it is convenient.

I tuned up the Bloody Baron after yesterday's flight, tuned down the aileron and turned up the elevator. I've got a new set of rates (lo,med, hi) to try out next time. I really like Yellow planes in the air, I seem to have less orientation issues with the yellow, black, white planes. The red is great too. Zero issues yesterday with orientation, and with a plane that is as maneuverable as this one is, that's awesome.

DJ369

Just thought i would post some info on my first bloody baron build.
I ordered the kit and it arrive bent and a little crushed, shout out to the USPS.
So i used a locally sourced foam board, from hobby lobby...Yes i know its heavier

my setup is a 1400kv motor, 50 amp esc, 9gram metal gear servos using a 4s 2200mah batttery, it balanced pretty good at 2 5/16
weight w/o batery is 23oz

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Just thought i would post some info on my first bloody baron build.
I ordered the kit and it arrive bent and a little crushed, shout out to the USPS.
So i used a locally sourced foam board, from hobby lobby...Yes i know its heavier

my setup is a 1400kv motor, 50 amp esc, 9gram metal gear servos using a 4s 2200mah batttery, it balanced pretty good at 2 5/16
weight w/o batery is 23oz
If your Flite Test kit was damaged in shipping, email support@flitetest.com and they will make it right.

JFC24

My BB Mk.I survived its maiden with comparatively little road rash. That said, it was very pitchy and wanted to climb anytime power was above half throttle. Even with a throttle/elv mix of 16%.

Gains set to 60% and expo to 30.

Anything else to do that makes it a bit more docile to fly? I wouldn’t expect a Hershey bar wing to react the way it did.

Attachments

• IMG_7885.jpeg
    IMG_7885.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7891.jpeg
    IMG_7891.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
My BB Mk.I survived its maiden with comparatively little road rash. That said, it was very pitchy and wanted to climb anytime power was above half throttle. Even with a throttle/elv mix of 16%.

Gains set to 60% and expo to 30.

Anything else to do that makes it a bit more docile to fly? I wouldn’t expect a Hershey bar wing to react the way it did.
You might try a little down thrust, put a small washer behind the top of the motor so it angles down.

JFC24

You might try a little down thrust, put a small washer behind the top of the motor so it angles down.
I put three small washers behind the top fastener and it completely charged the handling characteristics.

It’s much more fun to fly now.