Bloody Baron - Build

MSmethers

Mystery parts in accessory bag.

Building up my Bloody Baron I found in the accessory bag these two foam board wedges. The dimensions seen are inches. My SBK is of the water resistant board, so must be universal between the two. No reference to them in any video, or thread I've found. Admittedly, I only read about 60% of this one.

Any guesses?
Thanks
Marshal

Unknown B Baron Wedges.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Building up my Bloody Baron I found in the accessory bag these two foam board wedges. The dimensions seen are inches. My SBK is of the water resistant board, so must be universal between the two. No reference to them in any video, or thread I've found. Admittedly, I only read about 60% of this one.

Any guesses?
Thanks
Marshal

I did ask josh to include a throw setup gauge in the SBK's, but that's not what you have pictured there. I can tell you that they are not part of the airframe.

jellidawg

I did ask josh to include a throw setup gauge in the SBK's, but that's not what you have pictured there. I can tell you that they are not part of the airframe.

Are those the triangle squares that they put in to help true up glue joints?

ducksoup

Sponz,
One of the things I've never liked about swappables is the open end of the wing. Juse males them look unfinished. It looks like you've addressed that on the Bloody Baron. Did you bevel the ends from top to bottom and then cover them? Could you elaborate on that a little. I really love that design and it will be my next build.

Greenjeans

Sponz,
One of the things I've never liked about swappables is the open end of the wing. Just makes them look unfinished.
Did you bevel the ends from top to bottom and then cover them?

2 Weeks and no replies? I’ll give it a shot...

It just looks that way. This is built the same way as the other swappables. No one seems to ever take a photo looking down the wing from under the wingtip. Take look at posts #49 and #90; they show the underside but the open end is still not very clear. You could always try to create your own wing “rib” shape to close that spot - tagboard or foam whittled away to fit your wing’s airfoil shape. I think the rest of the tip area is open since the curve helps to prevent tip stalls and dropping a wing. I’m having a brainfart and can’t recall the name for that type of foil; cambered?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz,
One of the things I've never liked about swappables is the open end of the wing. Juse males them look unfinished. It looks like you've addressed that on the Bloody Baron. Did you bevel the ends from top to bottom and then cover them? Could you elaborate on that a little. I really love that design and it will be my next build.

The Bloody Baron has undercambered wing tips similar to many of the other Flite Test designs. Adding the undercamber to the wing tips improves the low speed stall characteristics, but also increases drag and reduces the top speed. It's a trade-off.

mrwis@yahoo.com

Finally got out to madien the baron this weekend. Ran 4 batteries through it. Flew great. I used a 3s 2200 with a suppo 2217/7 1250kv with an apc 9x4.7 sf. It was a bit slow so i think i may try a 8x6 e. Last landing broke the 9x4.7 so i need to change anyways.

I'm going to ffest. Looking forward to meeing Dan and all the other folks. This plane is going along.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
FoamyDM Fleet

I just built this. Yellow and White too. I am not in the Brit vs. Baron running, so I am making this part of the FoamyDM Fleet. Once I get my printer moving, I will be able to get this Fleet Emblem attached and the electronics in and ready for a weekend maiden. I'll post a pic in a few nights.

this was so much fun and easy to build. I trust it will be just as much fun to fly/crash.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Here are the promised pictures. I'm looking forward to the maiden.
IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0770.JPG IMG_0771.JPG IMG_0772.JPG IMG_0773.JPG
Any flying tips?

CaptBill

Finally got out to madien the baron this weekend. Ran 4 batteries through it. Flew great. I used a 3s 2200 with a suppo 2217/7 1250kv with an apc 9x4.7 sf. It was a bit slow so i think i may try a 8x6 e. Last landing broke the 9x4.7 so i need to change anyways.

I'm going to ffest. Looking forward to meeing Dan and all the other folks. This plane is going along.

Is that a Bushwacker with an alt tail design next to it?

Batteryman

Having had a run of bad luck building a Speedkit of the SE5a I decided to give the Bloody baron a go, but using the plans to cut all the pieces and do it myself.

I bought 5mm foam from http://www.foam-board.co.uk/
and also treated myself to a couple of the foamwerks tools. They proved to help make a nice job, but a sharp craft knife was just as useful.
http://www.foam-board.co.uk/foamwerks-foamboard-cutters/

The build was pretty quick with only a couple of issues. Firstly the firewall on the plan I downloaded doesn’t match the one in the Youtube build, it isn’t tall enough to take the two locating holes for the skewers, and the foamboard I purchaded is possibly rather heavier than the stuff the designer used, mine came out tail heavy despite being very careful during the build with glue etc. I moved the wing backward about 3mm when I glued it on, and that seems to have helped balance it nicely with a 2200 3 cell pack. I don't think I could balance it with a 1300 3 cell pack.

Batteryman

Maidened the plane today, it flew great, but somewhat quicker and twitchier than I expected, so the first minute or so I don't think I breathed out or blinked! Despite setting the throws quite small and 30% expo.

It needs a bit of trim here and there, but my Turnigy TGY-I6S isn't really any good for inflight trim, need to buy a better TX soon.

I have a question.

I used a NTM prop Drive 28-26A 1200kv motor with a Aerostar 8 x 6 prop. I also have some TGS 9 x 4.7E props, does anyone know what difference it would make. I have been using a 3 cell 2200 battery. Any comments/help appreciated.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Maidened the plane today, it flew great, but somewhat quicker and twitchier than I expected, so the first minute or so I don't think I breathed out or blinked! Despite setting the throws quite small and 30% expo.

It needs a bit of trim here and there, but my Turnigy TGY-I6S isn't really any good for inflight trim, need to buy a better TX soon.

I have a question.

I used a NTM prop Drive 28-26A 1200kv motor with a Aerostar 8 x 6 prop. I also have some TGS 9 x 4.7E props, does anyone know what difference it would make. I have been using a 3 cell 2200 battery. Any comments/help appreciated.

Yep - that sounds like the Bloody Baron flight experience all right! :applause:

I don't think you'll see too much performance difference at the sticks with going up on size but down on pitch at the same time - those are sort of moving in opposite directions from a power generation perspective. I'm sure there will be a difference in thrust and power consumption, but my google-fu is letting me down right now on finding motor test data for that specific setup.

Batteryman

Thankyou for the reply.

I am a bit new to understanding the prop/motor relationship, but of course I forgot that the 9x4.7 was indeed a smaller pitch. Asking about comparing a 9x6 and a 8x6 would have been a more relevant question.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Basically speaking, going up in diameter or up in pitch while keeping all other things equal will give you more thrust, and more amperage draw from your esc/battery. Too much draw and you'll let me magic smoke out of the esc, which is bad. :)

There is a pretty good quide to propeller considerations oriented towards electric motors at http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/propeller-size.html

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Basically speaking, going up in diameter or up in pitch while keeping all other things equal will give you more thrust, and more amperage draw from your esc/battery. Too much draw and you'll let me magic smoke out of the esc, which is bad. :)

There is a pretty good quide to propeller considerations oriented towards electric motors at http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/propeller-size.html

Following up on this, I frequently see prop data where the motor will turn a bigger diameter prop on a 2 cell, and then a smaller diameter prop at higher rpm with the 3 cell Lipo. Question: Will the bigger prop deliver more torque and thus more "scale-like" performance even though the battery is weaker?