"Bug" DLG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I appreciate the info, and although "free" is a great price I'm happy to pay-to-play as necessary. The Bug and MiMi are both of interest, it's just a matter of doing some more research to see how to proceed. I'm also throwing into the mix the DLG-50 and QF from Mountain Models and the Hobby King version if I decide to just buy and not build!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I appreciate the info, and although "free" is a great price I'm happy to pay-to-play as necessary. The Bug and MiMi are both of interest, it's just a matter of doing some more research to see how to proceed. I'm also throwing into the mix the DLG-50 and QF from Mountain Models and the Hobby King version if I decide to just buy and not build!

Based on my research, the MiMi would be the highest performer of those listed. I'm inclined to think that it's superior even to the Apogee (but not the Elf, of course).

A word of warning about balsa DLG's, now that I've learned a hard lesson: All-balsa pods are unacceptable. Even with a little 150 mah Lipo in the nose, enough good throws caused my pod to eventually let go...ejected the battery (which flew a tremendous distance...spent a long time looking for it) and then the out of control airplane made a huge half-loop with the expected level of carnage. So...don't be like me. Glass your pod!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
A word of warning about balsa DLG's, now that I've learned a hard lesson: All-balsa pods are unacceptable. Even with a little 150 mah Lipo in the nose, enough good throws caused my pod to eventually let go...ejected the battery (which flew a tremendous distance...spent a long time looking for it) and then the out of control airplane made a huge half-loop with the expected level of carnage. So...don't be like me. Glass your pod!

Hmmm . . . sounds like I missed quite a show last night . . .

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Dan, yeah, you did miss a show...

And since I like having a DLG on hand, this has been coming together for some time. Eventually I'll rebuild the original fuselage and this wing will go back to it, with a more efficient one coming together, but in the meantime, I'm going to have a bug wing on an Apogee-style fuselage. I went a little narrow on it, and the fit is rather tight. I'll have to see about hollowing out some more material, but at least it does all fit (barely). Tail surfaces tomorrow, and then I can fly it. :D

Bug_15.jpg

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I'll see about taking photos tonight, but suffice it to say that my original Bug fuse got a facelift after radio interference shot down my newly electrified Filip V. Yep, stuck a little Cyclon BL on the front of it and slapped a 6x3 on that. It came out nose heavy, by 5g of lead on the vertical stab put me back at 30% of root chord. The electronics bay is a very, very tight fit with 150 mah 2s, Hobby People micro rx, and 10 A esc, but it all manages to get in there somehow. Took it to the field with a little up trim preset, and off it went perfect as could be.

With unlimited vertical.

It still glides, somehow. Apparently I built a hotliner without trying. In spite of the tiny battery, I was still above 8 V after about 5 minutes of buzzing around along with a few full throttle runs. Despite having no ailerons and significant dihedral, it does inverted pretty well and performs the prettiest of barrel rolls.

I'm happy, at least until I figure out how to repair the Filip's wing spar.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
PM me your email address and I'll send you the packet of plans I have, as there are several versions.

Several things are worthy of note to the general public:
1. The stock fuselage pod needs to be glassed or otherwise reinforced lest it explode on a hard launch.
2. The Drela fuselage design is much cleaner, and if pair with a lighter boom, gives much better glide performance.
3. This wing airfoil really responds to light wingloadings. There is a noticeable improvement in L/D at lighter loadings.
4. The 1/8" cf boom in the initial iteration of the Drela fuselage is entirely unsafe. During the very first flying session using that boom, I noted two things: the model got very high, but there was a lot of boom flex. Second, the boom fatigued and made a spectacular "bang" as it splintered apart on about the 20th launch. It has been replaced with a tapered boom going from 1/4" down to 1/8", which is much, much better and doesnt' weigh significantly more. No more explosions!

paulshort

I have built 2 bug DLGs and am planning on building a third one. But I want a bigger glider and I want it to have ailerons. What do you guys think about a 120% or similar size bug with ailerons? The reason that I want it to be bigger is so I can get longer flight times

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Paul, got your PM, but this needs to be answered in public since it's a common question.

1. Rather than blowing up the plans for the Bug, build a Lightnin' Bug, which is a 34" version with some refinements. I'd still recommend moving away from the Bug pod design, though, in favor of pairing it with the pod for Mark Drela's Apogee 36 (plans available at the Charles River RC website). I built mine with a removable hatch so that I could get to the battery comparement.
2. Ailerons are a good idea if you have a place to put the servos, if the servos are light enough, and if you design them correctly. It will involve a significant modification to the wing, but is well worth it. I'd use the lightweight servos from Hobbyking, no more than 4 g each. Weight is a major issue here, especially with the extra structure you're already putting in for the ailerons.

paulshort

I have already built two lightninbugs and I have not got very good performance out of them because I used five gram servos and I used carbon rod in the wing so I am going to build another one with 3.7 gram servos and build it as light as I can I want it to have ailerons because when I'm slope soaring tail controls aren't enough on a downwind turn.

paulshort

Hi there. Got the plans on email thanks. I am going to build the bug wing on an apogee fuse but have no idea how to build it or what to build it out of. how does the regular apogee compare to the bug?

Paul

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Paul,

First off, Charles River R/C has some more details: http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/apogeehlg/markdrela_apogeehlg.htm
The information is dated, but useful. When it comes to making that fuselage, you just start cutting wood to about the right size and cut and sand until it's right. I didn't do the tapering in width that Drela did. The fuselage sides are 1/8", and the core is 4 layers of 1/8". I hollowed out bits of the 1/8" sides to clear the servo arms. Basically you cut out your fuselage sizes, having laid out your electronics together to ensure everything will fit, extending the nose as necessary, and then build up the core on one of the sides. The boom gets installed when you have two layers of 1/8" core material in place, then you build up the rest on top of that and glue on the other side. The wing leading edge pin is supported by some plywood (I just used 1/32").

I can't compare a pure Apogee to the bug other than to say it's probably better, but you have to update it to a cruciform tail unless you're purely doing slope soaring. If you're only going to slope soar with it, go all the way and make a balsa Apogee 36 wing with ailerons, as it's a cleaner setup. Otherwise build a built-up wing, as it'll give you the lower sink rate. Regardless, I do know that the Bug likes really low wingloadings. My Apogee fuselage came out about 10 g lighter than the stock one, mainly because of lighter tail surfaces and a lighter boom. It's not all aerodynamics, but the model does launch higher, which is a function of aerodynamics, so the Apogee fuselage is definitely better (and stronger). Basically you want to use the lightest balsa you can find for the tail surfaces, and the boom needs to be made from the good stuff if possible. Thin wall 3/16" CF tube minimum. Don't use smaller diameters--they will explode spectacularly after a few hard throws, and in the process the wing gets ripped from its mounts from the side loading and lots of pieces go flying about.

If you're not happy with the LightninBug, it's time to consider a different airplane. Go on RCgroups and look up the Mimi. It is in all honesty a much better airplane anyway, but there is a little more effort required. You'll have to email the designer to get the plans, as he for whatever reason doesn't like to have them out there for download (they are free at least). Anyway, it's not any harder to build than a Bug (probably easier, actually), just takes more sanding and more wood. I don't know the details, but some well known competitor used one to beat a bunch of Elf's a while back, which is a major achievement and speaks to the capabilities of the design. A number of folks have built them with ailerons too, so it pays to spend the time to go through then voluminous Mimi thread on RCgroups--you'll get to see a huge number of mods made to the design. Most folks are building them to 180 g or so, and it's a capable flier out to 230+. If you've got good wood and some fiberglass to secure the high stress areas, it can be built down to 120 or so, at which point it's basically an Elf without the nasty effects of excessive wing taper or the gaping hole left in your wallet.

Last edited:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I realized I'd never gotten around to posting photos of the completed Apogee Bug. So...here it is: DSC05179.JPG DSC05181.JPG

It turned out rather well and flies well in very tight spaces. You have to keep the airspeed up, though. Get too slow and the sink rate really rises. It yanks and banks nicely, but the sink rate really goes up in tight turns. Still, it's great in small spaces. I can fly it in a front yard or the like without trouble.

Perhaps I'll build a better wing for it sometime. It gives me the distinct impression that the wing taper and airfoil are really sub-optimal. Very forgiving, though, so if you're a first timer to DLG, it's the right combination. I've crashed it a few times, even on pavement (that's called doing stuff you shouldn't be doing, like doing a loop with trees all around), and only minor repairs have been required.

It also breaks down into a really small package for storage. The little plywood wing saddle keeps things nice and steady. It will, however, break off in a hard arrival.
DSC05182.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That's very nice looking, with the natural color of the balsa, the CF, and white film. Kind of the "back to the basics" feel to it, not adding anything that isn't necessary.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Actually I was using a 2s 150 from Eflite with an adapter wired into it so I could connect directly to the receiver (Orange units don't require a BEC with a 2s).

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I would love to get a bug. Where would i start?

You would start by sending me a private message with your email address and a request for the plans. ;)

Actually let's try this...
View attachment _BUGX-plan.pdf
View attachment _BugXr16.pdf
View attachment bugxtail.pdf
View attachment romp.pdf
View attachment vleugel2bug.pdf
View attachment vleugelbug.pdf

Edit: hey, it worked! I feel rather stupid now...thought I'd ready somewhere that you couldn't attach .pdf's in this forum. It would appear that I thought wrong. Ok folks, have fun!