Building tips for newbies: keep it light or...

MickRS

Hi there!
I'm new to this group and new to Flight Test planes, or foamies for that matter. Till now I fly my balsa glider and started my career as a RC pilot with an UMX glider. But as I was looking for a fun project, both building and flying, I came across the FT planes...

So I'm awaiting the Simple Scout speed kit. Also ordered the Power Pack B and some wheels. Have my own transmitter and receiver and now looking forward to put the plane together.
I've been reading a lot lately here and on RC Groups about building foam board planes to find out that all information is scattered all over the place. So my first question is: is there a thread somewhere where all the knowledge is gathered?

I've learned that building light is important, so some don't use hot glue everywhere, but only at the stressed areas. I can imagine thats where the wings are and the motor is... And what other glue to use in stead of hot glue?
Same about painting. No painting is lightest, but adding a nice look is also a good thing. Polythurane coat first sounds like a good idea, but also sounds like adding 'a lot of' weight. But adding several layers paint does that to. Whats best practise?

I know, a lot of questions, but I think I'm not the only one who wants to do some 'brain picking' from the experienced builders here... Any advise for this noob would be very much appreciated!

Bo123

Elite member
So about the thread with all info, there isn’t, so just ask! Thats what these forums are for. Welcome to the community!

MickRS

Thanks for the welcome!

It arrived Wednesday. So couldn't wait to start. Till now only used the hot glue. Thing comes together like a breeze. Only the pushrods in the fuselage took some swearing... But hey, a bit of effort is a good thing. :)

20220723_130844~2.jpg

Tench745

Master member
Hi there!
I've been reading a lot lately here and on RC Groups about building foam board planes to find out that all information is scattered all over the place. So my first question is: is there a thread somewhere where all the knowledge is gathered?

I've learned that building light is important, so some don't use hot glue everywhere, but only at the stressed areas. I can imagine thats where the wings are and the motor is... And what other glue to use in stead of hot glue?
Same about painting. No painting is lightest, but adding a nice look is also a good thing. Polythurane coat first sounds like a good idea, but also sounds like adding 'a lot of' weight. But adding several layers paint does that to. Whats best practise?

I know, a lot of questions, but I think I'm not the only one who wants to do some 'brain picking' from the experienced builders here... Any advise for this noob would be very much appreciated!

There are a number of threads with information on specific topics, but no one thread that has everything; partly because the information changes as the community learns, and partly because old threads get lost over time and new ones pop up for the same questions.

I, personally, like to use white gorilla glue on everything in order to save weight. It is at least as strong as hot glue and much lighter, but it also takes longer to set. I have also used Foam Cure from Bob Smith Industries for specific instances, but I don't fully trust it for gap-filling or structural purposes yet.

There are many ways people have added color to DTFB planes before. The easiest is probably hitting it with a couple light coats of spray paint. If you don't spray it on too heavily there is little other prep work necessary.
I have used printable transparent shipping labels to add details, and I have also used pin-striping tape and vinyl. There are different camps for painting foamboard models. You can get finer detail more easily if you paint before assembly, but the glues don't stick to the painted surface as well so it's a trade-off.
Another method not mentioned yet is using a printed skin. All the detail is printed on a seperate sheet of paper. You then remove the outer layer of paper on the foamboard and glue the printed "skin" in its place. I believe most people use a spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 for this. There are threads devoted to the process if you want to explore it further.

I did try coating one model with oil-based Minwax to increase waterproofness but wasn't thrilled with the results.

Quite some time ago I also tried a technique stolen from old tissue-covered models and coated it with ground up artist pastels. Video if you're interested.

I have little other experience with the various techniques, so hopefully others will chime in with their own thoughts.