Car Engine on plane?

liamnave

flyboy
So I have about a 100$ to spend on something, and I had the idea of building a giant, gas, 3D profile plane. I found this engine on HK, but, seeing as it is meant for a car, I was wondering if it would work on a plane. I know what it really comes down to how much power you get for the weight. I have never done anything larger then about 48" or any gas stuff, so If you could give me some advice I would be more then happy to hear it! https://hobbyking.com/en_us/eg-sport-18-two-stroke-glow-engine-for-car.html

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
To be honest I think you should stay with electric for now. Getting into glow requires different field equipment, a fuel tank, pump etc. $60-100 just won't cut it. Then you still need all the same electronics and a battery. Plus, glow fuel and foam don't play well together. Bigger planes need bigger budgets unfortunately.

Hill Top Flyer

Car??? engine on a plane...

Many years ago a man, Mira Slovack, put a Volkwagen (36 hp) engine on an airplane and flew from California to West Germany and back, just for the adventure, he said.

This is an example of a car engine on an airplane. Thought you might like that....Really interesting story, too.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hehe I believe he was referring to the RC nitro motors in cars and trucks. I did however think the same exact thing when I said to myself.. "This is a youngling what is he building that requires something like a Volkswagen motor"? then I saw the post and caught up.

Liam, Sean is correct. Getting into nitro motors or even the gassers is a HUGE step and a whole other learning curve that can end up far more expensive then the electric stuff is when mistakes are made. Just getting one past the break in stage if you have little or no experience can be a nightmare. Then there is that whole tuning process... think tuning an FC can be a pain.. hehe Then add in all the extra gear you have to have. Lots of fuel, a pumping method, for planes that means an electric starter and heavy expensive batteries. It takes a good 20 minutes just to un pack the car at the field and carry it to your pit area. Its a definite love for the hobby when you make that switch.

liamnave

flyboy
Ya, I got a balsa kit instead, and that's been pretty fun to build so far. But I still haven't decided whether I'm gonna do gas or electric:confused:

jblaven

Many years ago a man, Mira Slovack, put a Volkwagen (36 hp) engine on an airplane and flew from California to West Germany and back, just for the adventure, he said.

This is an example of a car engine on an airplane. Thought you might like that....Really interesting story, too.

Wow, that's cool. It made me think of the book, Flight of Passage. A fun read for any "kid at heart" who loves aviation.

Bricks

Master member
I fly electric Nitro and gas it is not as bad as some make it out. Small planes electric is best for larger planes nitro and gas are for me a no brainer start buying 6s 5200 mah batteries at over $100 bucks a pop and the larger chargers to charge these in a reasonable time plus lugging around a 12 volt battery or generator to run the charger.

I have 2 Great Planes Reactors one battery powered and one Evolution 10cc gasser the gasser fill the tank 6 ounces fly for 20 plus minutes land and refuel back in the air in less then ten minutes roughly total cost of fuel for better then an hour of flying less then $1.34. My battery Reactor it takes 6S 5200mah battery charge time with my set up is roughly 30 minutes I have 2 6S batteries which last roughly 9 minutes of hard flying and then down time waiting for battery to charge. How many charge cycles will the batteries take before I need to replace them at $100+. Where my Evolution 10CC should run for the next 20 years if taken care of for less then the cost of the electric motor and ESC for the Reactor.