Catfish

dgrigor02

Done. First attempt at a hatch, hard to get seams to look right. I don't know how others make it look so good.

This was your original plans scaled down the 70% so the wing is not your 28" version.

attachment.php

Last edited:

dgrigor02

That was one of the hardest maidens I've had to do. It took 4 tries ( and 4 props ) to get it in the air more than a few seconds. Crushed the pod and the wing tips in the meantime. Hand tossing ( no landing gear ) it wanted to dive before I could get my hands back on the transmitter, once I did overcorrected and history. Last try underhanded instead was able to get it up.

Once finally airborne, It really wanted to dive and had to keep pretty constant up elevator, even just a second and it going straight down. I had put down thrust in the pod ( 1 foam thickness ) like I do most all smaller planes. I'm thinking this plane doesn't need any down thrust at 70% scale and perhaps nose heavy.

Windier than I wanted but with 1000mah battery in it, it could cut through pretty easily.

Hatch flew off right away. Will need to put magnets on it. Was hoping not too.

I did get a full battery through it despite the downward tendancies. Really sporty with 2204 3s and 6045 prop nice and responsive even with throws set way down. Once dialed in I'm sure to have fun with it.

Looks great in the air. Both the colors and shape.

3rd flight. No downthrust just right thrust of a minipod. Hatch falls off so I just left it off until secure it better. Still need to lower the rates on the elevator. Camera video did a terrible job keeping focused but should at least get an idea. Plenty zippy for the sized park, I personally wouldn't want it to go any faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRvTfMP1Wpk

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Thank you for sharing the video. I am sorry to hear you had a hard time initially. I am glad that you got it sorted out.

There should be no need for down thrust. Being a low wing plane with the motor mounted that high, it is pretty neutral. The low mounting of the horizontal stabilizer, the height of the vertical stabilizer and the dihedral in the wing bring the thrust and drag lines close to tangent. Keeping the motor in line with the top plate lets this plane track nice and true during high speed passes.

I hope you are able to enjoy this plane. I really enjoyed flying both the original size and the 28" version.

Thanks again for giving it a try and sharing the video.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Here is an easy hatch method that does not use magnets.

A piece of pushrod, popsicle stick (or BBQ skewer), coffee stirrer, and a small rubber band. Just a little hot glue.

DSC01970.JPG DSC01971.JPG DSC01972.JPG DSC01973.JPG DSC01974.JPG DSC01975.JPG DSC01976.JPG

dgrigor02

Kaos and others have a symetrical wing. Would this be a candidate to give a symetrical a try ? I've never attempted that style wing yet. Really have my eye on giving the kaos a try that you posted in summer if not a good fit for this one.

Still need to tone down the elvetor as it doesn't take much at all. Get more comfortable with it I'll throw a 4s battery on it for fun.

LEDs didn't work out, one side of the wing shorted out and I wasn't thinking and the light doesn't shine through the black so need to come up with another color scheme for when thia one needs replaced.

I have lots more 1804,1806,2204,2206 motors than I do the power pack B or C so I like to stick with 800mm ish sized and around 300grams. I have yet to try a racing 2206 2300kv that I bought on a whim. Likely the 40" kaos is too big for it but maybe downsize it to use the 800mm pod and try one of my existing motors.

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I am not sure if Catfish would be a good candidate for a symmetrical wing. That might smooth out any ballooning from throttle increase. It does kind of already fly like the older pattern planes.

Here is a plane that you could experiment with if you were up to it. I have flown a flat bottom, under cambered wing on this one with blue wonder and larger motors. This would be a quick and easy way to play with a symmetrical wing.

Puffer Symetrical Wing.png

Given that you have a 2206, you could use a 6x3 prop easily and that should fly this one pretty well. But, it is experimental because I have not proofed this one yet.

If you decide to build this, you will have to work out the aileron servo placement. You could adjust the nose to fit whatever firewall you want to use, but it is set up to use a 1"x1" piece, glued to the nose and covered in a piece of tape.

Here are the plans.

View attachment Puffer Symetrical Wings.pdf

Given that the fuselage is curved and symmetrical, the score cuts are just to facilitate joining. Start from the tail and work forward when constructing the fuselage. Mark the slots, but don't cut them out till after construction (I do that by score cutting and leaving in place till constructed). Let me know if you have any questions.

dgrigor02

Thanks for the hatch mod. Worked perfectly. Fly #4 and #5. Getting really comfortable with the plane now and got all the throws right were I want them. It looks pretty darn good in the air too. 800m Spitfire is alot of fun but from pure performance this one beats it.

Really nice size at 28" and the 1000mah and 2204 make it heavy enough handled the 12-5mph winds no problem.

Big thumbs up from here :applause:

Started working on the symetrical puffer.

Last edited:

dgrigor02

Still having a great time with this plane. Running 2204 4S now and getting more comfortable with the rudder. Tips on the wings are starting to get pretty crumpled but still flys straight with a little trim here or there. Pretty mean looking plane up in the air. Is this such thing as a killer catfish ?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I am glad you are enjoying the plane.

If the wing tips get too flimsy, they can be stiffened up with BBQ skewers. Either along the under camber leading edge stuck into the leading edge fold. Or, stuck through the foam of the top plate from tip to center.

dgrigor02

I clipped the wing for grins since they both were getting pretty ragged. Just to see what would happened. I was doing okay but didn't have sunglasses on and lost it in the sun by the time I got oriented it was too late. Nose dive.

attachment.php

I really like this plane in all aspects, looks mean in the air, zippy and tracks very nicely.

So version 2 is on the way. Same size ( 28" wingspan ) using the same templates ( original plans sized at 70% ). Color scheme changed just for fun and will sport a I-power 2206 2300Kv, 4S 1000mah battery, 5X4.5 prop. I believe I had more right thrust than necessary on the first one so I'll probably try just straight see what happens then add a little right thrust if necessary.

attachment.php

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
That looks pretty cool. Glad you like it. Hope you keep enjoying it.

I will build another one soon. This and the PT19 will be a mainstay in my hangar.

dgrigor02

Yeah, I still fly the pt-19 at least 3 times a week. So easy to fly and land that it's going to last a while before getting too damaged. It sees more damage getting in out of the trunk then it does at the park.

Its so floaty that its fun. I get it as high as I can and still see it, cut the motor and glides for several laps around the park. Still sporty enough too when you want it to be.

I built MikeRoby's Hurricane and has similiar wing design but isn't near as floaty for some reason. So while I like it, not as unique of flying characteristics as the pt-19.

Last edited: