Caudron C.460

micro_builder

Been wanting to build one of these for quite a long time, so I figured what the heck. I havent done a stick and tissue type build like this in a really long time, and have forgotten most of what I did know (which wasnt much to begin with), so this should prove interesting, or at least amusing, as I dont really know what I'm doing...but I'm good at faking it! lol

Working off a 3-view drawing I found online, that I reworked in CorelDraw...my plans rarely come out complete, and always end up adding things here and there as I go. Trying to take my time with it, as I tend to rush things, but my plan is to sheet the exterior with strips of 1/32" balsa rather than tissue, then stain and clear coat it, in hopes that it'll look like something Chris Craft boats may have built. No idea if that'll work out! Will have an 18" span.

Anyway, havent gotten a lot done as of yet, only half the fuselage, but the wings should go quicker. Havent really decided on electronics yet either, the little kid in me wants to make it fast, but the adult in me wants it to fly somewhat scale. So with that in mind, I've added a few extra bits here and there to the fuselage to help keep it stiff, just in case it ends up with a 3S lipo in its belly.

Nick

06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg

She's a sleek one
ImageTwo.jpg
side-view-of-blue.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This is going to be AWESOME! :applause:

From a flying perspective (I learned this from a forum member who built one following very close to scale a few years back and confirmed his findings) the tail surfaces need to be a bit larger as she gets smaller - otherwise it was very erratic in flight. I went about 20% increase on my foam board design, and it worked well at the 33" and 34" wingspan sizes.

Also might consider doing slightly larger than scale wings too - these stubby wings don't have a lot of lift when it gets scaled down. Even with a little increase on the surfaces, it still keeps that sleek racer look :)

micro_builder

Thanks! And I sure hope so...if it looks even somewhat close to what it does in my mind, should be a neat little thing.

Yeah I may increase the vertical stabilizer/rudder area, does look a bit small, horizontal stab/elevator should be ok, but I may increase it just for the sake of it. I measured out the wing area, should have around 45 square inches...I've always aimed for a 1 gram/1 square inch ratio for backyard flyers, and if I keep it to 2S, I should be able to hit that, but I'm not sure how much weight the wood strip covering will add. May just increase the wingtip size a bit, tip stall crashes are rough on balsa wings!

Nick

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hey micro_builder, where did this end up? did it get completed?

Not sure if this one got completed but @rockyboy designed an AWESOME one in foam for the FFO2017 air races. GO TEAM ROCKYBOY!! There is a great journey of that evolution posted here.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ff2017-int-racers-caudron-c-460.29316/

This was my contribution to the team. I was trying to go for the "Pretty parts" portion of the competition but it was not held due to all the rains n such. All done from @rockyboy plans and build notes with some slight modifications of my own.

in primer.
IMG_0289.JPG

Finish paint.
IMG_0295.JPG

Theres other pics with the motor and chromed out (aka wrapped in aluminum foil) radiator but I cant seem to find those.

@rockyboy build is more like the original racer in the traditional blue livery with tail numbers n all. you'll see that in his thread.

cyclone3350

Master member
Been wanting to build one of these for quite a long time, so I figured what the heck. I havent done a stick and tissue type build like this in a really long time, and have forgotten most of what I did know (which wasnt much to begin with), so this should prove interesting, or at least amusing, as I dont really know what I'm doing...but I'm good at faking it! lol

Working off a 3-view drawing I found online, that I reworked in CorelDraw...my plans rarely come out complete, and always end up adding things here and there as I go. Trying to take my time with it, as I tend to rush things, but my plan is to sheet the exterior with strips of 1/32" balsa rather than tissue, then stain and clear coat it, in hopes that it'll look like something Chris Craft boats may have built. No idea if that'll work out! Will have an 18" span.

Anyway, havent gotten a lot done as of yet, only half the fuselage, but the wings should go quicker. Havent really decided on electronics yet either, the little kid in me wants to make it fast, but the adult in me wants it to fly somewhat scale. So with that in mind, I've added a few extra bits here and there to the fuselage to help keep it stiff, just in case it ends up with a 3S lipo in its belly.

Nick

View attachment 89980
View attachment 89981
View attachment 89982
View attachment 89983
View attachment 89984

She's a sleek one
View attachment 89985
View attachment 89986

Scratch building from your own plans. Looks like you know what U R doing to me.

micro_builder

hey micro_builder, where did this end up? did it get completed?

This project is STILL sitting unfinished on the back of my bench, mocking me lol I got stuck at one point and wasnt sure how to proceed, and then the procrastination happened...I'll probably end up building a micro version before I finish this one...

Not sure if this one got completed but @rockyboy designed an AWESOME one in foam for the FFO2017 air races. GO TEAM ROCKYBOY!! There is a great journey of that evolution posted here.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ff2017-int-racers-caudron-c-460.29316/

This was my contribution to the team. I was trying to go for the "Pretty parts" portion of the competition but it was not held due to all the rains n such. All done from @rockyboy plans and build notes with some slight modifications of my own

Theres other pics with the motor and chromed out (aka wrapped in aluminum foil) radiator but I cant seem to find those.

@rockyboy build is more like the original racer in the traditional blue livery with tail numbers n all. you'll see that in his thread.

Nicely done!

Scratch building from your own plans. Looks like you know what U R doing to me.

Thanks, though admittedly, I've never been too good at stick and tissue builds...hence the 4 year build here lol

Marzipan

This project is STILL sitting unfinished on the back of my bench, mocking me lol I got stuck at one point and wasnt sure how to proceed, and then the procrastination happened...I'll probably end up building a micro version before I finish this one...

does it look the same as the photos above or had more work been done after but before you were side tracked?

if more was done, photo share / update?