Cheap Aerial Photography Drone?

Trident_RC

Hi. I am looking in to making a multi-rotor that can shoot aerial photography, but still be cheap and portable. I would prefer it to be less than $175 as I am not made of money. I also already have a Hobbyking transmitter,receiver and a GoPro. Another question is could I use the gopro app to do FPV? What good, cheap frames are out there?
Thanks.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
for that budget you are going to be pushing it. the best bet is to start with an electrohub and just run the gopro with out fpv to start

N4PJ

Cheap Aerial Photography Drone

After my own searching/researching, I think "cheap aerial photography drone" is either an oxymoron or a contradiction!

If you use the GoPro as a camera, you're almost forced to also use a gimbal mount. Otherwise, virtually every little twitch of your drone (turning, stopping, starting, the flight board reacting to a puff of wind, etc.) will create the infamous "jello" effect.

My personal experience is that the GoPro (without a gimbal) will work fairly well in almost calm conditions and very slooooooow movements.

My opinion (and I'm a hobbyist, not a professional) is that you essentially *must* have a gimbal mounted camera. The weight of the camera, the gimbal and a battery system large enough to provide reasonable flight time all conspire to require a reasonably large frame - relatively speaking.

What's that old joke that applies to so many areas - small, cheap and efficient - choose any two!

Good luck. Seriously.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think it all depends on what you mean by aerial photography. If you're looking for something that can compete with the pros who fly rigs that cost as much as a used car, it would be hard to compete for under 200. There is a reason why they fly those vs a $100 fpv250 Miniquad.

If you're looking for some fun aerial shots for a different perspective to show friends and family, you can probably get great results from a $100 quad and a $50 camera.