Combat Wing III for FF24

Pieliker96

Elite member
2022's Wing
2023's Wing

Now it's time for 2024.

Proposed design revisions:
1. Bigger batteries and more efficient aero (higher AR, more streamlining) for more endurance. Target is 20 minutes.
2. Bigger overall size, more overall weight, more inertia to be less affected by collisions.
3. Make liberal use of composites for strength, ditch protruding nose for impact/crashworthiness.
4. Move to a contra-rotating setup, both props in the same slot, for more thrust and noise, possibly some engine-out capability.
5. Ditch dead weight of the lighting system.
6. Increase snag-and-drop parachute size to have a bigger effect on captured targets. Move to two tow lines for double the capture capability.
7. Get a RX with signal diversity to hopefully stop the dropout issues. Possibly change protocols.
8. Removable wings for transport.
9. Bring spare parts and stock to Flite Fest for on-site repairs.

1709439026745.png 1709439052421.png

The basic weight and balance is done, as is the planform. Projected weight is 3.4kg which with a wing area of 1088in^2 is a WCL of 5.77. The TWR should be the same if the thrust scales linearly with two motors. If contrarotation makes it more or less efficient, the TWR will be affected accordingly. I'm planning to keep the same prop from last year's setup on top, then vary the lower prop while testing for maximum static thrust.

Hoping for some good combat action this year.

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Based on my combat, being able to spread the impact forces was more important than avoiding a spar failure, particularly when hit off center. Overkill doesn't do much for that. I like I beam spars for that reason. Not wild about the outboard spar joints but YMMV. An accidental hit in the center will probably take out all your thrust

Last edited:

Pieliker96

Elite member
Based on my combat, being able to spread the impact forces was more important than avoiding a spar failure, particularly when hit off center. Overkill doesn't do much for that. I like I beam spars for that reason. Not wild about the outboard spar joints but YMMV. An accidental hit in the center will probably take out all your thrust
Ideally I would just do hotwire foam core with fiberglass or carbon skin though I don't currently have the manufacturing capabilities. I agree with regards to the outboard spar joints, I ended up carrying them inboard to the wing to center wing join after staring at it for a bit. The fore and aft spars are carbon fiber tubes embedded in foam, the angled spars are just foam. I also have a CF rod along the leading edge, planning to do TE stripping as well.

1710645420435.png

I've made sure the motors and such are better tied into the structure this time. Last year a hit with a 200% FT scout ejected the motor, gopro, and batteries. The motors will be attached to the fore and aft spars by 3d printed blocks, and the straps for the battery and gopro will also wrap around CF tubes that integrate with the rest of the structure. In any case, I think it should be more impact/crashworthy than last year's design

20230624_113904.jpg

Last edited:

Crow929

I like that motor placement design, not sure I've seen a setup with two counterrotating props in one slot. Should sound wild!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If you have seen the spider in combat before, He will be flying wings this year too. Hopefully with an ejection system in case his bird get's taken out!

Piotrsko

Master member
Why wouldn't you replicate a combat zagi 5 spar using arrow shafts? Back in the day that was the toughest thing around, might still be. Tales of one being run over by a parcel truck and immediately flying afterwards. Unsure if you can do the motor as strong as your design.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ohhhh MAN, If I didn't have enough to finish up before FF'24, I would LOVE to print one of these buggers!

I'd like to see some brutal impacts of 3D printed flyers for one thing. 2, this thing looks like a sweet fighter.

That's just a basic 3 channel elevon setup with no vectoring.

LB

Last edited: