Combining Lipos to increase mah output?

jack10525

I have a few smaller 3s lipos (1000mah-1300mah). I also have larger planes that use 3s-4s lipos. Is there a way to connect lipos together to double the mah rating but keep the voltage the same?

kdobson83

You hook them up in parallel. They have to all have the same cell count and charge percentage. No using a dead battery with a charged one. They make connectors for them or you can make your own. Here one for example on Amazon.

Hobbysky 2pcs No Wires 1 XT-60 Male to 2 XT-60 Female XT60 Parallel Battery Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZ5VPO2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vUxVAbSQ1WK9Y

Basically turns your two 1300 3s battery's into one 2600 3s.

The other option is to connect them in series. Would turn your two 1300 3s batteries into 1 1300 6s battery. But what you were asking for would be parallel connectors. I used the one I linked above on my blunt nose versa. Put an extra battery up front for nose weight so I got one of these and double my capacity. 30 minute flights compared to 10-15.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You hook them up in parallel. They have to all have the same cell count and charge percentage. No using a dead battery with a charged one. They make connectors for them or you can make your own. Here one for example on Amazon.

Hobbysky 2pcs No Wires 1 XT-60 Male to 2 XT-60 Female XT60 Parallel Battery Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZ5VPO2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vUxVAbSQ1WK9Y

The other option is to connect them in series. Would turn your two 1300 3s batteries into 1 1300 6s battery. But what you were asking for would be parallel connectors. I used the one I linked above on my blunt nose versa. Put an extra battery up front for nose weight so I got one of these and double my capacity. 30 minute flights compared to 10-15.

Exactly correct.

I just want to add that it is extremely important to make sure that your batteries are at VERY close to the same charge before you connect them together. Like within 0.1V per cell, so 0.3V on a 3s. As soon as you connect them, their voltages will equalize, with the higher charging the lower. This will happen instantly, and the amount of current involved can exceed your batteries charge rating and poof. Big fire. Check them every time you connect them, even if you checked them 5 minutes before.

I'l also add that you can connect batteries with different capacities in parallel, so a 1500 + 2200mah together is fine as long as they're both the same number of cells and close in voltage. NEVER connect a 3s and 4s in parallel. (or any other differing combination). Again, big fire :)

Bricks

Master member
Actually it does not happen poof and they equalize it can take up to 3 minutes or more for them to equalize. I do this often enough when say I have only flown 2 batteries and I charged three. I will hook the 2 to my parallel charging board let them equalize then add my fully charged battery takes a couple of minutes for the batteries to equalize out. Not saying anyone else should do this but just stating my actual experience. It is not super critical that all batteries be exactly the same charge when hooking up parallel just within reason and it not cause an issue.

jack10525

Thank you!!!! This is exactly what I wanted to know.