Cruiser Electronic Problems

Dyscrasia

So, I 'm putting together a FT Cuiser, and it's my first attempt with a multi-motor electric. I'm up to the point of installing the ESC's and making sure the motors turn in the proper directions. I tried using a Spektrum DX7 transmitter with a Spektrum AR630 receiver. I bound the first ESC and the associated motor worked fine with the 2200 battery. Got it to spin the right way and was progressing nicely. I tried plugging the receiver into the second ESC, turned on the transmitter, watched the receiver light come on, glow steady and heard a lot of uninterpretable beeps. The second motor twitched and would not respond to the transmitter throttle. So what am I doing wrong. Is the AR630 with SAFE incompatible with this set up? I've never used SAFE, and I don't know what it will do with the FliteTest ESC.

I also tried using the servo tester on that ESC, using the 2200 battery and and setting it up like Josh Bixler did in the video... I made sure that the connections were correct and positive battery balance lead was connected to the positive on the servo tester, but all three lights lit up on the tester and I got no response from the motor. How have I screwed up? Any hints for advancing this dilemma?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I tried plugging the receiver into the second ESC, turned on the transmitter, watched the receiver light come on, glow steady and heard a lot of uninterpretable beeps...
Where both ESC's hooked up at the same time? If so, make sure only one is supplying power. The red wire on one of them needs to be disconnected. Use a servo extension if you want to use the ESC in another plane. When both ate supplying power, they can fight each other, one calling for higher voltage & the other for lower voltage

Try hooking them up one at a time.
..I also tried using the servo tester on that ESC, using the 2200 battery and and setting it up like Josh Bixler did in the video...
When using a servo tester, hook the sero lead from the ESC to the servo side of the tester.

Dyscrasia

Where both ESC's hooked up at the same time? If so, make sure only one is supplying power. The red wire on one of them needs to be disconnected. Use a servo extension if you want to use the ESC in another plane. When both ate supplying power, they can fight each other, one calling for higher voltage & the other for lower voltage

Try hooking them up one at a time.

When using a servo tester, hook the sero lead from the ESC to the servo side of the tester.
Merv, thanks for the reply. 1) Only one ESC was hooked up at a time. I treated both of them as separate units. I bound the receiver and then used it with the first escape. Then I disconnected the first ESC and the Receiver. Next I hooked up the battery, second ESC and Receiver. Nada.
2) I did connect the lead from the ESC to the servo side and the battery to the battery side, making sure that the + pole was correct.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Your ESC might have a bad wire going to the motor. Try unhooking 1 of the 3 wires to see if it makes a difference in motor responds. If you find no response, that is the wire that is broken. If you can fix the break your in business.

Otherwise, you have a bad ESC.

Last edited:

Dyscrasia

Merv, thanks for the reply. 1) Only one ESC was hooked up at a time. I treated both of them as separate units. I bound the receiver and then used it with the first escape. Then I disconnected the first ESC and the Receiver. Next I hooked up the battery, second ESC and Receiver. Nada.
2) I did connect the lead from the ESC to the servo side and the battery to the battery side, making sure that the + pole was correct.

Dyscrasia

Merv
The setup works! I tried a number of manuevers. I checked the wires and connections. I made sure everything was intact. I switched out the ESC and got my motor to run. It was a little jittery at first, but then it took off, like it had to have a break in run. Next I switched back to the original ESC, and after playing a melody ( I don't know what all the notes represent) the motor worked. I put the plane together and tested the controls, they all seem to function. The second motor starts a bit after the first, let's hope it continues to break in appropriately. It may have been something funky in the connections, I don't know, But I pulled and pushed the bullet connectors a few times. Thanks for your help.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...But I pulled and pushed the bullet connectors a few times...
Sounds like one of the bullet connectors has a bad solder joint. Try gently tugging on the connector to see if it will come off the wire, if is is bad it will fall off in your hand.