CW vs CCW motors

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So I'm looking at building a Simple Soarer and I'm going to put a motor on it to just get it up in the air to glide. In looking over buying a motor, I see there's a CW and a CCW version of the MT2213 recommended motor.

My question is thus:

If I were to buy a CW motor because that's what the LHS has in stock, couldn't I just wire it up to the ESC so it runs CCW? Or is that harmful to the motor?

Hopefully someone will be able to give me the scoop on this; I don't want to buy the wrong thing and have to suck it up; the LHS doesn't do refunds.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The difference will be in the threads on the motorshaft.

Use a stop nut (nylock) and it shouldn't matter. Don't use a stop nut and if the prop hits anything, it will likely unscrew and fly off..... makes a nasty pop sound when it happens and then your model heads for the dirt.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The difference will be in the threads on the motorshaft.

Use a stop nut (nylock) and it shouldn't matter. Don't use a stop nut and if the prop hits anything, it will likely unscrew and fly off..... makes a nasty pop sound when it happens and then your model heads for the dirt.

That's easy enough; I have a buttload of M5 lock nuts, and I know where I can get a gross or two of them if I need. :)

Sounds like I may have something for a EPP plane I bought at the AMA Expo, and a motor for a Simple Soarer! :)