Daz's FT P-40 build

DazDaMan

Elite member
editor_images_1557948925398-222950_69e52e55808b73db8629b4872a80e8b0.png

So, I treated myself to one of these today, and it should be with me next week. I'm kinda looking forward to building it!

Show me your P-40s builds to give me some inspiration!

SSgt Duramax

I am a huge supporter of this plane. I am nearly done with a modded version (my second). Gonna start a thread on it soon. It has split flaps (easy for you to add if you have the servos) a detachable top hatch, a 3D printed lower, smooth airfoil and fiberglassed undercamber wingtips1. Of course a larger than average motor wakes it up a ton.

My first one.

20211209_001210.jpg

After its retirement flight.

20220227_172148.jpg

Split flaps.

20220313_233946.jpg

Wingtips.

20220313_214035.jpg

Internal servos.
20220316_223811.jpg

Removable top hatch (still working on securing it)

20220316_224319.jpg

Rats nest of gyros and shot of the motor.

20220317_201854.jpg

Nearing completion. Havent decided on paint yet.

20220316_224725.jpg

Attachments

• 20220315_232555.jpg
    20220315_232555.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

DbleDuce

Ha! I just ordered that very same plane. I am currently printing the 2 blade nose cone and the exhaust pipes I found on Thingiverse.

SSgt Duramax

That's cool. I rather like the flap idea - something I might consider for one of my warbirds.

Super simple. For this plane I just took a 9' piece of foam that was probably about 3 inches deep, then I removed the foam for a half an inch, placed it against the back lip of the trailing edge and just held it there and traced the wing from the top. Measure 3 inches in from the edge of the flap and draw a line up however far you want your servos mounted. (If I had to do it again I would mount further forward). Just make sure they are mounted in the same orientation as mine unless you want to buy a servo reverser or you can open your servos up and resolder some thing. You can't rewire these little cheapie ones.

Ha! I just ordered that very same plane. I am currently printing the 2 blade nose cone and the exhaust pipes I found on Thingiverse.

Be sure to print it out of PETG. Is it the one that has short, medium, and long? I printed the "long" one out of pla and it sploded. I have been fine with everything I have printed out of PETG.

DazDaMan

Elite member
I'm torn between these two very similar paint schemes.

Attachments

• 273387096_10159292586232217_8423799774183446001_n.jpg
    273387096_10159292586232217_8423799774183446001_n.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tony_banta2 (1).jpg
    tony_banta2 (1).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0

RossFPV

This thread is getting old but does anyone have any problems with the landing gear? It seems similar to the mustang and that had some people rip it out of the wing.

Andy.T.

I'm super excited to start a P-40 soon. After I folded the wing on my Explorer earlier in the week, I've been concerned about how to reinforce the P-40's wing. Does sliding the wing into the fuselage of the P-40 help prevent the wings from folding in half from the center just from the support added by the fuselage? What have others done and found necessary for extra strength on the this one?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I'm super excited to start a P-40 soon. After I folded the wing on my Explorer earlier in the week, I've been concerned about how to reinforce the P-40's wing. Does sliding the wing into the fuselage of the P-40 help prevent the wings from folding in half from the center just from the support added by the fuselage? What have others done and found necessary for extra strength on the this one?
I've flown mine HARD over the years and never had an issue with wing folding. You could always cut a thin plywood or basswood spar to attach to the foam spars if you are worried.

Also, if you haven't considered it, there are some cool skins for the P-40 from Rasterize. Check 'em out if you haven't yet.

DazDaMan

Elite member
I haven't got around to building mine yet - been too busy faffing around with Spitfires!

But it's definitely on the cards.

Andy.T.

I've flown mine HARD over the years and never had an issue with wing folding. You could always cut a thin plywood or basswood spar to attach to the foam spars if you are worried.

Also, if you haven't considered it, there are some cool skins for the P-40 from Rasterize. Check 'em out if you haven't yet.
Oooh those are nice looking! Curious, was your comment pertaining to a mighty mini or the 42" version? The one I'm going to build soon will be the 42". I have some thin carbon fiber strips that I was planning on gluing into the spars. But, where they meet in the center, I was wondering if it'd be smart to do a little something more, tying the two wing halves more.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Oooh those are nice looking! Curious, was your comment pertaining to a mighty mini or the 42" version? The one I'm going to build soon will be the 42". I have some thin carbon fiber strips that I was planning on gluing into the spars. But, where they meet in the center, I was wondering if it'd be smart to do a little something more, tying the two wing halves more.
I was referring to the 42" version- I suppose you could always do more, but you'll start to run into a weight penalty at some point. Its a pretty solid design, so unless you're planning on some crazy power with it, you should be fine with your CF strips for insurance.