dc motor plane

mazen

hi every one i m hoping that you make a video about brushed dc motor power plane like rs-555 or rs-775
and see if it can fly becouse there is no bldc motor in my area.
thx

jtrops

Those look like heavy motors with a lot of torque, and low rpms. Maybe a large slow flyer with a long prop?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Welcome Mazen!

As jtrops said, likely a large slow long prop build would work. Given you don't have access to a brushless motor, are there other limitations we should be aware of? For example, do you have the radio gear, access to lipo batteries, a brushed speed controller?

Also, within the RS family of motors there seems to be a wide range of capabilities. A quick google indicates that the RS-555 can have a range of operating voltages and no-load RPMs. Did you have a specific model in mind? I have something that looks like an RS-555, came out of an old cordless drill. Might play with it to see what its capabilities are.

DamoRC

Last edited:

mazen

Welcome Mazen!

As jtrops said, likely a large slow long prop build would work. Given you don't have access to a brushless motor, are there other limitations we should be aware of? For example, do you have the radio gear, access to lipo batteries, a brushed speed controller?

Also, within the RS family of motors there seems to be a wide range of capabilities. A quick google indicates that the RS-555 can have a range of operating voltages and no-load RPMs. Did you have a specific model in mind? I have something that looks like an RS-555, came out of an old cordless drill. Might play with it to see what its capabilities are.

DamoRC

I have a lot of limitations thats why i want an expert to try first in order to encourage me .

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I have a lot of limitations thats why i want an expert to try first in order to encourage me .

I'm sure if it's possible, we will be able to help you. However, we are still missing specifics of what you have already and what you are able to get. Can you provide some details?

Thanks

DamoRC

mazen

As i said i dont have bldc motor and also propeller
I m missing thrust info to chose which type of plane i will go for
And in order to 3d print the propeller i want some thrust test with dc motor rs 555
The esc is not a problem with dc motor
If some one can test the dc motor with a propeller and post a video it would be helpfull

RMDC

Part of the satisfaction of both scratch building RC planes and 3D printing is the iterative design process. Your best results may well come with picking a propeller style, printing it, setting up a thrust / electronics test rig, then trying another prop design and seeing if that improves your numbers or if you need to tweak it in another direction. Others probably won't be willing to run those tests for you, given that they don't have any investment in the project themselves. That's not to say that you won't find help with questions - but information is much simpler to provide than unpaid product testing!

That's all assuming, of course, that some time spent digging through RCGroups doesn't provide what you're seeking. The knowledge you need may well be out there already.

Also, depending on your 3D printing setup, printing propellers is a dicey proposal. You'll almost certainly be better off going with injection molded propellers ordered online. They're quite inexpensive, enough so that you could order several varieties and run those thrust tests without breaking your budget.

jtrops

The esc is not a problem with dc motor

It isn't a problem with a brushless motor either. The key is having the right ESC for the job.

As near as I can figure you will still need an ESC for a DC motor; otherwise, you would be passing the full draw of the motor through your receiver which would fry it. Just make sure that you get a brushed ESC of the right rating to handle the draw of the motor you are running, and you will be in good shape. Also, you might want get one with a BEC (battery elimination circuit) so you can run your Rx, and servos off of the same battery that is powering your motor.