Dlg choices

Pilot_35

I was looking to get into Dlg and saw the prices on some of them and was really surprised. I am new to Dlg which Dlg glider should I get? And is a 4 channel way better than a 3 channel? I was looking at the elf but saw it was only 3 channel and was wondering if that would effect how much you can grow with it. So I am looking for one under 200$ if it's a little more that is okay. And I am looking for one that I can grow a lot with and not have to buy another one for a long time.
Thanks

abieex

Mentor
I have an ELF that I purchased two years ago from Kennedy Composites. If you have not flown DLG before the ELF is a great place to start although its a little pricey once you have it all fitted out. 3 chan. is just fine and once you get the hang of it you can always upgrade to a crazy expensive carbon rocket! Check out RC Groups classifieds under sailplanes as theres always used stuff for sale. I still throw the ELF from time to time but not like I used to. Good luck PS- Send Crafty Dan a PM as hes really into DLG and could maybe offer up better advice.

bitogre

I have ordered a Epee which is a good low cost 1m DLG. I have yet to fly it but I think it is a good option to consider. I hope to be able to give you more information come the new year as I expect it to arrive any day now.

Redflier

Launch Mode
Looks pretty. Hope it flies well.

I have a UMX Whipit. Not the best dlg by any means, but small, portable, and fun!

bitogre

I have had a couple chances to fly my Epee and I love it.

Epee.jpg

It flies well and benefits from using ailerons to adjust camber. The V3 (which is the current version I just got) has a well designed nose that has a good amount of room for electronics.

It is a 3 channel (no rudder) and that is only a problem when you try to turn with flaps deployed. For most radios, you will have to remember to reduce flaps to turn when landing or, with OpenTX radios (like the Taranis), you can increase aileron weight (even make aileron weight proportional to how much flaps are deployed) so that you can still turn with flaps. Has not been a problem for me.