Douglas A-1D Skyraider build

leaded50

Legendary member
American single-seat attack aircraft in service from 1946 to the early 1980s, which also served during both the Korean War and Vietnam War.
The Skyraider had an unusually long career, remaining in front-line service well into the Jet Age , when most piston-engine attack or fighter aircraft were replaced by jet aircrafts.

Douglas A-1D Skyraider2.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
cant say why, but its something about this plane who attracts me :)

At first i planned make a bit "smaller" RC model, but after checking "my storage" on parts, i found mostly some bigger motors to use. At moment then its planned to be approx. 930mm long, who will give a wingspan of approx 1450mm at scale.

ive started with the internals...:

1710602009659.jpg

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Done "a bit" more... Firewall is glued in, with enough vents for air going trough here and there. Easier to get esc wiring to motor, chill the esc, and airstream on battery eg.
Cockpit is pretty done with framing and 3D printed pilot in approx correct sizing. (thats also the hatch for changing battery, check reciver + tailservos eg. Upper part of the rear with the tailfin is done, only missing lower skin there. Reason is needs make all connection mount of pushrods to rudder/elevator, servo /pushrod mount of side airbrakes, rear wheel with sttering(connection to rudder) , tailhook, eg.
If you see behind cockpit down on sides its part that have another color at moment, (its posterboard ) Thats the airbrake ! it angle out by a servo to lower speed when landing. A pretty big "shield", orginally also at bottom, its easy to understand the prefernces of the plane as a divebomber who was its planned service. Its pretty "crazy" to know, it could take a load bigger than the B-17 bomber. ......

1711049837548.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
its a bit challenging to see/use "the brain" to fix problems/solutions in building.... specially when your sick and pretty heavy medicined against pain..... After some tryes, i got the steerable rear wheel in place, and found a idea to get the fuselage side airbrakes in function. Also pushrods/controlhorn to tail is pretty much hidden.. (approx 10mm on rudder is missing..) ...