Dumas AD-2: Electric Conversion

DarkFire

Hello all!

As the title suggests, this thread is based around the build and conversion of exactly one Dumas AD-2 Skyraider. This kit is number 327 of the Dumas line, with a 30" wingspan. Feel free to look around, ask questions, and maybe give some sage advice to a rookie builder while you're here :D.

On to the pictures!

20171120_171606 (1).jpg 20171120_171611 (1).jpg

Full size plans to work on, which is always a plus.

P1180045.jpg

These Dumas kits come with a nice list of everything in the box. I use this to inventory everything before the build and keep things organized.

P1180043.jpg

Everything laid out to ensure no breakages occurred in transit. Considering the state of the box, it was surprising that only a little piece of 1/16 by 1/16 broke away from the rest (one stack over from the bottom left).

Anyway, that's the first step. This build will probably move pretty good until the Thanksgiving break ends, then it'll pick back up again Christmas break. In between those it might be a little slow. I'm thinking about using a FT power pack B for the conversion based on the size and weight estimates. Might be a bit overpowered, but I'll just call it a 3D plane :p

Thanks,
Dark

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Following closely because this is a project I want to do to a similar plane. I'm interested in your electronics choices and conversion mods.

Good luck!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
The B pack looks good, but you may want to run some ecalcs and research other motor and esc options. You might be able to get a lighter setup that has more power than the B pack. There is a lot of nice motor options these days.

DarkFire

Update #1 , Part One

Thanks to the replies on the electronics issue! I sadly do not know much about motors and ESC/motor combinations, even though I'm not new to the hobby.

I cleaned off the worktable form the L-19 build today and started work on the AD-2. This is part one of this first build update, mostly to show a few problems I encountered and my solutions. The second part of the update will come later tonight to show the progress I've made, as I still am working on the plane now.

Through distractions and some bad luck, I broke a few pieces and made a mistake.

The first mishap was a broken former, which was quickly glued back together and given some reinforcements on the break.

P1180047 - Copy.jpg

The second mishap happened early in the build and was realized later on down the line. Former 2 is made of three pieces; Former 2, 2A and 2B. 2A and 2B fit on top of Former 2 to create little resting places for stringers that will be put in. The instructions dictate to make two, one mirroring the other. Of course, I made 2 left formers :black_eyed:.

P1180052.jpg

As I cut the pieces 2A and 2B off one of the formers to rectify the mistake, the balsa from one piece clung to the others more than once, leading to the balsa being much thinner than was reasonably structurally sound.

P1180058.jpg

In this picture I put the piece of ripped balsa back on top of where it was originally.

I cut that little piece out and replaced it with some scrap of the same thickness. After adding a few splints, it was good as new!

P1180048 - Copy.jpg

DarkFire

Update #1 , Part Two

After the first build session, the center 'keel' and the left formers are finished.

P1180060.jpg

The only problem I have now is that the side keel doesn't fit very well at all, so there will have to be some modification in that area.

Other than that, this plane is going together really nice, helped by the clear instructions and well laid-out plans

Thanks,
Dark

DarkFire

Update #2

P1180063.jpg

The problem I mentioned in the last update with the side keel was tracked to the second former. A spot for a stringer to butt up against seemed to be in the wrong place, so i trimmed it down flush. After that the side keel fit like a dream.

P1180067.jpg

As a result of not checking the formers when I put the side keel on, the front-most former was angled about 5o aft. This would have been a problem when the cowl would be put on. When I cut the side keel away from the former, it was too short to still attach to the now properly angled former.

P1180075.jpg P1180079.jpg

To rectify this, I created a U-shaped splint to lengthen the side keel. After trimming the former to fit the splint, it just glued over the keel and to former.

P1180082.jpg

At this point the fuselage is almost to point where the 1/16 by 1/16 stringers will be installed. I'll need to start to make decisions on electronics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks,
Dark

EDIT: I don't know how to remove the attachment I put on this post, so enjoy the comic rat :p

Attachments

• Rat after RAT.jpg
    Rat after RAT.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0