Eclipson Model Sea

sky guy

Just had a great maiden flight of my modified Eclipson Model C. printed it with a 10% longer wingspan and larger tail surfaces. I adapted the design of Eclipson's set of struts to mate the floats from the Model T to this one. Here's some pictures and a video of maiden flight day landings and takeoffs from some pretty stiff water. Motor is FT B size with a 3S 1300. Prop is 8x6. LWPLA for plane and tough PLA for floats and float struts. All up flying weight is 800 grams with floats and whole lot less on the wheels. Can't wait to take it out to play at the local pond this summer. Flickr Album of Maiden Flight .

SSgt Duramax

Lots of folks like this one. I am trying to figure out what my next eclipson model will be. I was considering one of their big wings or the model s.

They fly great and your plane looks nice too.

Did you print your motor mount out of PLA? The reason I ask is I had a successful maiden with my model D, but a rough landing cracked my pla motor mount and my next take off resulted in my motor leaving the plane and a short second flight. Ill only do my motor mounts from PETG now...

sky guy

Lots of folks like this one. I am trying to figure out what my next eclipson model will be. I was considering one of their big wings or the model s.

They fly great and your plane looks nice too.

Did you print your motor mount out of PLA? The reason I ask is I had a successful maiden with my model D, but a rough landing cracked my pla motor mount and my next take off resulted in my motor leaving the plane and a short second flight. Ill only do my motor mounts from PETG now...
Thanks for that.
My motor mount is made from Tough PLA, Inland brand I believe. It’s less brittle than standard PLA. ABS is recommended primarily because it won’t melt as easily if your motor heats up. I have some spacers between my motor mount and the motor so that should help reduce the heat conduction to the motor mount. So far no signs of a problem. I also very carefully balanced my prop along the axis of the blades and across each blade so there is almost no detectable vibration when the motor is running. This should reduce stresses on the airframe in general.