EdgeTX and Aura 5 - My first attempt is downright frustrating!

So I got my son a Mighty Mini Trainer and we got it working great with the glider wing, but the aileron wing gave me some trouble today (two broken props and I had enough - time to install those linkage stoppers so i can adjust the elevator travel). After I got done with the linkage stoppers, I started tinkering with the aura. I think there's room for it in the trainer, if i take the power pod off to get it set up.

I eventually figured out to how took everything up... and it works! Wahoo!

I got it to bind to my Radiomaster R88 receiver and Boxer transmitter, wahoo!

Problems...
My throttle controls the ailerons, the rudder is the elevator and the elevator is the rudder... and when i work the aileron stick, the ECU starts beeping...
Can somebody please explain to me how to fix this? I tried everything I could think of... but I current my EdgeTX skills have failed me! Note: I set it up with 2 channels for ailerons, should i have used two?

I assume that after I fix this I will need to recalibrate the ECU, just like I did when I first built the plan and go it flying... yes?

In reflection, they make it look so easy in the videos, but with EdgeTX there are so many things that can go wrong! (They leave out so many of the details!) I don't know how anybody is able to figure this all out without you guys!

I wish I understood this well enough to go out and make my own Youtube videos on how to set this stuff up! All I can do I right now is show you how to raise chickens... which I've interestingly learned really don't like airplanes! They must be close enough to something that would normally eat them...

luvmy40

Elite member
So, this is not from personal experience. Just from what I have read here about the Aura 5.

You need to set up your radio model as a normal 4 channel plane. all channels normal, no reversed channels. The rest of the set up is all done with the Aura. It has also been noted that it is much easier to set the Aura up via usb connection to a PC and the Aura software.

Hope this helps. I'm sure someone who has actually used the Aura will chime in soon.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@luvmy40 is correct. ALL of the mixing needs to be done in the Aura and not in the radio. The radio needs to pass raw throttle, aileron, elevator, and rudder. You can do either single or dual aileron channel output in the Aura.

Pictures of your build along with a description of what servos are plugged in to which port of the Aura would help us help you.

It would also help us to know weather your edgetx is set up for TAER or AETR channel mapping.

Cheers!
LitterBug

At this point I don’t remember, as I played with it while trying to figure it out last night… but I think I had it set up using AETR. It makes no difference to me what I use, so feel free to pick one and tell me how to do it!

In regards to what controls were plugged into the Aura, I matched what was in the instructions for the Aura…

S1: Throttle (ECU)
S2: Left aileron
S3: Right aileron
S4: Elevator
S5: Rudder
B: Sbus from R88 receiver

To my knowledge there is not any mixing being done in the TX, as I don’t know how to do that yet…

In the pictures you can see on have two extension wires for the ailerons and everything else is as described. The last two show where I hope to install the Aura… not sure where else it would fit! 188E87AF-D8F3-4AFF-A9DD-B473A9A11B61.jpeg
AE78471E-51F1-433E-BCD2-E922FC007806.jpeg 180CC78F-2D67-411C-86ED-59557A572285.jpeg B8CAC8B9-AD45-41A0-A7E4-99F52CD941AE.jpeg
Note the power pod is removed for these. Obviously I’d have to put that back on to fly it. It all fits, hopefully the ECU gets enough cooling airflow though… although it doesn’t get too horribly hot in Michigan.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The fact that your throttle and ailerons are mixed leads me to believe your radio mapping is AETR and the Aura is currently expecting it to be TAER. What those mappings mean for channel numbers
AETR
1 Aileron
2 Elevator
3 Throttle
4 Rudder

TAER
1 Throttle
2 Aileron
3 Elevator
4 Rudder

There are two ways to fix that. 1) use the Aura configuration tool to tell the Aura to use the other mapping. 2) change the mapping for the model in your radio.

Don't worry about cooling for the Aura. Mine are buried deep in my models with no airflow and have had no issues. You do have to make sure it is firmly attached to the model. Any movement will cause it to try to correct the flight path. Not sure what is beeping unless it is your motor. The Aura doesn't have a beeper. At any rate, make sure you do NOT have a prop on your motor until all the mapping issues are resolved.

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This has been rattling in the back of my head. I finally figured out by ECU you were referring to the ESC beeping. In the RC world, the are normally referred to as Elelectronic Speed Control ESC rather than Electronic Control Unit ECU. The beeping was probably the ESC being in programming mode since it was on a non throttle channel with the signal at midpoint when it was brought up. You will at a minimum have to reset the endpoints after getting the channel mapping correct.

LB

The fact that your throttle and ailerons are mixed leads me to believe your radio mapping is AETR and the Aura is currently expecting it to be TAER. What those mappings mean for channel numbers
AETR
1 Aileron
2 Elevator
3 Throttle
4 Rudder

TAER
1 Throttle
2 Aileron
3 Elevator
4 Rudder

There are two ways to fix that. 1) use the Aura configuration tool to tell the Aura to use the other mapping. 2) change the mapping for the model in your radio.

Don't worry about cooling for the Aura. Mine are buried deep in my models with no airflow and have had no issues. You do have to make sure it is firmly attached to the model. Any movement will cause it to try to correct the flight path. Not sure what is beeping unless it is your motor. The Aura doesn't have a beeper. At any rate, make sure you do NOT have a prop on your motor until all the mapping issues are resolved.

LB
Don’t forget the elevator and rudder were mixed up too! Probably same issue: I believe you are right! I’ll take another stab at creating a new model using TAER and see what happens.

You are also correct on the ECU/ ESC. I think I’m going to have to recalibrate that with the new model, which I was able to barely figure out the first time…

The ESC is what I’m worried about cooling…

It’ll be fun! Then off to figure out how to trim things out…

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It's possible output channels 4 and 5 were hooked to the wrong servos. That could explain elevator and rudder being swapped.....

dap35

Elite member
It looks to me a lot like the channel order from the TX is not what the Aura is expecting. I use FrSky, which is also AETR and always have to go into the Aura config utility to re-order the channels. Otherwise, I see exactly what you are.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I started out with Spektrum and TAER. Since most of my models were originally set up TAER, I kept everything that way when switching to opentx. To this day, I still use TAER by default even as I move everything off my Spektrum TX. It's not right or wrong, just my way to keep the fleet simple by not having different mappings for every model. Especially since I can't remap the outputs on my BNF models.

Pick what works best for you. If you are more comfortable remapping the radio, do that. Changing it on the Aura, do that. But keep in mind that if you are a complete addict, your fleet may grow exponentially. Keeping your gear set up similarly will help you in the long run.

So I just spent a coupe hours trying to figure this out. If the intent of Flight test is to bring father (parents) and kids together, it is failing miserably. I'm sure if I could make the 8 hour drive to flight fest one of you guys would get me set up in about 5 minutes, but I'm about ready to package this Aura thing up and send it back... or take it out back and perforate it with my frustrations and never look back.

This is probably why some of you recommended I start out with a non- open or edge TX transmitter. I get it now... I wish I had spent $50 on a an idiot proof transmitter... and spent the remainder of it on more props and probably another airplane or spare parts after one of my kids tries to take the airplane subterranean.

I really had thought this would be something I could figure out and step my way through... or maybe I'll go back to just flying the glider wing and try and convince myself that 4 channel flight just isn't for me. Maybe I'll just go take my kids to the park so they can play on the playground instead of leaning to fly an airplane.

<sigh> I'm sure I'll be back at some point... I seem to be a glutton for punishment with stuff like this. We'll see...

Before I give up... if any of you have any recommendations... aside from "You should try ____ (Insert function that I probably can't figure out how to do, like set up the Aura to work with AETR transmitter or how to switch my transmitter over to TAER, which has eluded me for the last 45 minutes)... of a phone number I can call for some person or company that can help me figure this out, I really would appreciated it.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Here's my suggestion for what it's worth -
I've flown without the Aura 5 and with it. My initial experience with trying to set it up was unsatisfactory since I basically didn't know what the plane was supposed to do to begin with. See https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-best-it-will-ever-look.66564/page-2#post-659634
I suggest you go back to the trainer wing without ailerons until you can fly it confidently. Forget the Aura for now. Then switch to the aileron wing with the aileron throws set to the low rate deflection AND set the expo for the ailerons somewhere between 35% to 59% (yeah that's high). Then learn to fly it in gentle maneuvers. Gradually increase what you ask of it.
OR - Get an experienced pilot to set up and tune the Aura so the plane flies correctly.

Bricks

Master member
NO NO NO NO NO NO don`t give up yet we will get something worked out.

Edge aka Open transmitter can be a pain don`t give up yet. Try this with your Aura start with a new model, if your transmitter is still AETR hook it up TAER leave the radio alone, your channel 3 on transmitter gets plugged into channel 1 on the Aura, continue with the rest the same way. The AURA should not care where or what channel on the radio as long as it sees TAER coming from the transmitter. I think this should work.

Maybe LitterBug will help with a phone call I would but I am still pretty new too Edge and OTX, other wise I would be up for it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If you PM me here on the forums, I can work with you to set up a time for a phone call and/or video chat. If you are heading to Flite Fest, we could meet up there too.

LB

dap35

Elite member
It might be worth trying to use the Aura config app to set the rx type to Futaba. Futaba has the same channel order AETR and I didn't have this problem when I used Futaba. While there is a way in the config app to change the channel mapping on the Aura, if it works this would be easier. I just wish I had tried it before.

If you PM me here on the forums, I can work with you to set up a time for a phone call and/or video chat. If you are heading to Flite Fest, we could meet up there too.

LB
Oh I wish we could go to flite fest... that would be glorious! I'm going to have to see if I can swing that next year! (PM inbound)

NO NO NO NO NO NO don`t give up yet we will get something worked out.

Edge aka Open transmitter can be a pain don`t give up yet. Try this with your Aura start with a new model, if your transmitter is still AETR hook it up TAER leave the radio alone, your channel 3 on transmitter gets plugged into channel 1 on the Aura, continue with the rest the same way. The AURA should not care where or what channel on the radio as long as it sees TAER coming from the transmitter. I think this should work.

Maybe LitterBug will help with a phone call I would but I am still pretty new too Edge and OTX, other wise I would be up for it.
Ugh... I can't give up. I'm a stubborn glutten for punishment! If nothing else, I'd be too frustrated to live with myself for giving up! I might have taken 5 years to get through engineering school... and my GPA might not have been at the top of the class... but if I can do that, I should be able to do this!

If only there was a text book and solutions manual for Edge TX and the Aura... group tests (you guys) with open books are the next best thing!