Electronics

Hola all, building a V1 doodlebug so I have a EDF in the jet pipe and I have fitted another in the nose venting out at the bottom to keep the nose up both EDFs are different ratings both have a 80 amp ESC the more powerful EDF is heating up the ESC (do I need a bigger one?) the other EDF is running but shuts down at full throttle and start way after the 1st EDF any suggestions guys Thanks.

Ian8Whit

I think the more powerful EDF is putting to much voltage into the Esc making it heat up I also think that may be why the other less powerful EDF starts later and ends up powering down. I think that is a certain safety feature that the Esc has to prevent it from being damaged when it gets too hot.

quorneng

Master member
m&m
I am completely baffled as to why you would need a second EDF to "keep the nose up2. The full size managed quite well with just a single jet and not a very powerful one at that considering its weight.

If one ESC is getting too warm then it is either being over loaded or needs more cooling. The electronics in an ESC do not like to get too hot which is why most do have some sort of thermal protection, either cutting the power completely or reducing the power (amps) it will pass.
I hope you have measured the full power amps on both EDFs using a wattmeter. Finding out how close the full power amps are to each ESC limit is the only safe way to proceed.

My V-1 had a single 55mm EDF right at the nose of the pipe so it could retain its bell mouth for maximum slow speed thrust. Important so it can be hand launched.
DuctFront.JPG

Even mildly aerobatic performing very non scale loops and rolls. It did have ailerons which of course the full side did not.
14Apr21.JPG

For balance the battery is right at the front just behind the nose cone. Note the ESC's 'fingered' heatsink to ensure it is adequately cooled.
It does fly well.
Decorated as a Republic JB2 which was an exact copy of the V-1 and built in some numbers (airframe by Willys, pulse jet by Ford) but was cancelled by the war end and used only for testing hence the high visibility paint job.

So keep trying. Get it right and it really does fly!

I think the more powerful EDF is putting to much voltage into the Esc making it heat up I also think that may be why the other less powerful EDF starts later and ends up powering down. I think that is a certain safety feature that the Esc has to prevent it from being damaged when it gets too hot.
Hi I think you have nailed it thanks.

m&m
I am completely baffled as to why you would need a second EDF to "keep the nose up2. The full size managed quite well with just a single jet and not a very powerful one at that considering its weight.

If one ESC is getting too warm then it is either being over loaded or needs more cooling. The electronics in an ESC do not like to get too hot which is why most do have some sort of thermal protection, either cutting the power completely or reducing the power (amps) it will pass.
I hope you have measured the full power amps on both EDFs using a wattmeter. Finding out how close the full power amps are to each ESC limit is the only safe way to proceed.

My V-1 had a single 55mm EDF right at the nose of the pipe so it could retain its bell mouth for maximum slow speed thrust. Important so it can be hand launched.
View attachment 243039
Even mildly aerobatic performing very non scale loops and rolls. It did have ailerons which of course the full side did not.
View attachment 243040
For balance the battery is right at the front just behind the nose cone. Note the ESC's 'fingered' heatsink to ensure it is adequately cooled.
It does fly well.
Decorated as a Republic JB2 which was an exact copy of the V-1 and built in some numbers (airframe by Willys, pulse jet by Ford) but was cancelled by the war end and used only for testing hence the high visibility paint job.

So keep trying. Get it right and it really does fly!
Thanks for the info and vid.

Hi going to put a 100 amp ESC instead of the 80 and see what happens? thanks.