F-22 Raptor - Twin 64mm EDF

TheWes

Crash Test Dummy
Last year, I had the itch to start building again, hard. I started with some bloody WWII planes and it began to spiral out of control resulting in an X-29, custom 860mm camera drone and this. I had an idea to build a Strike Eagle because they are strong, elegant and highly maneuverable. Once I started building it, I saw that another member in the community had started building his own and not wanting to steal his thunder nor feel like a copy cat, I decided to challenge myself further with making the next generation air superiority fighter, the F-22 Raptor. I started with a mock-up of the Eagle when I ordered the EDF's from China and ever so patiently waited for them to arrive. They finally did and I realized that I screwed up when I mocked up the plane, not taking the thickness of foamboard into consideration. D'OH!!!
Oh well, I had to scrap the whole plane anyway and I went forward with the next generation fighter.
I've really enjoyed building this plane, even though I took almost 6 months of breaks while building it. The final result is a slightly tail heavy airplane that loves to snap into high alpha and flutter down to earth like a screaming, angry leaf of imminent death. So far it has only seen the maiden flight as the weather around me has fallen to this disappointing mix of wind or rain when I am not at work. I'm hoping to a second flight today or some time this week after work, weather permitting.

Now, as far as plans are concerned, there are none. I just built this off a 1/35 Revell model and photos from the internet. There was a lot of cutting, trimming and starting over to build this. The exhaust nozzles look like they are thrust vectoring but they are not. I might cut them off and try that but I don't think the C.G. will allow that without making the plane that much heavier.

20180122_190956.jpg

This was the result from me not compensating for the thickness of the foam and using the fans outer dimensions as the inner dimensions of the jet.
20180124_200253.jpg

I used a fair amount of math to neck down the thrust tubes to match the square area of the fans themselves. You can see some of the math scribed onto the circular piece of foam board at the top right of the photo. I wanted to make sure I had a 10% restriction at the exit nozzle so I could really get this jet to scream!!
In level flight, this thin does HAUL!!!

20180127_220458.jpg
20180127_220507.jpg
20180127_224140.jpg
20180127_232700.jpg
20180127_232706.jpg
20180127_232718.jpg

Here you can see one of the reference photos I used to make this airplane. My girlfriend has a sketching projector that we used to blow up this photo against the wall. From there we quickly transferred the projection to the foam board and I went from there. I used the scale model as a basic proportions reference.

20180128_000449.jpg
20180128_000503.jpg

TheWes

Crash Test Dummy
From this point, I started working on the wings. They are made of 4 symmetrical pieces of foam board sandwiched over a 3/16 piece of balsa board. The result was a wing so strong, it can support 25lbs placed directly along the center of the wing, being supported only at the wingtips. I was anticipating a lot higher speed from this build and I did not want the wings to fold or even flex in flight. I've definitely achieved my goal of having stiff wings! This goal did cause me to lose out on one critical factor, ailerons. with they way they sit together, I could not cut ailerons into them. This is fine because after learning this and looking at the size of the ailerons represented in the model, I decided that tail control would be sufficient and for the most part, it is! Its only at slower air speeds that they begin to feel sluggish.
20180204_175714.jpg
20180204_182439.jpg

Using a ton of references for the tail, I had to cut three templates to get the portions correct.
Cut, fit, trim, refit, redo....

20180205_192217.jpg

The exhaust nozzles were my favourite part of the build. They were easy and they turned out amazing!
Talk about instant gratification!!!

20180210_232050.jpg
20180210_235958.jpg
20180211_000002.jpg

It was at this point that it was really starting to look like a Raptor. I had found its shape.

20180212_212446.jpg

Probably the hardest part of the tail section, was getting the verticals just right. They were definitely tough. You can't see it from the picture but they sit across a point where the body changes shape. That in combination with their angle made the base very hard to match up evenly.

20180212_233600.jpg

Here you can kind of see the arch they sit on. It is slight but it is mean!

20180212_233629.jpg

Reference photo. I think this end turned out quite well!!!

20180212_233720.jpg

TheWes

Crash Test Dummy
Right now I am working on putting a youtube video together to show the maiden. It was quite scary a few times when I was watching my hard work start tumbling towards the ground! But at the end, when the battery beeper was yelling at me, I managed to get the plane lined up for a landing. A perfect landing, I might add!

Robotchild

I think I am going to build it my self but I have a few questions first.

1. What EDF and esc did you use
2. Did you Use a splitter to put both of the esc leads on the throttle or did you just use one esc
3. What battery did you use and what was your flight time

I would appreciate it if you got back to me soon. Thanks

Seahunter

Great job . You do beautiful work. Looking forward to see your video. I want to build a ducted fan jet model some day, don't know where I'd put it. Planes and projects hanging everywhere. Thanks for the share!:)