F-86 Sabre - 50mm EDF

Jfrederick

done

f-86 done.jpg

Jfrederick

Sorry its not straight but its been a long day lol. I got the cg set and it seems to be ready if the wind isn't to bad tomorrow, i will post the video on the flite test FB page tomorrow! I gotta say it was a breeze to build and the only issues i had were finding the time needed to complete it. If i would have had all the parts necessary i think it could be built in a day.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Dang that looks good! I can't wait to see the video!! What kind of battery are you using? Yeah, when i rebuilt it it took 2 hours, maybe.

Jfrederick

Hello!

I ended up giving up on the power system in the old one and have downloaded the v3 plans to build my 64mm one. I have one question though and that is where do you line up your elevator with on the fuse? I think i was pretty close on my first one but im just curious how yours is?

Zephyr1

Elite member
Sabre Tail.JPG

Looks great man! I put the tail right below the one line, I think you can see it in the picture.
I love that you figured out how to get the tail to only use 1 servo. How's the flight characteristics with the bigger motor?

EDIT: I've uploaded a V4 version of the Fuse plans with the cuts for the elevators.

Last edited:
well.. my plane didnt fly! first attempt the plane nose dived..place the battery further then it was iverted as soon as Ihand launched.. my edf is at the bottom of the fuselage unlike yours guys..maybe that's the reason.

Chuppster

Well, I've finally got around to starting to put mine together. Were the plans meant to be this way? There's a gap at the thickest part of the wing but overlap on the trailing edge.
2018-05-10 22.39.20.jpg
2018-05-10 22.39.26.jpg
Is there supposed to be any dihedral?

Zephyr1

Elite member
well.. my plane didnt fly! first attempt the plane nose dived..place the battery further then it was iverted as soon as Ihand launched.. my edf is at the bottom of the fuselage unlike yours guys..maybe that's the reason.

I'm sorry to hear that! Yeah, the CG on this plane is very touchy. Too much back weight and you're in trouble. I don't think the problem is the EDF on the bottom of the fuse. What kind of battery did you use?

Zephyr1

Elite member
Well, I've finally got around to starting to put mine together. Were the plans meant to be this way? There's a gap at the thickest part of the wing but overlap on the trailing edge. Is there supposed to be any dihedral?

Awesome! I'm glad you're going to build it! Yes, that is the way the wings were designed. I need to go through the plans and revamp those wings to make them line up correctly. What I've done is to trim the bottom of the wings to prevent the overlap, and stuff some foamboard in the gap up front. There is not supposed to be any dihedral.

Chuppster

Awesome! I'm glad you're going to build it! Yes, that is the way the wings were designed. I need to go through the plans and revamp those wings to make them line up correctly. What I've done is to trim the bottom of the wings to prevent the overlap, and stuff some foamboard in the gap up front. There is not supposed to be any dihedral.

That's what I figured, so I just filled the gap with a skewer. The build went okay, but for some reason my EDF won't keep it in the air. It just slowly glides down to the ground. I have this EDF on 4s: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-50mm-alloy-edf-v2-4200kv-4s-version.html

I may have to find something with a little more power.

Zephyr1

Elite member
I think you do. I looked and your fan is maxing out at 550g of thrust. I’ve been using a 12 blade one from Banggood. It produces around 850g I beleive.

I'm sorry to hear that! Yeah, the CG on this plane is very touchy. Too much back weight and you're in trouble. I don't think the problem is the EDF on the bottom of the fuse. What kind of battery did you use?
I used 4s 50c 1000mah venom battery with FMS 11 blade 50mm edf. So where is the CG . and where should I mount the edf please

Zephyr1

Elite member
That’s the motor I use but it’s a smaller battery. You’re gonna want to put the battery as far forward in the nose as possible, maybe extend the battery shelf forward a bit and reduce the back half of the shelf.

There’s a post a few pages back regarding the CG placement. That’s about as far back as it’ll fly.

Make sure you move the motor as far forward as you can. Probably an inch or so behind where the wings join the fuse.

Goodluck!